Pink Floyd - The Later Years (1987-2019) [CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Box Set]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought "One Slip" was the track that suffered the most on the 5.1 AMLOR remix.

It's definitely different and takes some getting used to, but I don't hate it. It's not like the original is going anywhere. But subjectively not to taste and almost unlistenable (e.g. bass obscuring things on Yet Another Movie) are two different things to me.

The AMLOR remix was a huge miss for me. I much prefer The Division Bell, not just for the more adventurous surround mixing but also the clarity. AMLOR 5.1 just sounds old and muddy on my system. It's easy enough to A/B them since they're on the same disc - I switched from "What Do You Want From Me" over to "Learning To Fly" and it's like someone threw a blanket over the speakers...

The AMLOR remix was a huge miss for me. I much prefer The Division Bell, not just for the more adventurous surround mixing but also the clarity. AMLOR 5.1 just sounds old and muddy on my system. It's easy enough to A/B them since they're on the same disc - I switched from "What Do You Want From Me" over to "Learning To Fly" and it's like someone threw a blanket over the speakers...

Strange. AMLOR (other than the two complaints) sounds much clearer with more bass, etc. than the original CD I have here. It's really not the same recording as Division Bell, although I wouldn't say better or worse, but a lot of people didn't like AMLOR on CD either (blaming it on digital when many of the issues were low volume, IMO.)

You sound annoyed or something (hard to tell) that I think it sounds bad.
Not at all, just stating the obvious. Being the sonic perfectionist that he is it's hard to imagine him allowing anything to be released that didn't meet his high standards. I personally don't have the same issue with the volume of the vocals in this new mix. Sounds fine to me but to each their own.

I dunno. All I can say is the regular CD version kicks me in the gut on those "Grass is greener" kick drum thumps on my Carvers. The 5.1 version does not. I don't care how much I turn up my 15" sub in the home theater, it doesn't kick me in the gut either (i.e There's deep bass, but not kick you in the gut type hits (on that one even the CD one doesn't quite get there where you feel you've been kicked in the gut, despite 110+ dB deep bass capability. Even my 70+ year old mother loves the CD version on my Carver speakers when she visits (requests to hear it a lot). Something changed in the mix. Maybe it's in the upper bass where Carvers have 4 foot ribbons and 700 watts to move the air in the 150Hz+ range plus there's a wooden floor to connect the bass to the chairs upstairs and a concrete floor downstairs. But then the home theater has 8 middle to upper bass drivers in "stereo" mode alone plus the 15" sub goes flat to 20Hz.

What kind of speakers are you using?
I know and really like that kick you're referring to. I had a listen to the 5.1 mix last night and could hear (and feel) the thunderous bass kick at these points: "Along the long road... by the cut" and "The grass was greener... the nights of wonder".

It's not there on the last "The grass was greener... forever and ever" though. Weird. I no longer have the original CD and so can't compare the 5.1 with the original stereo mix.

I have SVS Ultra Tower Fronts/Centre/Bookshelf for the surrounds and SVS PB3000 sub.

I just listened to the 5.1 Remix/Remaster of AMLOR for the first time on my Carver Ribbon + Klipsch Surround system and it was weird! They didn't just move the sounds around. It seems like they completely changed the mix in many places. I assume these were alternate takes in many cases (having made my own album it can be night and day using different takes and unused parts or leaving other parts out) or perhaps some are now much louder instruments that were turned way down before and vice versa. Some were interesting. Some were not as good, IMO. I'm going to try it next on my home theater system with a 17.1 channel upmix and see how it sounds.

They need to get the guys that did the Atmos mix of Booka Shade's "DEAR FUTURE SELF" to do Atmos mixes of all the Pink Floyd albums. I bet they would be crazy interesting (maybe not better, but interesting). I can just imagine Piper at the Gates of Dawn in Atmos.... :D
I don't think anyone responded to you yet to explain that David Gilmour wanted to "take the 80s" out of the mix. They re-recorded most of the drum parts and dropped in keyboards from the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour so Rick Wright's contributions would be more apparent. Rontoon already mentioned using the live vocal for "On the Turning Away." I'm sure there is an exhaustive list somewhere.

As far as having Atmos versions of the Pink Floyd Albums, Nick Mason mentioned that he would like to hear Dark Side of the Moon in that format. I don't think anybody other than James Guthrie would be allowed to mix it though.

I don't think anyone responded to you yet to explain that David Gilmour wanted to "take the 80s" out of the mix. They re-recorded most of the drum parts and dropped in keyboards from the Delicate Sound of Thunder tour so Rick Wright's contributions would be more apparent. Rontoon already mentioned using the live vocal for "On the Turning Away." I'm sure there is an exhaustive list somewhere.

