Music DVD Poll Pink Floyd - Pulse

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-V "Pink Floyd - Pulse"

• Total voters
What is happening here? Tracks missing, tracks in the wrong order, arewe talking 2 different nights then? Looks likely.
Perhaps we ought to make our own compilation - with all the material.

The DVD is based on a single performance, originally recorded as a pay-per-view TV show. There have been little fixes here and there, but it's allegedly fundamentally just that show. I don't have a copy of the original PPV, but completists probably should.

The CD is a compilation of dates from England, Italy and Germany. Allegedly there are no overdubs at all, though there are cases where a single song is patched together from multiple sources in an attempt to create a single "perfect" version.

Fans with a much greater obsession (and bigger 1994 bootleg collection) than mine have compiled a list of what was recorded where at the bottom of http://pinkfloydhyperbase.dk/albums/pulse.htm.

I don't think the tracklisting of the DVD has been altered in any way. The 1994 laserdisc did shuffle some songs around in order to fit the entire thing on three sides without a break in DSOTM.

I'[m surprised there aren't more negative comments on the video quality. It sounds great and the visuals in the concert are awesome, but on my bigscreen they are not reproduced very well. The long shots, the ones where you can see the light show and the full stage, are not crisp at all. even though it is anamorphic, the look reminds me of a couple non-anamorphic dvd's I have. This dvd looked great on my old 36" crt, but moving up to a 67" hdtv reveals a lotta flaws. I'm pretty sure this originates from the source, not the transfer, but its worth noting. So what woulda been a 10 I give an 8 due to video. That being said, if anyone still doesn't have this yet- get it! As said above, the amount of content is very generous and of the highest quality, with PQ being the only caveat.

I'[m surprised there aren't more negative comments on the video quality. It sounds great and the visuals in the concert are awesome, but on my bigscreen they are not reproduced very well. The long shots, the ones where you can see the light show and the full stage, are not crisp at all. even though it is anamorphic, the look reminds me of a couple non-anamorphic dvd's I have. This dvd looked great on my old 36" crt, but moving up to a 67" hdtv reveals a lotta flaws. I'm pretty sure this originates from the source, not the transfer, but its worth noting. So what woulda been a 10 I give an 8 due to video. That being said, if anyone still doesn't have this yet- get it! As said above, the amount of content is very generous and of the highest quality, with PQ being the only caveat.

PULSE was shot on standard definition broadcast video tape. The picture quality of the DVD could not be improved. This was the biggest reason the DVD release took forever. The producers had to do their best to make the video at least look presentable on DVD. Don't hold out for a Blu-ray release, it will never happen.

Delicate Sound of Thunder was shot on film. It could be released in HD. However it would need to be re-edited without all the slow motion and slow dissolves.

A_L

A 9. I own this on a 2 CD flasher, VCD and DVD. If you give a hoot about Floyd, this is essential. My first listen of the CD was in the shower on a cruise. My friend Peter was playing it in his cabin next door. Pulsing though the wall. Peter, is that Pulse? You bet. I ran out to get it when we were back at shore. The performances here are stellar. Oddly, I liked it better when I heard it than when I saw it. I felt the same way about the Who at Isle of Wight. Shades of the Chicago Kennedy/Nixon debate.

Technically, much could be better: DTS, video quality. Yet, it's far from awful. Certainly a qualified WOW! Hence, 9.

In theory. Jon's comments are right on the money. With due respect, I think Jon's slightly off the mark. Record companies are responsive to the ring of the cash register more than anything. They may take note of kudos and complaints. If sales were better on Quad and/or DVD-A, we'd be swimming in the stuff. The market dictates what we get. We vote with our $$.
I do! I do!

He means that we should be thankful for what we get. If we are always bitching and moaning about everything that comes out, well, then, nothing will come out! :D

still doesn't mean we shouldn't point out what we don't like!

This dvd is a must have. Long shots are fuzzy, worse on big screen tv. I read it was on vhs originally, too bad it cannot be cleaned up. If any, PF deserves to be in HD. Having missed them when they came to Syracuse, (I won't go any further) that was a major dissapointment, I have this video. The secret is to drink a boatload of beer 1st, with beer goggles on it won't make a difference. I gave it a 9.

PULSE was shot on standard definition broadcast video tape. The picture quality of the DVD could not be improved. This was the biggest reason the DVD release took forever. The producers had to do their best to make the video at least look presentable on DVD. Don't hold out for a Blu-ray release, it will never happen.

Delicate Sound of Thunder was shot on film. It could be released in HD. However it would need to be re-edited without all the slow motion and slow dissolves.

A_L

So- somebody get busy on that DSoT blu- while you're at it, give the br treatment to Pompeii!

