Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only say that REALLY sounds like a stretch! (I'll go with that pun.)

I think even the most - lets go with the word faithful - devotees to DSD would immediately admit that even a CDR recorder at 16/44.1 would preserve audio better than deteriorating tape! (And of course it would be 24/96 if PCM was used.) And risking losing the master with that?!

Obviously I'd guess the workflow might be to transfer the recording to 24/96 digital and dial in the mix with that. Then swap in the analog recording for the final mix pass. (Fingers tightly crossed. Breath held.)

Could be.

Yeah but anyway, I'd kind of like to hear it one of these years!

I can only say that REALLY sounds like a stretch! (I'll go with that pun.)

I think even the most - lets go with the word faithful - devotees to DSD would immediately admit that even a CDR recorder at 16/44.1 would preserve audio better than deteriorating tape! (And of course it would be 24/96 if PCM was used.) And risking losing the master with that?!

Obviously I'd guess the workflow might be to transfer the recording to 24/96 digital and dial in the mix with that. Then swap in the analog recording for the final mix pass. (Fingers tightly crossed. Breath held.)

Could be.

Yeah but anyway, I'd kind of like to hear it one of these years!
The only way we could know for sure would be to ask him directly lol.

I think a solution to the wall dilemma could be to duplicate the baked original multi track reels to some brand new tape stock but then you'd lose a generation.

Although we can all agree doing a straight transfer to pcm 96/192khz 24bit would be the most sensible idea. (Especially since that's what sw and everyone else does)

For the inevitable Analogue Productions hybrid SACD version, I think it will have to be. According to Wikipedia, the album is 80 minutes and 42 seconds long. That's just outside the maximum allowable length in the Redbook, and although it can definitely fit on a modern CD, I'm not sure about the CD layer of a hybrid SACD nor the willingness of Pink Floyd Records to release an out-of-spec disc (unless it's a DVD with higher-than-officially-supported Dolby Digital bitrate; thanks, James Guthrie 🙃). Then, there's the SACD layer, which includes a mandatory stereo program. As such, the maximum length of a multichannel SACD is about 74 minutes with the multichannel program using DST compression.
I they drop the whole of side B from the second disc, nobody would care and it would be one disc. A win for everyone. 😏

As such, the maximum length of a multichannel SACD is about 74 minutes with the multichannel program using DST compression.
It entirely depends on the content. That is a rough ballpark estimate. I know of SACDs with longer programs because the content on the disc is inherently more compressible.

1708697008251.png

Back