Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His Meddle is pretty amazing too...

Probably my favorite Andy Jackson surround mix! The surround mix on the different bass parts in the middle of One of These Days is some of the most intricate awesome surround stuff ever :SB and I really dig how he uses the center channel on this! Just about to head off into Echoes, after that crazy dog. :dance

We didn't know how lucky we were to have here Andy until we lost him. The insights he shared with us on the mixing of Floyd and David's albums were priceless.
My interpretation of him leaving of the forum is that he either started having some trouble with PF management or got pissed off by us after all the discussion about Meddle and OBC being removed from the EY box.
I really wish he returns one day, I'd love to ask him some questions about the Atmos mixes he created for the PF exhibition.

We didn't know how lucky we were to have here Andy until we lost him. The insights he shared with us on the mixing of Floyd and David's albums were priceless.
My interpretation of him leaving of the forum is that he either started having some trouble with PF management or got pissed off by us after all the discussion about Meddle and OBC being removed from the EY box.
I really wish he returns one day, I'd love to ask him some questions about the Atmos mixes he created for the PF exhibition.

He was definitely caught between a rock and a hard place concerning the Early Years box set.
Here he had put in some time and effort in creating 5.1 mixes for both "Meddle" and "Obscured by Clouds" only to have them pulled from the set and instead of it just being a quiet affair behind the scenes we all knew about it because of the early (and incorrect) press release that leaked.
Then he (and others involved in the making of the set) must have been embarrassed even more when the "Meddle" 5.1 mix appeared on the Blu-Ray after they thought it was taken off, so it was clearly a messy affair.
I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to be on the forum after all that, but I honestly don't think we pushed him off of here with our comments. The situation was what it was.

He was definitely caught between a rock and a hard place concerning the Early Years box set.
Here he had put in some time and effort in creating 5.1 mixes for both "Meddle" and "Obscured by Clouds" only to have them pulled from the set and instead of it just being a quiet affair behind the scenes we all knew about it because of the early (and incorrect) press release that leaked.
Then he (and others involved in the making of the set) must have been embarrassed even more when the "Meddle" 5.1 mix appeared on the Blu-Ray after they thought it was taken off, so it was clearly a messy affair.
I don't blame him one bit for not wanting to be on the forum after all that, but I honestly don't think we pushed him off of here with our comments. The situation was what it was.
Yes, I fully agree with you, the situation just became awkward.
At that time Andy seemed to be on a creative peak, lots of mixing and two solo albums and then, suddenly, nothing... at least that we've been able to know.

The mix is great on this one as I'm sure you all agree. TDB isn't my favourite Pink Floyd album so it's taken me 4 years to actually pull out the vinyl and play if for the first time... and holy chit, it sounds superb! I don't know whether my ears are cleaner than usual or my speakers are sounding better than usual but the music was more enjoyable than ever before. Next up: TDV on blu ray :)

I wonder if Analogue Productions would ever consider doing a multichannel SACD of the Division Bell? Especially for those who don't have the LOSSLESS BD~A or the Lossy DVD~V.
I wish I had known in 2014 that this mix was available on its own. I've never heard it and would love to hear Mr. Jackson's work. I actually love the album and have since I first explored Pink Floyd's music. If the 5.1 mix is that huge of an improvement, I will snatch it up the moment it's available to me.

I wish I had known in 2014 that this mix was available on its own. I've never heard it and would love to hear Mr. Jackson's work. I actually love the album and have since I first explored Pink Floyd's music. If the 5.1 mix is that huge of an improvement, I will snatch it up the moment it's available to me.

I have to confess that I didn’t pay that much attention to this album when it came out, having essentially written them off after Momentary Lapse of Reason. This mix is SO good. It made me a huge fan of the album.

I'm a weirdo I guess. I liked Momentary Lapse of Reason as well. I do like Division Bell better though.
Doesn’t make you a weirdo. Just different taste is all. Nothing wrong with that.