A 9. I own this on a 2 CD flasher, VCD and DVD. If you give a hoot about Floyd, this is essential. My first listen of the CD was in the shower on a cruise. My friend Peter was playing it in his cabin next door. Pulsing though the wall. Peter, is that Pulse? You bet. I ran out to get it when we were back at shore. The performances here are stellar. Oddly, I liked it better when I heard it than when I saw it. I felt the same way about the Who at Isle of Wight. Shades of the Chicago Kennedy/Nixon debate.

Technically, much could be better: DTS, video quality. Yet, it's far from awful. Certainly a qualified WOW! Hence, 9.

I have no problem with the sound on Pulse. Just wish that awesome light show could be seen as it deserves to be seen.

This dvd is a must have. Long shots are fuzzy, worse on big screen tv. I read it was on vhs originally, too bad it cannot be cleaned up. If any, PF deserves to be in HD. Having missed them when they came to Syracuse, (I won't go any further) that was a major dissapointment, I have this video. The secret is to drink a boatload of beer 1st, with beer goggles on it won't make a difference. I gave it a 9.

lol beer goggles for watching video! At least you wouldn't wake up the next morning and think omg- I watched THAT?!?!?

Love this concert!

I have both the DVD and the Laserdisc of this concert. Personally I like the pq of the Laserdisc and the sound of the DVD. I too am surprised we didn't get a DTS track on the DVD considering PF has always been very conscious of the sound of their video products. I run a HD DLP projector on a 124" screen and the laserdisc pq seems to have better color and less graininess to it. Granted the laserdisc gets a boost from the AV Processor. I would think it has something to do with it but perhaps I am still fond of the format.

a 9, cause it's a DVD. I want a BluRay with DTS-HD master, or better yet, an SACD!

I doubt you're ever going to see a Blu-ray version of PULSE. There just really isn't a need. The video source material is such that it would be a blurry mess at 1080p. They cleaned up the video the best they could, however, the original recording was done in 4:3 anyway. When they attempted a 16:9 ratio, the resolution was significantly affected that made the image worse than the master. The currently available DVD release is perfectly acceptable for this material. Perhaps the only real value in releasing on Blu-ray would be higher resolution audio than the Dolby 5.1 that exists on the DVD, though at least an option for the higher bitrate 5.1 Dolby 640 encoding exists on the DVD that's better than the standard AC3 encoding of that time.

Last edited:
I doubt you're ever going to see a Blu-ray version of PULSE. There just really isn't a need. The video source material is such that it would be a blurry mess at 1080p. They cleaned up the video the best they could, however, the original recording was done in 4:3 anyway. When they attempted a 16:9 ratio, the resolution was significantly affected that made the image worse than the master. The currently available DVD release is perfectly acceptable for this material. Perhaps the only real value in releasing on Blu-ray would be higher resolution audio than the Dolby 5.1 that exists on the DVD, though at least an option for the higher bitrate 5.1 Dolby 640 encoding exists on the DVD that's better than the standard AC3 encoding of that time.

To me it's audio first and video second so this release on a BD with a 5.1 24/96 DTS MA soundtrack would be worth purchasing. It would be like those current Eagle Rock SD BD releases. I am thinking of The Bee Gees "One Night Only" whose video is pretty much the same as the DVD version but the audio on the BD version is a definite upgrade over the DVD.

I know this is a poll......but wow! I've always had this DVD...but it's been years (old stereo, old TV) since I watched/listened to it....and....I had put all my DVD's in the basement in tupperware containers.....I was gonna sell them off...

I found this in the pile, honestly forgot I had it. I tossed it back because I thought it said stereo on the back.......but in the description, up higher it says NEW 5.1 SURROUND!!!! Holy crap.....I was getting ready to sell this because of stereo...

I just plugged this disc into my Oppo and OMG!! Wonderful! I am so gonna rip this.....heck, even the upscaling looks pretty decent. Woo hoo!

I know this is a poll......but wow! I've always had this DVD...but it's been years (old stereo, old TV) since I watched/listened to it....and....I had put all my DVD's in the basement in tupperware containers.....I was gonna sell them off...

I found this in the pile, honestly forgot I had it. I tossed it back because I thought it said stereo on the back.......but in the description, up higher it says NEW 5.1 SURROUND!!!! Holy crap.....I was getting ready to sell this because of stereo...

I just plugged this disc into my Oppo and OMG!! Wonderful! I am so gonna rip this.....heck, even the upscaling looks pretty decent. Woo hoo!
Wow, I guess I'll have to revisit this as well... make sure you upload your metadata when you rip šŸ˜œ

Back