Pink Floyd releases 17 concerts from 1972 for download and streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
My apologies if this has already been shared. Legacy Records has just released 17 concerts from 1972. I see them for streaming on Spotify and for sale on HDTracks in 48/24. Hopefully this is the beginning of a new wave of archival releases from the band which will make available bootlegs obsolete.

Similar releases were made last year.

Live at Southampton Guildhall, UK, 23 January 1972
Live at Carnegie Hall, New York, 5 Feb 1972
Live at the Rainbow Theatre, London 18 Feb 1972
Live at the Rainbow Theatre, London 19 Feb 1972
Live at the Rainbow Theatre, London 20 Feb 1972
Live at the Taiikukan, Tokyo, Japan, 3 Mar 1972
Live at Osaka Festival Hall, Japan, 8 Mar 1972
Live at Nakajima Sports Centre, Sapporo, Japan, 13 Mar 1972
Live at Chicago Auditorium Theatre, USA, 28 April 1972
Live at the Deutschlandhalle, Berlin, Germany, 18 May 1972
Live at The Hallenstadion, Zurich, Switzerland 09:12:72
Live at the Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles, 22 Sept 1972
Live at the Empire Pool, Wembley, London, 21 Oct 1972
Live at Ernst-Merck Halle, Hamburg, Germany, 12 Nov 1972
Live at the Palais des Sports, Poitiers, France 29 Nov 1972
Live at the Palais des Sports de L'Ile de la Jatte, Saint Ouen, France, 01 Dec 1972
Live at the Vorst Nationaal, Brussels, Belgium, 5 Dec 1972

plus a collection of rare tracks

Alternative Tracks 1972

1. Speak To Me / Breathe (In The Air) (Trance Remix Version) 07:52
2. On the Run (Demo Version) 03:13
3. Time / Breathe (In The Air) (reprise) (Ultra Rare Alternative Version) 06:03
4. Us and Them (Ultra Rare Alternative Version) 5:26
5. Any Colour You Like (Trance Remix Version) 7:32

2022 Pink Floyd Live Downloads.JPG

12 Rare Live Pink Floyd Albums Appear on Streaming Services

Last edited:
Are these direct off the board tapes, and not audience recordings?

Unfortunately, no. These are just old bootlegs. Most likely explanation is that the band is just releasing them officially to protect their copyrights. I quickly scanned through some of them. One of them isn't even labelled correctly. The Southampton 1/23/72 is clearly not an early 1972 performance. The recording has backup singers. Also it includes performances of "On the Run" and "Great Gig" (not "Travel Sequence" or "Mortality Sequence"). None of this would have been happening in January '72.

Last edited:
Live at the Rainbow Theatre, London 20 Feb 1972
This one is particularly interesting because the DSotM portion of the show has been bootlegged eleventy billion times over the decades beginning (I think) with Kornyfone's "In Celebration of the Comet: The Coming of Kahoutek".

As anyone who's collected one or more pressings knows, it's a fantastic-sounding recording. It was real eye-opener to teenage me who obsessively played the official 1973 album. I had no idea that they'd polished it on the road that that the original arrangements were so wildly different.

But the original bootlegs were also incredibly frustrating because while the sound quality was incredible, there was a frustrating cut in "Time", "Us and Them" was almost completely missing and "Eclipse" faded out too soon. "Speak to Me" was also missing, though the way it opened was still pretty satisfying.

At some point in the last ?? years, an alternate source for the same show surfaced and someone with a lot of patience and talent managed to marry that with the old tape to create not just a complete DSotM set but in fact a complete show. The sound quality of the alternate source is nowhere near the quality of the better-known source, but it's finally possible to not be horribly jarred by the cuts.

I mention all this here because it turns out that PF/Sony have in fact released that fan restoration. Someone in the Floyd camp has either been trading discs or hanging out on the download sites.

Speaking of which, I first learned of these releases from one of those download sites when they suddenly banned all of those shows due to their now official status.
Alternative Tracks 1972

1. Speak To Me / Breathe (In The Air) (Trance Remix Version) 07:52
2. On the Run (Demo Version) 03:13
3. Time / Breathe (In The Air) (reprise) (Ultra Rare Alternative Version) 06:03
4. Us and Them (Ultra Rare Alternative Version) 5:26
5. Any Colour You Like (Trance Remix Version) 7:32
This one's a real head-scratcher. the "Demo Version" is just taken straight off the Pompeii soundtrack, complete with "This is actually a mono recording but we're going to pan it all over the place" and dialog. "Time" and "Us and Them" seem to be an early mixes before the final decisions about what to keep/add/delete were made.

As for the Trance Remixes, there's an overview at Pink Floyd Trance Remixes.

Back