Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm. Waters/Guthrie or Gilmour/Jackson? Give me the latter any day of the week.

Not so sure about that. The only surround mix in the entire cannon that seemed to miss the mark both sonically and surround wise by a long mile was Jackson’s “Momentary Lapse of Reason”

If there's any money to be made by them from its release, why object?

Let me ask you something in the "real world"....is there anybody in your life that you don't want to have anything to do with...an ex wife or girlfriend...an IRS enforcement officer.anybody?...Waters is toxic to David and company...it's really that simple...as far as making money...none of these guys are starving...they can live without more money

Having burned out on the Wall years ago, and not being a fan of Guthrie's 5.1 mixes (I think his 5.1 of Dark Side of the Moon suuuuucks), I'm probably going to pass on this. I know it's an iconic album, but I really can't listen to it anymore
Agreed. I’ll look for Animals. I hate the Wall.

COMING: THE WALL 2020

See the source image

AND MEXICO'S GOING TO PAY FOR THE ATMOS REMIX!

The only surround mix in the entire cannon that seemed to miss the mark both sonically and surround wise by a long mile was Jackson’s “Momentary Lapse of Reason”

To my ears, Jackson's approach to mixing AMLOR in 5.1 wasn't all that different to Guthrie's on DSOTM and WYWH. It's got more of an 'in the room' immersive type of feel rather than isolating instruments in different speakers or areas of the sound field (as was done on Jackson's 5.1 mixes of The Division Bell and Rattle That Lock). The bigger problem for me was the fidelity - maybe it had something to do with the condition of the masters, but it sounds muddy and boomy on my system.

To my ears, Jackson's approach to mixing AMLOR in 5.1 wasn't all that different to Guthrie's on DSOTM and WYWH. It's got more of an 'in the room' immersive type of feel rather than isolating instruments in different speakers or areas of the sound field (as was done on Jackson's 5.1 mixes of The Division Bell and Rattle That Lock). The bigger problem for me was the fidelity - maybe it had something to do with the condition of the masters, but it sounds muddy and boomy on my system.

Between the stereo remix complaints on the Early Years box, mostly the high end, and your critique of AMLOR being muddy, maybe AJ should concentrate on the mixing, which I adore, and let someone else master it?

Let me ask you something in the "real world"....is there anybody in your life that you don't want to have anything to do with...an ex wife or girlfriend...an IRS enforcement officer.anybody?...Waters is toxic to David and company...it's really that simple...as far as making money...none of these guys are starving...they can live without more money

COMING: THE WALL 2020

See the source image

AND MEXICO'S GOING TO PAY FOR THE ATMOS REMIX!

Pink Floyd...the microcosm of the two party, hate the other side, political system today (here in US). Rog should write a song. Haha.

I've really never been a "huge" fan of The Wall....obviously, I had it....played it...often after release. That said, a superior surround mix of the album would be absolutely excellent IMO! Might even be frightening, I think.
I'm a bit surprised by the numbers expressing various levels of distaste for The Wall. Makes me feel a bit better, I was thinking I was alone in that. Not that I hate The Wall, just that I feel better when it's not playing.

As to the remarks of unhappiness with the multich mixes of various Floyd albums, speaking for myself I think I've become spoiled by the work of Parsons and Wilson in recent years. Neither Guthrie or Jackson work is bad, it just doesn't stand up against the others.

I'm a bit surprised by the numbers expressing various levels of distaste for The Wall. Makes me feel a bit better, I was thinking I was alone in that. Not that I hate The Wall, just that I feel better when it's not playing.

As to the remarks of unhappiness with the multich mixes of various Floyd albums, speaking for myself I think I've become spoiled by the work of Parsons and Wilson in recent years. Neither Guthrie or Jackson work is bad, it just doesn't stand up against the others.

All this Floyd talk.....I think I'll spin a few multi-channel titles. Maybe...meddle. Hmmm

I slayed off The Wall for almost 25 years, then 'mysteriously' played it again last year and it was fun. It does have some highs and lows, but on the whole I like it way better than The Final Cut, but that's not saying much. I think I like it more that MLOR, especially as that surround mix took a lot of tweaking to get it to where I could listen to it.

Back