DVD/DTS Poll Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [DTS/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Pink Floyd - THE DIVISION BELL

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2014 release from Pink Floyd of their 1994 album release "The Division Bell". The 5.1 surround audio was mastered and mixed by Andy Jackson (y):phones(n)

This poll is for the DVD disc only. The BluRay version, included only in the Division Bell Box Set, has it's own poll entry at the following link: HiRez Poll - Pink Floyd - The Division Bell [BluRay Audio]

For Andy Jackson's thoughts and discussion of this mix, check out this thread in the forum:
Pink Floyd/The Division Bell - Ask Andy Jackson about the Mastering and the Mix

PF DB F (589 x 600).jpg
PF DB B (589 x 600).jpg
PF DB D (589 x 600).jpg

Thanks to 'LizardKing' for the scans!

Last edited:
It arrived today just as I was leaving for work - so I popped the DVD into my car system (MEX 2200) - will give it a more rigorous workout at home, time allowing. I will admit to losing interest in PF after The Wall. Although some of the material sounds familiar, Division Bell has been off my radar for some time. At first blush, I'm impressed both mixwise and musically.

This arrived while I was on vacation along with a few other great recent releases. So, I've been working my way through them all and tonight was the night for The Division Bell. First of all, I had never heard The Division Bell. In fact, I had never even heard of The Division Bell. I got some background on the release in a Wikipedia posting. My sweet spot for Pink Floyd was the Dark Side of the Moon Era. I was in college when that came out. So, my main exposure to Pink Floyd are the original quad releases like DSOTM, WYWH and Atom Heart Mother. I've listened to some of the earlier Floyd releases, but by 1994 Pink Floyd was not on my radar. So, I was completely unaware that this album was even released. With that said, and taking into account that this album that is new to me is actually a decade old, I think it is a really decent album coming so far after a classic like Dark Side of the Moon. There are some artists who just can't seem to be able to reproduce the magic of their earlier work in later years. The Division Bell is not on a level with DSOTM or WYWH, but you definitely know you are listening to a Floyd album. I certainly don't agree with Roger Waters assessment when it came out when he stated, "Rubbish.... just nonsense from beginning to end." For me, it is one of those recordings I was able to enjoy from start to finish the first time through. The surround mixing is very well executed. It's a very enveloping mix. Lot's of very discrete placement of instruments. I did not stand with an ear to my center speaker to hear if anything was mixed to center at all, but it sounds like little is and I certainly don't miss it. Living in a small condo with neighbors who are a pain in the ass, I also didn't miss there not being a lot that was booming from the subwoofer and shaking my walls and floor.
Overall, I think this is a great release and a really impressive surround mix by Andy Jackson. I am rating it a 9.

It didn't take very long to realize how good this mix is on the DVD. I'm so satisfied I'm not even going to chase the blu ray version. To get this quality, at this price in today's marketplace from one of the greatest bands of all time is incredible. No brainer, no nitpicking and a clear 10 on several levels for me. To be candid this isn't even one of my favorite PF albums and I loved it.

I enjoyed the mix and the sound field but did not love this album only liked a few songs am I glad I purchased it yes will I listen to this like I do the rest not sure of this may have to listen to this a couple of more times.

My "Division Bell" DVD arrived last friday. In my opinion this album is not on the level of "Dark Side" or "Wish You Were Here" concerning the musical quality, not even close. But there are songs i liked very much and the DVD was not too expensive. So i thought i give it a try.

And who is Andy Jackson, never heard any 5.1-Mix from this man ?? Why did Pink Floyd not choose the famous James G., Elliot S. or Mr. Wilson ??

One hour later, after being in perfect surround heaven, i asked myself: Why didn`t Pink Floyd let Andy Jackson do the mixes for "Dark Side" and "Wish You Were Here". Even my wife, who ignores every fantastic 5.1 Mix i show her, was fascinated when she heard "Keep talking" !!

7 for content, 13 for mix - makes 10 for this poll

it was instantaneous...the sound coming from this DVD has transformed what was once a bit boring to me..into unquestionably a top favorite. there was no moment of trying to find flaws...it all just seems to flow..so naturally 'right.' DSOTM and WYWH have always been untouchable in my book...but there's a new kid on the block...and imo easily easily equal..in both audio quality and content. color me amazed and beyond impressed... :smokin
10 all the way...

Is there nowhere to order this dvd from? I have emailed the PinkFloyd site asking when they will have it in stock again. They do not allow you to preorder this, only to add it to a wishlist. I am getting disturbed and jealous. Guess I missed out by not jumping on this. I was never big on TDB. I pulled out my almost 20 year old cd and listened a few times and some of the songs grew on me. Good enuf to enjoy in surround. My God does this mean I must listen to a momentary lapse of reason and reassess???

