HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - THE LATER YEARS 1987-2019 [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - THE LATER YEARS 1987-2019

• Total voters
I gotta say after being excited and then after listening, the later years have not aged as well as the early years. The 2 studio albums feel dated at times where the early years still seem timeless. Really looking forward to the Animals 5.1 mix...
I hated it at the time. I still thought it sounded better than anything else on the radio at the time FWIW. I've gone back a few times years later to try to listen again, thinking I was just being hipster stupid with it before or something. There's just no content there. They didn't have much to say apparently. Any random 30 second clip from any album during the 'early years' has more content than the entire 'later years' period.

I hated it at the time. I still thought it sounded better than anything else on the radio at the time FWIW. I've gone back a few times years later to try to listen again, thinking I was just being hipster stupid with it before or something. There's just no content there. They didn't have much to say apparently. Any random 30 second clip from any album during the 'early years' has more content than the entire 'later years' period.

Whether you like Roger or you don't, he has more to say in his pinky finger than any of the three remaining members of the later years. The "steel breeze" is lovely, but only goes so far. Pink Floyd with no bite isn't really Pink Floyd.

Whether you like Roger or you don't, he has more to say in his pinky finger than any of the three remaining members of the later years. The "steel breeze" is lovely, but only goes so far. Pink Floyd with no bite isn't really Pink Floyd.
Agreed! But then the script flips the other way kind of. Roger has a lot to say but the music element just isn't there. I think he does about the best job anyone ever has of phoning the music in these last years but it's still more of a placeholder now.
The sum or their parts...
They had the words and a dangerous improvising band and multimedia and all in full force.

There's just no content there. They didn't have much to say apparently. Any random 30 second clip from any album during the 'early years' has more content than the entire 'later years' period.

There is certainly nothing experimental or ground-breaking about those albums, although I really enjoyed the last two. As much as I reach for the "skip" button when "See Saw" plays on A Saucerful of Secrets, at least the title track had some real wow moments. I don't skip "the Dogs of War" and land on a mind-blowing track that pushed the boundaries of my mind. Instead I land on "One Slip".

Thematically, emotionally, reacting to the world in a personal and powerful way, yes, absolutely. Musically, I beg to differ. Pros and Cons was just the same song for the half the album, and not a very good one. Radio Kaos had a few high points, but I am almost never finding myself wanting to listen to the songs. Amused to Death was great, but again the same song over and over again (what god wants) and a few songs that aren't really songs at all. I really liked Pros and Cons and Amused, but I don't think musically he had more to say than the remaining three Floyds

I will tell you that I'm taking the recent revelation that Jon Carin played most of the keyboards on the Division Bell to heart, and it does tarnish my feelings about the last few albums, although it makes some sense. Carin is reportedly an excellent session player, while Richard was not, per Nick's comments about Rick having a hard time coming up with pieces on time and "to order". Also, I suspect Carin was much more up-to-date with the technology. Rick probably was in 1977 or 78, but by 1993 it seems he wasn't. Unfortunately this does lend itself to the criticism that Rick was there more for show than his talents.

Even if Rog had stayed in the band, I think we would have seen a decline. You can only capture lightning in a bottle for so long, and after so many amazing albums, they were bound to run out of ideas eventually. Everyone does.

Anything Roger has to say on his world view/Politics he can keep to himself IMO. If I really told him what he can do with his preaching I'd be in trouble with the moderators. I wouldn't attend one of his concerts if he paid me to go. :mad:
As to the band Pink Floyd and their musicianship, any ole bass player can replace Roger, but can you imagine PF without one of our generations greatest lead guitarists? And even David has said there is no PF without Richard Wright's keyboard, He's gone so far as to use Richards outtakes to do improve the MLOR remix and put together their final album Endless River. RIP Mr Wright, thank you for a lifetime of unforgettable music!

On to this package, the 5.1 remix of MLR is a work of genius IMO, I'm loving it! Like everything else it's easy to armchair quarterback but all in all I have no serious complains.
I've had the 5.1 Division Bell for a long time now and can only say it gets played here a few times a month minimum. I've seen PF in concert 3 times now in Chicago but the 1994 tour at Soldiers Field was the musical event of a lifetime. Sorry for anyone that wasn't there, God visited the stage when Gilmour did Comfortably Numb that night.
The remixed PULSE is another highlight, much improved 5.1 sound over the old DVD I had.
I could go on but there's nothing about this box I could seriously complain over.
Maybe one thing, the price of the complete box is a killer for the working stiff.! There's lot of material I could do without and some a can't live without, they know that and bury us all. I wish they'd let us pick and chose the pieces we want in HD downloads and pay accordingly. Just my 2 cents. ;)
OH, and I'd like Animals and Meddle remixed in 5.1 like the rest. TIA. :)

