Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're addressing the wrong person, plus which it is a song title and the lyrics would make no sense that way

Ha! I know, but David & Polly don't post here. Looking forward to hearing it in context (and surround). Cheers!

Sounds strange for a David's album title, but as a chorus in the song snippet circulating around sounds really good. The three snippets do sound very different from OAI and really really promising.
Andy, I wish I could be there like you participating in the magic of the recording and mixing process!
Back to reality, couple of questions for Andy: Are you playing any instrument in David's album? Secondly, any news about you mixing the live shows?

Thanks!

No I'm not playing anything on the album (Endless River was an unusual one)

Colin Norfield is mixing the live shows

No, I mean he's not getting into anything about them yet (apart from assembling the band). All thoughts are on finishing the album

Hi Andy, Polly just tweeted that the album was sent to be mastered. Will James G. do the work again?

How did the 5.1 mix go? Can we expect a brilliant mix like TDB or something more conservative like TER (but equally brilliant, don't get me wrong).

Thanks!

Don't know what she tweeted, but we finished the stereo today. Surround starts tomorrow. I make it up as I go along!

Btw I reviewed your disc about 2 weeks back.Gotta say it's stellar music and mix.Keep up the good work, Andy.

Looking forward to future projects.

thx-derek

One thing that occurs to me, that maybe nobody is quite appreciating, is that Div Bell was a "start again' mix, in which I severely disregarded the existing stereo mix, except for essential balance relationships, as I don't like the stereo mix. If that new mix had been stereo, it still would've been 'radically different'.

All the other albums (on a island, endless river and the new DG) are working from the stereo mix (as they were done at the same time), as is the brief, so they essentially sound like the stereos, except in surround. Maybe what everyone really likes about Div Bell is the less screwed up mix

Not that I said that of course

One thing that occurs to me, that maybe nobody is quite appreciating, is that Div Bell was a "start again' mix, in which I severely disregarded the existing stereo mix, except for essential balance relationships, as I don't like the stereo mix. If that new mix had been stereo, it still would've been 'radically different'.

All the other albums (on a island, endless river and the new DG) are working from the stereo mix (as they were done at the same time), as is the brief, so they essentially sound like the stereos, except in surround. Maybe what everyone really likes about Div Bell is the less screwed up mix

Hi Andy,

I actually listened to the Division Bell Blu-Ray twice last night because of how much I appreciate your mix. I bought that big box solely for it and I don't regret it at all. Congratulations for a stellar job on this one and I'm looking forward to hearing your work on the new Gilmour album. I firmly believe that lock will be rattled to bits... :)

Back