9 out of principle there are better value and content discs (XTC King Crimson and Yes discs are 10/10 for all content and SQ) out there

10/10 for making it available outside of the box.
0/10 for making is just a DVD and not blu ray.

Great mix though hope Andy gets to do more

Very happy Warner/PF made this DVD available at a normal price. I've had the CD for twenty years and haven't played it for some time, this DVD complements it ideally (no extra vinyl, booklets, gadgets).
Too often in this thread comparisons with DSotM and WYWH are made. IMO you should compare this to the David Gilmour solo albums. Then it comes out on top. Pink Floyd 1987 was still a band with 3 former members, but the newer material had taken a slightly different direction.

I'll will play it again before I vote, I'm on a 9 at the moment.

Pink Floyd is one of my top three band/artists of all time. However, "The Division Bell" rates pretty low on the PF scale for me. Even though I think Roger Waters had a case of sour grapes when the band split. His artistic contributions gave them that edge / bit of rebellion / political commentary that I had deemed essential to the spirit of the band. When "Momentary Lapse Of Reason" emerged, I was all for it and even though it was a bit tame for a PF album, I loved it. I think Gilmour, Wright, and Mason did a great job of trying to retain the feeling of a traditional PF album. Including David's screaming guitar solos and psychedelic noodling. So when TDB came out, you could say I had "High Hopes" for it...:p I think TDB is good, but to put it bluntly, a bit boring to sit through from beginning to end. Now this is all subjective, and everyone has their own opinions, but to put it in perspective, I personally prefer "The Final Cut" and the Gilmour solo albums to this one. I must say that the tour that followed the release of TDB was excellent, second to none and a must see for any PF fan. Now, once again I have high hopes for "The Endless River". It would be great if it was released in 5.1 from the start.

OK, all that being said, I love what Andy Jackson's mix did for this album, a stellar job! His surround mix brings new life to it. I believe his mixing style is the perfect balance between the discreteness of an Alan Parsons mix and the fullness of a James Guthrie mix. So if I were King, I would have Andy mix the remaining Floyd albums in 5.1. (I'm sure I'll be grateful for whatever we get!) The inclusion of the video, "Marooned" in 5.1 is a nice bonus feature.

I too am glad that there was a lower cost option to experience the 5.1 mix. I would have preferred a stand alone Blu-ray, but the DTS option is good and feel no need to get the box set. The packaging is another matter altogether. How pathetic! If you compare this package to say the value of the 5.1 set of Jethro Tull - A Passion Play....well, there is no comparison. I will just print a jewel case liner and put it in a CD case for storage.

To sum up, the 5.1 DVD DTS/DD disc sounds great, the mix is stellar, the content is fair to good, and the packaging sucks. I will give it an 8.

Dennis

The mix is a clear 10. Indeed this is one of the best examples I can think of where a great surround mix has brought new life to an album that I generally consider to be middling at best. Throw all that in the mix and include a reasonable cost for what was essentially a fan-requested DVD version, I give this a 9.

Is there nowhere to order this dvd from? I have emailed the PinkFloyd site asking when they will have it in stock again. They do not allow you to preorder this, only to add it to a wishlist. I am getting disturbed and jealous. Guess I missed out by not jumping on this. I was never big on TDB. I pulled out my almost 20 year old cd and listened a few times and some of the songs grew on me. Good enuf to enjoy in surround. My God does this mean I must listen to a momentary lapse of reason and reassess???
I am with you. Just a wish list at this point? Once again the market does not care what people want and tries to force us to buy what we don't.

Is there nowhere to order this dvd from?

I am with you. Just a wish list at this point? Once again the market does not care what people want and tries to force us to buy what we don't.

http://shop.pinkfloyd.com/the-division-bell-5-1-mix-dvd.html

This really sucks if they don't make more for sale. In some ways, it's gratifying that it sold out, but comon, they really need to get this stuff out there and how can they do that if there are none to sell. All it does is make the aftermarket/eBay fiends money hungry. It also leads to rampant file sharing. Sometimes these labels just don't seem to stop shooting themselves in the foot. People WANT to buy product, yet there is no product.

Q: "What do you want from me?" - A: Sufficient Stock! :)

Before this turns into a "conspiracy"/bitch and moan thread; it should be noted that the DVD isn't out of print it's merely out of stock. There has been a "manufacturing delay"; that's it. Of course they would like to have more in stock and sell the items, but these things happen sometimes. Don't kill the messenger(Pink Floyd Store)if you don't like the message.

Back