Really enjoyed the new mix of AMLOR. There are only really a couple of highlights for me which are YAM and Sorrow, the former i thought came across really well in surround with the movie dialogue snippets in particular. Defintely a highlight in the Floyd catalogue. I have only watched a few bits of DSOT but i was impressed how much effort has obviously gone into it.
I now await the NMSOS BD, LP,signed poster and fridge magnet edition!:51QQ
Btw. i had an online argument the other day regarding Roger and Floyd.
I stated that i personally think Roger has become anti-semitic paranoiac political far-left communist and was met with 'Without Roger there was no Floyd, period'.
Well, i had to disagree. What about Bob Klose and the T Set etc.?:coffee:
Maybe he would have been an ''enormously successful architect by now''? To quote Andrew King.

Last edited:
Anything Roger has to say on his world view/Politics he can keep to himself IMO. If I really told him what he can do with his preaching I'd be in trouble with the moderators. I wouldn't attend one of his concerts if he paid me to go. :mad:
As to the band Pink Floyd and their musicianship, any ole bass player can replace Roger, but can you imagine PF without one of our generations greatest lead guitarists? And even David has said there is no PF without Richard Wright's keyboard, He's gone so far as to use Richards outtakes to do improve the MLOR remix and put together their final album Endless River. RIP Mr Wright, thank you for a lifetime of unforgettable music!

On to this package, the 5.1 remix of MLR is a work of genius IMO, I'm loving it! Like everything else it's easy to armchair quarterback but all in all I have no serious complains.
I've had the 5.1 Division Bell for a long time now and can only say it gets played here a few times a month minimum. I've seen PF in concert 3 times now in Chicago but the 1994 tour at Soldiers Field was the musical event of a lifetime. Sorry for anyone that wasn't there, God visited the stage when Gilmour did Comfortably Numb that night.
The remixed PULSE is another highlight, much improved 5.1 sound over the old DVD I had.
I could go on but there's nothing about this box I could seriously complain over.
Maybe one thing, the price of the complete box is a killer for the working stiff.! There's lot of material I could do without and some a can't live without, they know that and bury us all. I wish they'd let us pick and chose the pieces we want in HD downloads and pay accordingly. Just my 2 cents. ;)
OH, and I'd like Animals and Meddle remixed in 5.1 like the rest. TIA. :)
Well, Meddle we have already....

Really enjoyed the new mix of AMLOR. There are only really a couple of highlights for me which are YAM and Sorrow, the former i thought came across really well in surround with the movie dialogue snippets in particular. Defintely a highlight in the Floyd catalogue. I have only watched a few bits of DSOT but i was impressed how much effort has obviously gone into it.
I now await the NMSOS BD, LP,signed poster and fridge magnet edition!:51QQ
Btw. i had an online argument the other day regarding Roger and Floyd.
I stated that i personally think Roger has become anti-semitic paranoiac political far-left communist and was met with 'Without Roger there was no Floyd, period'.
Well, i had to disagree. What about Bob Klose and the T Set etc.?:coffee:
Maybe he would have been an ''enormously successful architect by now''? To quote Andrew King.
I think that Pink Floyd was 2 different bands towards the end:
Three of the guys just wanted to play music and rock on. The other guy was obsessed with himself and his personal ideas. His ego didn't allow him to be a quarter of a great group.

I really like the mix of AMLOR. Listening on four full range channels. Saw the tour stop in Tampa which was also multichannel. Glad I don't have any problems with the vocals on my setup.

Is the Pulse Blu-Ray audio really a remix? I never saw that detailed in any of the specs just 'restored and re-edited'.

Of course the lossless audio on the blu-ray should be an improvement over the lossy on DVD etc.

Is the Pulse Blu-Ray audio really a remix? I never saw that detailed in any of the specs just 'restored and re-edited'.

Of course the lossless audio on the blu-ray should be an improvement over the lossy on DVD etc.
I can't say why for sure, but it does sound much improved to me?

I'm basing my vote on AMLOR & DSOT. These two discs are the only ones that interested me.
IMO there are fidelity & mix problems on AMOLR.
The sound is blurry. Instruments are not sharply defined. The clarity just isn't there. I wonder if the source tape they used was in poor shape?
I had a real problem with the vocals. They are just too far back in the mix. It would have been nice to get dry lead vocals isolated in the center channel. Then it would be easier to bring out the vocals. That's not the way this was mixed.
After fiddling around I finally got it sounding a little better. It's not my system. I don't have this issue with other releases.
DSOT turned out much better. I'm glad to have this in my collection.

Back