HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - THE LATER YEARS 1987-2019 [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - THE LATER YEARS 1987-2019

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this massive new box set from Pink Floyd entitled, "The Later Years 1987-2019".

91aYHBAp%2BYL._SL1500_.jpg

81C9oFZncIL._SL1500_.jpg

There is a LOT of surround sound content in this box set, so here's the breakdown by Blu-ray Disc:

Blu-ray Disc 1: Surround & High-Res Audio Mixes
-A Momentary Lapse of Reason Updated & Remixed 2019 (First release of 2019 mixes in 5.1; Surround: dts Master Audio 5.1 96/24, PCM 5.1 96/24, PCM Stereo 96/24)
-The Division Bell 2014 Remix (Surround: 5.1 dts Master Audio 96/24, PCM 5.1 96/24)
-7 Unreleased 1994 Studio Recordings (Surround: 5.1 dts Master Audio 96/24, 5.1 PCM 96/24, PCM Stereo 96/24)

X3LPPF19-03.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 2: "Delicate Sound of Thunder" (Restored & Remixed; Surround: dts Master audio 5.1 96/24)

X3LPPF19-04.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 3: "P.U.L.S.E." (Restored & Re-Edited; Surround: dts Master audio 5.1 96/24)

X3LPPF19-05.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 4: Venice 1989 & Knebworth 1990 (Venice is Stereo only: PCM 48/24; Knebworth is mixed in Surround: DTS Master audio 5.1 48/24)

X3LPPF19-06.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 5: Unreleased Live Films, Music Videos, and Concert Screen Films (all content is stereo only)

X3LPPF19-07.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 6: Documentaries & Unreleased Material (all content is Stereo PCM 48/24 except for "The Endless River" film which is mixed in 5.1 dts Master Audio 96/24)

X3LPPF19-08.jpg

Please note that "The Division Bell" 5.1 surround mix was originally released on Blu-Ray in 2014, and a separate poll can be found for that release here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...k-floyd-the-division-bell-bluray-audio.19329/

Also, "The Endless River" was originally released in 5.1 surround in 2014, and a separate poll can be found for that release here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...k-floyd-the-endless-river-bluray-audio.19777/

Please post your thoughts and comments on this massive new box set from Pink Floyd entitled, "The Later Years 1987-2019".

91aYHBAp%2BYL._SL1500_.jpg

81C9oFZncIL._SL1500_.jpg

There is a LOT of surround sound content in this box set, so here's the breakdown by Blu-ray Disc:

Blu-ray Disc 1: Surround & High-Res Audio Mixes
-A Momentary Lapse of Reason Updated & Remixed 2019 (First release of 2019 mixes in 5.1; Surround: dts Master Audio 5.1 96/24, PCM 5.1 96/24, PCM Stereo 96/24)
-The Division Bell 2014 Remix (Surround: 5.1 dts Master Audio 96/24, PCM 5.1 96/24)
-7 Unreleased 1994 Studio Recordings (Surround: 5.1 dts Master Audio 96/24, 5.1 PCM 96/24, PCM Stereo 96/24)

X3LPPF19-03.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 2: "Delicate Sound of Thunder" (Restored & Remixed; Surround: dts Master audio 5.1 96/24)

X3LPPF19-04.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 3: "P.U.L.S.E." (Restored & Re-Edited; Surround: dts Master audio 5.1 96/24)

X3LPPF19-05.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 4: Venice 1989 & Knebworth 1990 (Venice is Stereo only: PCM 48/24; Knebworth is mixed in Surround: DTS Master audio 5.1 48/24)

X3LPPF19-06.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 5: Unreleased Live Films, Music Videos, and Concert Screen Films (all content is stereo only)

X3LPPF19-07.jpg

Blu-ray Disc 6: Documentaries & Unreleased Material (all content is Stereo PCM 48/24 except for "The Endless River" film which is mixed in 5.1 dts Master Audio 96/24)

X3LPPF19-08.jpg

Please note that "The Division Bell" 5.1 surround mix was originally released on Blu-Ray in 2014, and a separate poll can be found for that release here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...k-floyd-the-division-bell-bluray-audio.19329/

Also, "The Endless River" was originally released in 5.1 surround in 2014, and a separate poll can be found for that release here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...k-floyd-the-endless-river-bluray-audio.19777/
All you QQ can tell me how great it is. I'm low on Ducets. SVS had a subwoofer sale & then I went a little crazy with electronics on cyber Monday.

I voted 6. I was disappointed for the large amount of money I spent on this box set. I was disappointed as the main reason I purchased was for a 5.1 of Momentary Lapse Of Reason. Didn't super wow me like I was hoping for. I was very pleased with the 5.1 of Delicate Sound Of Thunder and the movie of The Endless River and the documentary of the Pink Floyd North American tour.
I didn't purchase for book, photos and tour notes, but they where nice to look at one time.
The redundancy of Pink Floyd songs over and over kind of got to me, I didn't like.
I didn't like that I felt I was paying for DVD's and Blu Ray's of the same content.
The box set packaging is too big and too heavy.
I am a high # voter in all my votes, very rarely do I vote low, below 8, but I can't help the disappointment I feel in spending so much for what I got. It certainly maybe affecting my vote. Had Momentary Lapse Of Reason knocked my socks off I would have maybe voted an 8.

