Pink Floyd - The Later Years (1987-2019) [CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Box Set]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stand-alone of DB and AMLoR would sure be nice!

I wouldn't count on the 5.1 mixes of either album being released outside of the box set.
Maybe the band will put out single CD and vinyl editions of the new stereo mix of "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" but I can't imagine too much more beyond that...

I doubt that will happen. Most likely there will be a single CD and vinyl edition of the Momentary Lapse of Reason remix in the future
There was a stand-alone release of The Division Bell on DVD (with Dolby Digital and DTS, I think) at the time of the 20th anniversary boxed set, but it was a blink-of-the-eye-thing and it was gone. I think a few members (barely) managed to get their hands on it at the time.

There was a stand-alone release of The Division Bell on DVD (with Dolby Digital and DTS, I think) at the time of the 20th anniversary boxed set, but it was a blink-of-the-eye-thing and it was gone. I think a few members (barely) managed to get their hands on it at the time.
The Immersion box set came out on July 1st 2014 and the standalone DVD came out on June 30th 2015 (according to my old emails).
IMG_20210310_124053255.jpg

I picked up a copy on Ebay a few years ago for about 40$. Love it!

The Immersion box set came out on July 1st 2014 and the standalone DVD came out on June 30th 2015 (according to my old emails).
Alright! That was it. I remember talking about the release with ogrequad, and he managed to pick up the stand-alone disc too. I think it blinked by the first time because he missed it then, and just managed to get it when a second batch arrived at retailers or was unearthed. It kind of felt like one of those quick gestures from the band, and then it was gone.

There's no demand for Pink Floyd for a stand-alone disc? How very very odd. I don't see how Pink Floyd can be both greedy (high priced box sets) and stupid (turn down sales) at the same time.

There's no demand for Pink Floyd for a stand-alone disc? How very very odd. I don't see how Pink Floyd can be both greedy (high priced box sets) and stupid (turn down sales) at the same time.
Sadly that is not limited to the Floyd management. Several surround releases the past years come exclusively with the big, over priced box sets only.

It's a balance between box sets vs individual releases and making sure that certain media remains exclusive to the box.

It's a balance between box sets vs individual releases and making sure that certain media remains exclusive to the box.

Which is why eBay is filled with sellers selling copies of these exclusive discs in one format or another, and the group and/or eBay do nothing about it at all. I was shocked at the availability of DTS discs of all of the PF stuff, including Meddle, which are just digital copies of the legit stuff many paid big bucks for.

Which is why eBay is filled with sellers selling copies of these exclusive discs in one format or another, and the group and/or eBay do nothing about it at all. I was shocked at the availability of DTS discs of all of the PF stuff, including Meddle, which are just digital copies of the legit stuff many paid big bucks for.
Not to mention the ubiquitous Russian Federation BD-R knockoffs for $15.
Bugs me because they come up in my saved eBay searches a lot. I just have to look, in case it's a legit copy, but 99.9% of the time, it seems, it's a knock-off!

Last edited:
It's funny how it always seems to be the richest groups that show the most contempt for their fans.

Pink Floyd is my favorite group of all time, but things like Waters driving a Bentley while acting like he's against the government or rich phat cats has always struck me as hypocritical (as if he's not one of them). Gilmour refused to sing Have a Cigar precisely because he didn't feel that way so at least he's honest about it. But these guys would just be failed architecture students (save Dave and Syd) without their fans so you think they could be a tiny bit less petty about things like Animals getting its surround release (Dave & Nick may have just voted NO to stick it to Roger from what I read) and yet Dave writes how he reached out to his enemy when it seems clear they both do it. Most fans simply want to hear the surround mix already. Enough is enough.

I don't give a crap about their perceived differences. Holding back an HD version of The Wall (when it looked pretty darn good on HDNet compared to the DVD) is right up there with James Cameron not releasing True Lies on Bluray because he wants to oversee the transfer himself, but in over a decade and a half has never found time to do it! I see it's now on Prime in HD (but you can't buy it). They might as well kick dirt in our faces and get it over with.

Ask me if I care about some seller on eBay selling The Wall from HDNet when it's clear Roger is holding it back precisely because he didn't like the film in the first place and performed The Wall live again for his own ego and not wanting to show the original concert film made in the '80s precisely because Gilmour is in it, despite how many fans would like to see it (I was in preschool at the time so it wasn't gonna happen live for me!)

They can keep it. I like the music and the musicianship, but that petty crap is for the birds! Box sets only? Let them kick some more dirt at us. It really shows their contempt. Now I sometimes think I was crazier than Syd to idolize these guys in high school.

Let them kick some more dirt at us. It really shows their contempt. Now I sometimes think I was crazier than Syd to idolize these guys in high school.
It depends on how old you are. When I was in high school DSOTM and WYWH were released. There was good reason to idolize them back then.

Last edited:
It depends on how old you are. When I was in high school DSOTM and WYWH were released. There was good reason to idolize them back then.

I was also in high school. Not only DSOTM/WYWH, but also the film at Pompeii. Impossible to not idolize back then.
Also my favourite group of all time, despite Waters after leaving the group.

Edited: I don't know if my previous sentence is clear. I'm a super pro fan of Gilmour and his guitar style. Waters, while I don't hate him, he's on the "other side".

Last edited:
I think most fans already have their favourite bands albums/CD's and don’t want to fork out for box sets
I can’t see new fans forking out tens of ££ for these either
These box sets are just way over priced merchandise
what I really would like are their albums in previously unreleased formats e.g. SACD/Pure audio without the bull.

I’ve been waiting for Animals and The Wall in 5.1 for many years.
I heard that Waters wants them released, Gilmour doesn’t and Mason doesn’t want to rock the boat. no pun intended :^)
If it’s down to the album mix choice, put all the mix’s on a Blu-ray and let the fans choose which one they prefer.

Please for God's sake most fans just want these to be released ASAP and don’t want the bull

Rush also are guilty of overpriced 5.1 re-releases e.g. Hemispheres/Farewell to Kings

I simply wish they would keep their petty fighting among themselves and think about why they're rich and famous in the first place (i.e. the fans). I'm not asking for a handout, but I'm not getting any younger either and it's been have a lifetime since Animals came out already. If my hearing goes or I check out early, well bollocks on them.

What possible reason could Gilmour have to not let Animals be released in 5.1 other than we know he and Waters despise each other and Gilmour never liked Animals that much to begin with (never plays any of the tracks from it or The Final Cut live ever since the '70s). But Animals wasn't really Animals until Waters made it so. Dogs was You've Gotta Be Crazy and Sheep was Raving and Drooling, but those were collaborative efforts (the last of them although I think those two predated WYWH even as I seem to recall them being played on DSOTM set lists. The worst thing is their animosity seems to boil down to who has creative control over the group. Gilmour may be the better musician, but Waters is a founding member and Gilmour was originally brought on to cover Syd going comatose during live gigs. The account of Gilmour walking offstage during the final Animals live show when he claims he doesn't even remember what he was angry about says it all, IMO. But should the fans be denied a simple surround remix because they don't like each other? They can't leave the fans out of it? Two rich fat cats arguing over whether they should buy Meow Mix or Fancy Feast?

I'll be trying Animals out on the Surround Master as soon as I get the new V3 one hooked up (not out yet, though).

Back