Pink Floyd - The Later Years (1987-2019) [CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Box Set]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working:

Learning to Fly Vocal Boost 1.jpg

Back later..... much later. Merry Christmas to all, or whatever your Holiday may be, may it be GREAT!

Gone through most of the set now. DSOT is the jewel here to me. Odd choices on the new mix tho. Do they really needed to cut the bass solo from this mix? Anyway great sound and picture.
PULSE looks better than my LD so I’m happy and now full resolution 5.1 audio so double happy. Same mix tho.
AMLOR sound good to my ears. Never a favourite but I think I can listen to this version better.
TDB same 5.1 mix I already have from previous boxset. No full resolution stereo here tho.
TER same 5.1 mix but new background video.
Venice and Knebworth video are ok. The sound of Venice is good but stereo only. Knebworth sound is great, specially on 5.1. Some odd cuts here and there on the mix as with the rest of the live material. If you are very familiar with the material the changes/cuts through this boxset stick out like a sore thumb. Nothing I would say critical but sometimes just odd choices.
The unreleased material is nice but not essential to me.
The 7” are a nice bonus.
The printed material are beautiful.
In general a very good set to me.
:LB

I still stand by my statement that if you listen to the first two tracks of "The Division Bell", then immediately listen to "Learning to Fly", the difference in the audio/mix quality is startling.
I just did exactly that (LPCM). I don't hear much difference in the quality of production. The vocals definitely stand out more during What Do You Want From Me?, as opposed to Learning to Fly, but Gilmour is boldly singing the former and mostly speaking, almost whispering the latter. So, I moved on to On the Turning Away, as a potentially fairer comparison. Much clearer vocal, as one might expect, given the bolder singing. Switching back to What Do You Want? I again just don't hear dramatic differences in production. Subtle ones, yes.

I just did exactly that (LPCM). I don't hear much difference in the quality of production. The vocals definitely stand out more during What Do You Want From Me?, as opposed to Learning to Fly, but Gilmour is boldly singing the former and mostly speaking, almost whispering the latter. So, I moved on to On the Turning Away, as a potentially fairer comparison. Much clearer vocal, as one might expect, given the bolder singing. Switching back to What Do You Want? I again just don't hear dramatic differences in production. Subtle ones, yes.

I went back and ripped the PCM instead of the DTS-HD to see if it made a difference. They were pretty much the same.
I also tried to put "One Slip" and "Learning to Fly" through RX7 boosting the vocals with mixed results. I am not sure exactly what the program does to the non-vocal material, so first I tried it on the entire 5.1 file, then I pulled off the fronts as a stereo file, boosted the vocals on that, then I patched it back into the 5.1 file overwriting the original 5.1 fronts.

To me it did sound quite a bit easier on the brain, but it still didn't shine like a superb 5.1 mix. I suppose I am just expecting too much. I went back and listened to "The Division Bell" again and EB is right, as the mix fills with more and more instruments and sounds, it does sound very similar.

I might play around with this some more, but I will again stand on my disappointment with this release. And it's kind of depressing................ :(

Another note to add to the many.
I own the complete Japanese Cardboard Sleeve Mini LP's SHM CD stereo of all the Pink Floyd albums and looked at the DR values for A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (stereo) SHM CD vs the stereo BD 24/96 of the new set.
The SHM CD actually sounds a hair better and the DR's are 11,10,10,10,09,09,11,12,09,11,09.
The new BD stereo is less and are ----------------------------12,09,08,10,08,09,09,12,11,12,08.
These numbers where taken from JRiver software and not a big deal, just a note for the hobbyist.

Last edited:
OK, here are two samples. Hopefully I won't get arrested for posting them. They are only 16 second clips.

Chunk of "Learning to Fly", as-is off the BluRay, 24-96 6 Channel wav:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Samples/LTF-RAW.wav
View attachment 44995

Chunk of "Learning to Fly", off the BluRay, 24-96 6 Channel wav with the Front Vocals boosted in RX-7 Advanced:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Samples/LTF-VBoost.wav
View attachment 44996
To me, it would sound right if it was adjusted to about midway between the two samples; I guess it just depends on how prominent you like to hear the vocals on this.
I'd like to know what feature in RX-7 you used to adjust the vocals?

OK, here are two samples. Hopefully I won't get arrested for posting them. They are only 16 second clips.

Chunk of "Learning to Fly", as-is off the BluRay, 24-96 6 Channel wav:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Samples/LTF-RAW.wav
View attachment 44995

Chunk of "Learning to Fly", off the BluRay, 24-96 6 Channel wav with the Front Vocals boosted in RX-7 Advanced:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/Samples/LTF-VBoost.wav
View attachment 44996

I like the boosted vocals better.

Jon - I think One Slip is the worst offender. I mean, it's as if the vocals have a blanket over them. Try it at lower volumes, it's even more pronounced.

Back