As far as having Atmos versions of the Pink Floyd Albums, Nick Mason mentioned that he would like to hear Dark Side of the Moon in that format. I don't think anybody other than James Guthrie would be allowed to mix it though.

Take the '80s out of the album, eh? I wonder if Gilmour thinks they should take the '60s out of The Piper at the Gates of Dawn too??? (seeing he wasn't yet in the band, it's probably none of his business, but the more crazy sounding things I read the more I think maybe Roger had legitimate reasons to want to dissolve Pink Floyd, after all).

I'd love Alan Parsons to do a new mix for them. The SACD mix of Dark Side wasn't as good, overall, IMO.

Though it may have be the intention of the remix, I don't think they really succeeded in "de-80s-ifying" the sound of AMLOR. There's still plenty of reverb and massive gated drum fills.

Go back about 700+ posts and you'll see I agree with you 100%. The difference is drastic.

Go back about 700+ posts and you'll see I agree with you 100%. The difference is drastic.

And so you're implying the original mix of AMLOR was fine, just the remix is a "blanket"? The two recordings were never anything alike. What do you want from me is somewhat compressed (loud) and a tad harsh with the overbearing vocals and always has been (never my favorite on the album), but you're right, a blanket it is not...more like a fire engine by comparison.

However, I'm thinking the two albums are better suited to very different speakers. Brighter speakers may work better for AMLOR and are harsher for TDB while more laid back speakers would sound great with TDB and be muddier with AMLOR. I certainly noticed my Carver ribbons are more the latter with the two albums and my PSB speakers are more the former as AMLOR sounds better on PSB and TDB worse relative to the Carver speakers. Certainly, AMLOR does not sound like a blanket in 5.1 form on the PSB speakers here (quite clear vocals save the ones on OTTA that I thought were too low) while TDB rocks on the Carvers (stereo version in particular, probably in part to the surround speakers being inferior to the Carver mains.)

What do you want from me is somewhat compressed (loud) and a tad harsh with the overbearing vocals...

That's interesting--I had completely the opposite impression. "What Do You Want From Me" sounds great played loud on my system, and it seems pretty dynamic--particularly the breakdown part where Gilmour sings "you can have anything you want...". The backing vocals rising from the rears at the end of the song really sends a shiver down my spine. If anything, my only critique of the Division Bell 5.1 (really 4.0) mix is that the vocals are a touch too far back. I guess it goes to show we all have different equipment, different tastes/expectations, etc.

Most people think louder is more dynamic. It's actually based on how much louder it gets than the average level during the song (e.g. Cannon blasts in 1812 overture might be 30dB louder than the average level and is very dynamic, but that makes the overall average music level much lower, which many find confusing as it sounds quieter while an album like the Red Hot Chili Peppers' Californication album is about as undynamic as you can possibly get playing blasting loud to the point of clipping throughout.

But polls have shown people think dynamic means loud when it means the loudest parts are much louder than the average. There's a web site that rates dynamics. The Wall is pretty dynamic, for example as well as Roger's Amused To Death (all those quiet ambient bits and then a really loud explosion like in Late Home Tonight).

I just noticed Pink Floyd's Delicate Sound of Thunder is now available in 4K on iTunes (still no Atmos mix, though). It's strange many releases are now coming out in 2K Blu-Ray only but in 4K in streaming (e.g. The Golden Child has a limited edition new Blu-Ray but it's only 2K, but it's 4K Dolby Vision on iTunes). This one isn't even HDR, though and of course the audio is Dolby 5.1 only (Blu-Rays have 2-channel 24/96 and 5.1 DTS HD-MA sound. Of course, I wouldn't have complained if the Blu-Ray came with a digital copy in 4K.

Looks like Pink Floyd are not done milking "The Later Years" just quite yet...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08Y4RQGXJ/
There's a single CD and double vinyl edition of the 1990 Knebworth concert being released on April 30th

Wish they would just get whatever "Later Years" releases out already so they can be done with it and move on to the 5.1 mixes of "Animals" and "The Wall"...

There's a single CD and double vinyl edition of the 1990 Knebworth concert being released on April 30th

Wish they would just get whatever "Later Years" releases out already so they can be done with it and move on to the 5.1 mixes of "Animals" and "The Wall"...
Well, I am done buying. Animals or The Wall, that's it for me.

I get daily emails from the PF Store peddling all sorts of garbage

Stand-alone of DB and AMLoR would sure be nice!

Back