And FWIW, I didn’t say I disliked MLOR, I just didn’t see the band as one I any longer needed to pay attention to. One that was no longer moving forward, but instead painting by the numbers to recreate their “classic” sound and sell albums.

TDB paints by the numbers too, but the 5.1 makes it enjoyable and worthy of my attention.

Also, while I think TDB is a better album overall, I think “Learning To Fly” is a better track than anything on TDB

And I’ll be more than happy to re-evaluate MLOR should a surround mix be released. :)

Last edited:
Probably my favorite Andy Jackson surround mix! The surround mix on the different bass parts in the middle of One of These Days is some of the most intricate awesome surround stuff ever :SB and I really dig how he uses the center channel on this! Just about to head off into Echoes, after that crazy dog. :dance
Don't be disrespectful to the hound. Her name is
"Mademoiselle Nobs"

Great job on The Division Bell , Andy.

Brings out so much of the hidden sounds not heard on the stereo album.

Keep up the super surround mixing work ,.... Andy.
Love your Floyd mixes fwiw. .........And your solos are most worthy both for music collectors and surroundophiles.
Your Floyd track record speaks for itself.
Me ......
I'm an early FLOYD fan ......or fanatic . Absolutely Kicking myself for not getting to hear them in Winnipeg 1969, the Early years of Floyd .

Might I recommend a future surround project of Floyd's ?

As I and my buddies discovered them in 1969 ....Electric Moo ........would be a most exciting surround challenge but personally I think your more than "up to it "-mixing that classic for surround. A task only you can set loose.

Thanks

Fizzy :)

Don't be disrespectful to the hound. Her name is
"Mademoiselle Nobs"
Actually, it's "Seamus". "Mademoiselle Nobs" was on Pompeii :)

FWIW, the Division Bell mix was later also included in The Later Years alongside a lot of other stuff, which includes his new 5.1 mixes of Delicate Sound of Thunder, the reimagined A Momentary Lapse of Reason and the film version of The Endless River.

Actually, it's "Seamus". "Mademoiselle Nobs" was on Pompeii :)

FWIW, the Division Bell mix was later also included in The Later Years alongside a lot of other stuff, which includes his new 5.1 mixes of Delicate Sound of Thunder, the reimagined A Momentary Lapse of Reason and the film version of The Endless River.
😲
Wow Looks like @JulesRules
Jules rules the history books

😲
Wow Looks like @JulesRules
Jules rules the history books
I don't overestimate myself but when I get into a topic, the information I read/hear about it tends to stick with me. Pink Floyd are one of my Top 3 bands, so I do know a bit about them, but there are much bigger experts (especially on the subject of bootlegs and the like). Most of the stuff that Andy shared in this thread was totally new to me, and it would be great to have him back...

I can't bring myself to spend so much on a Later Years box set, just to have TDB and AMLOR in 5.1.

Side note, love the Tears For Fears avatar!

I can't bring myself to spend so much on a Later Years box set, just to have TDB and AMLOR in 5.1.

Side note, love the Tears For Fears avatar!
I’m a huge Floyd fanatic but felt same as I like the early stuff through the Wall mainly. But do enjoy momentary and division, I already had the DB box with the 5.1 but had to have Momentary and bought the single blu-ray off eBay for like $60 bucks.

I love all the work Andy has done his two solo albums. The work he done with Rattle that Lock and surround mix and Pompeii mix too.
All work with The Early Years the Meddle 5.1 and 2.0 2916 mix,and The Later years with the DB and Momentary Lapse 5.1 mix's.
I do miss him not being Facebook like he used to do.

so is the 5.1 of Division Bell unobtainable? did some searching and could only find one amazon listing of the anniversary deluxe edition for 500$
If you have Apple Music and either an Apple TV 4K or Mac capable of outputting 5.1 to your AVR, the 5.1 mix of Division Bell is streaming in Dolby Audio as well as all of the other post-Waters era mixes.

Back