I don't want to clutter up the poll thread with chatter, but I feel like I should at least comment. I haven't voted because I simply have not had time to absorb all the content. I would be doing a disservice to the QQ community by simply knee-jerk voting when we all know full well it would take some time to absorb all this stuff.

I will say this. I purchased this for Momentary Lapse of Reason 5.1. I will say I'm slightly disappointed as I can't get over the feeling that the vocals are, at times, MIA. It's NOT every song, but for sure, I notice it on One Slip most pronounced.

So, for me to vote will require me to listen intently to each song (knowing I seem to have occasional issue with vocal delivery) and average my vote that way.

I don't want to clutter up the poll thread with chatter, but I feel like I should at least comment. I haven't voted because I simply have not had time to absorb all the content. I would be doing a disservice to the QQ community by simply knee-jerk voting when we all know full well it would take some time to absorb all this stuff.

I will say this. I purchased this for Momentary Lapse of Reason 5.1. I will say I'm slightly disappointed as I can't get over the feeling that the vocals are, at times, MIA. It's NOT every song, but for sure, I notice it on One Slip most pronounced.

So, for me to vote will require me to listen intently to each song (knowing I seem to have occasional issue with vocal delivery) and average my vote that way.
Would have turned out better with a nice dry vocal out of the center channel. Could have helped cut through the sludge ???

I voted a '6'. Well, and it's mostly because I am hugely disappointed with the 5.1 of "Momentary Lapse of Reason", which is the main reason I sprang for the $300 to begin with. Aside from the vocals being absent from the center channel, which makes them sound like they're coming from another room at times, the mix is just not that clear and concise. I know Andy knows what he's doing, so I have to assume that the "higher minds" wanted more of an enhanced stereo slog than a clean mix. Sure, there are spots where it's clearly a surround mix, but once the tunes get going, the parts with the most information and vocals, well, those do not come across as obviously surround - to me.

The audio on "The Division Bell", to me, sounds way better than MLOR, and I have tried both the DTS and PCM 5.1 of MLOR, listened on different systems at home and in the car, and even boosted the vocals with RX-7 Advanced (in the front channels only) but still did not feel that this was an impressive mix.

So, with the price, the giant box, the mix of MLOR, I have to give it a '6'. It's not bad, it's not horrible, I actually like the material (even after playing it many times over the past few weeks), I think the major word that I can use to describe this MLOR mix is..............disappointing.

As I've said before, you will probably have a different opinion. That's cool. That's why we're here.

I finally had a chance to listen and a decent volume and was really happy with what I heard once I weighed it all in. I think Andy was going for a sound field experience and it worked really well for me. Very similar to Roger Waters Amused to Death. Instead of a discrete guitar over here and sax over there that creates speaker pull without any image between speakers (like a phantom channel) he presents a 360 degree sound field similar to Ambisonic's and what I hear decoding Alan Parsons Stereotomy.
The Vocal problem I did not experience as I thought it was loud enough through out but I did notice some high end roll off on the vocal channel that I would like to boost a bit.
I also noticed some old digital artifacts that made me wonder how much was created in the 16 bit domain.
In some cases like "Learning to Fly" I wonder if Penteo was used in some way although I might have heard some artifacts, I liked the 360 field created when other instruments were added. Other than that it was horse shoe wide stereo.
DSOT is just great, I could not ever again watch the original version with the camera change every two seconds. Just when I wanted to look at something longer the camera would change again. That has been corrected with nice long time shots.
Bumbed the videos did not have 5.1 sound as folks will have to buy TDB box set to get Marooned video in 5.1 that is impactful.
I started listening with the vinyl and loved it, great sound.
Overall I am going for an 8 on this as some of the material has already been released but a very nice box with lots of extra's
My only bummer is that not enough fore site existed to use film instead of low quality video that was the go to at the time as the image quality was not much better than the tapes i had of Venice and Pulse.
AMLOR sounds great on my system while running it in the direct Bluray mode on the Marantz

Last edited:
Someone somewhere in the forum asked me about raising the vocals in Momentary Lapse of Reason. I tried various settings, but I seem to prefer boosting the vocals in the fronts only by +4 in RX7 Advanced. It still sounds a bit clogged to me, but I can enjoy it more this way. Here's a screen shot of the process.

NOTE: I toyed with the idea of extracting the lead vocal and layering it into the center channel, but that sounded a bit too radical for me. The way I ended up doing it keeps the sound field the way Andy wanted it.

Learning to Fly Vocal Boost 2.jpg

I listened to this album twice today in the car, with the +4 on the front vocals, and it sounded so much better to me. With the vocals up a bit, instead of my old brain trying to latch onto the vocals, I could finally appreciate the rest of the mix.

I might move this up from a '6', however, the end user should not have to re-engineer a released product when you get right down to it.

Back