HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [BluRay Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - THE DIVISION BELL

• Total voters
Are we ever going to review The Later Years box set? A Momentary Lapse of Reason, Delicate Sound of Thunder, The Division Bell, and Pulse all have new 5.1 remixes. Not sure about The Endless River.

Discussion thread here and poll thread here. Division Bell and Endless River are the same 5.1 mixes from prior releases.

I rate the Division Bell bluray as a 9. I like this album as much as any of the Pink Floyd surround albums. I was unable to get the DB surround mix dvd when it first came out and finally bit the bullet and paid 100 bucks at import cd for the box set just to get the surround mix. Within a few days of buying the box, the stinkin dvd again appeared on the PF website for about $15 ! Oh brother, I would NEVER buy a box set for a surround mix if a standalone is available (I dont care what format it is). Anyway, I figured I'd just sell the box minus the bluray just like I did for DSOTM and WYWH...but .....no takers. I think at some future date the DB box might be hard to find, then l'm hoping to get my hundred back. By the way, I just paid $65 plus for the Beatles Abbey road box (really a pretty good deal ) but the surround disc is the only one I wanted (badly wanted). I could care less about the book and 3 cds or whatever is in there (I buy cds for $1 or less all the time). Bottom line is I paid $65 for that Abbey road bluray and $100 for the Division bell bluray. I love them both. Next will be the IN Abstentia box set (love this album). Here we go again. I see this as another $60-$70 for one surround disc. I don't have enough time to listen to up takes, out takes or whatever else. And now to the opposite end of the spectrum..... I am thankful to get these surround mixes and will pay for them. I would love to have the Momentary lapse of reason surround disc but, I already bought the AHM and Endless river surrounds when they came out. So..... $300 for the box set with for this one surround disc.......CRAZY. If "The Wall" or "Animals" ever comes out in surround, I'm afraid I'll go CRAZY.

I rate the Division Bell bluray as a 9. I like this album as much as any of the Pink Floyd surround albums. I was unable to get the DB surround mix dvd when it first came out and finally bit the bullet and paid 100 bucks at import cd for the box set just to get the surround mix. Within a few days of buying the box, the stinkin dvd again appeared on the PF website for about $15 ! Oh brother, I would NEVER buy a box set for a surround mix if a standalone is available (I dont care what format it is). Anyway, I figured I'd just sell the box minus the bluray just like I did for DSOTM and WYWH...but .....no takers. I think at some future date the DB box might be hard to find, then l'm hoping to get my hundred back. By the way, I just paid $65 plus for the Beatles Abbey road box (really a pretty good deal ) but the surround disc is the only one I wanted (badly wanted). I could care less about the book and 3 cds or whatever is in there (I buy cds for $1 or less all the time). Bottom line is I paid $65 for that Abbey road bluray and $100 for the Division bell bluray. I love them both. Next will be the IN Abstentia box set (love this album). Here we go again. I see this as another $60-$70 for one surround disc. I don't have enough time to listen to up takes, out takes or whatever else. And now to the opposite end of the spectrum..... I am thankful to get these surround mixes and will pay for them. I would love to have the Momentary lapse of reason surround disc but, I already bought the AHM and Endless river surrounds when they came out. So..... $300 for the box set with for this one surround disc.......CRAZY. If "The Wall" or "Animals" ever comes out in surround, I'm afraid I'll go CRAZY.
Keep your eye on eBay. If you are interested You should be able to get the Momentary Blu-ray for around $80.
Appear to be legitimate release from the box sets. USA sellers.

Listening now. I’m giving this an 8. I think it sounds very good but there is just something that has always been missing for me.

I just upgraded my processor to an HTP-1 from a Marantz 8802a and love the sound of the HTP-1. I was hoping I’d hear what was “missing” but still not there.

This is a very minor grudge, hell I’m probably the problem. I’m also a huge Floyd fanatic but I’m more into the very early stuff through the Wall. I’ve never been able to have the same feeling towards thes last few albums although I certainly appreciate them.

Listening now. I’m giving this an 8. I think it sounds very good but there is just something that has always been missing for me.

I just upgraded my processor to an HTP-1 from a Marantz 8802a and love the sound of the HTP-1. I was hoping I’d hear what was “missing” but still not there.

This is a very minor grudge, hell I’m probably the problem. I’m also a huge Floyd fanatic but I’m more into the very early stuff through the Wall. I’ve never been able to have the same feeling towards thes last few albums although I certainly appreciate them.

... regarding what was missing....
Uhhh, that would be Roger Waters. :D

I just voted a 9 on it. I have always liked the music on TDB. I remember how it kind of just fell out of the sky. I don't remember hearing about it until it was out. I thought the mix was very good, although not SW good, hence the 9. I listen to this one a few times a year.

I'm not sure I even want to vote on it until I listen to it again, but my past impression was I much preferred the original stereo mix. There's a special kick you in the chest aspect to High Hopes (even on the original vinyl LP that was edited) that is so mind blowing impressive that even my 72-year old mother LOVES that track on my Carver AL-III speakers.

That system can play 4.0 with Klipsch surrounds and rear subwoofer added into the mix (phantom center and the Carvers are nearly full range down to 25Hz). But somehow the surround mix just sounds wimpy on High Hopes compared to the stereo version and wit the rear sub right behind my chair, it usually scares the crap out if me with rear channel base content suddenly going loud, but I get the feeling it's missing more in the mid-bass. Whatever it is, it's just not the same without it.

The Division Bell isn't my favorite Floyd album by a long shot, but High Hopes itself has always been one of my favorite songs and it being diminished in any significant way is a massive detriment, IMO.

Perhaps it's also the Carver speakers themselves moving huge amounts of air as part of the equation as that song doesn't work as well on my home theater PSB based system even in stereo (although still better in that regard there so the mix is definitely the other component), but the Carvers almost knock the breath out of you at high volume on that song (in a good way). My mother requests I play it almost every time she visits.

The AL-IIIs themselves are 6 feet tall speakers with 48" ribbons by Bob Carver with 10" downward firing woofers that are solid down to 25Hz in my room. I'm feeding them 350W x 2 (Dual Carver TFM-35x into 4 Ohms) with an active crossover system designed by a former Carver engineer, making it an active bi-amp system. It's run off Carver C-5 Sonic Holography capable preamp (separates system). These were the best sounding speakers I previewed user $4500/pair back in 1995 and still hold up very well today (had to tighten the ribbons and replace a bass driver, but otherwise

I've had this setup in this configuration mire or less (but in a different house) since 1998 (and the speakers in their original passive crossover firm since 1995). I've had the foam disintegrate and run them "naked" now with the ribbons and plates colored to black and nee Carver badges) and they keep on ticking.

REW shows a rather amazing non-room corrected bass of +/- 3dB with the total room response (bass sounds amazingly even n that room) within +/- 5dB (most within 3.5dB), which isn't bad for a system without correction and ribbons only rated +/- 3dB to begin with.

My PSB system WITH Audyssey correction is only slightly better at +/- 3.5dB overall and bass at +/- 2.5dB. But even with 17.1 speakers, it doesn't punch you in the chest like the Carvers do on that song. But switch to 5.1 playback on the Carvers and all the magic is gone, regardless of bass management on the surround processor. It's very disappointing indeed.

Other tracks fare much better in surround as I recall, but Keep Talking and High Hopes are the only tracks from it I listen to in regular rotation.

High Hopes (even on the original vinyl LP that was edited) that is so mind blowing impressive that even my 72-year old mother LOVES that track on my Carver AL-III speakers.

My mother requests I play it almost every time she visits.
Very cool mother !

Back