Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every evening started with The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys blasting out of there sound system. I always thought it was a great song that I had no idea of the meaning. Maybe in this respect it referred to silly platform shoes we we wearing.
By the way, what is your impression of the songs meaning. I've always heard it was a reference to the rebellious attitude that was prevalent at the time.

As a straight white 63 year old male. My memory of disco is the primary focus was to pick up women. That’s all the music meant to me. I was strictly a rock and roll guy, but I used the opportunity to my advantage. It’s funny I remember one place I frequented called The Last National Bank. Every evening started with The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys blasting out of there sound system. I always thought it was a great song that I had no idea of the meaning. Maybe in this respect it referred to silly platform shoes we we wearing. Then they would play disco music and the hunt began.
Similar here also (the Ladies 💃 ruled!) Was mainly a Rock n' Roll guy; buuuutttt, since I've been exposed to more Funk music in my later years, I've grown very enamored with the Funk and consider Disco sort of a sister genre to the brother Funk (lots of similarities.) So I'm not so hard off of Disco these days. I can hear some beats in a lot of music that could be a faintly nod to Disco, and it can make it more interesting IMO 😁

By the way, what is your impression of the songs meaning. I've always heard it was a reference to the rebellious attitude that was prevalent at the time.
You know I don’t really bother trying to figure out song meanings unless they are obvious. You usually find out from the artist the lyrics just worked. Of course some artists, Roger Waters for example, write songs with obvious meanings. In the context of hearing at the disco, it seemed to refer to the hunt of the night. If you google it then the interpretations vary from the rebellious attitude you reference and various types of drug use. I was always thought it was about the record executives and maybe the other band members. He sings “If I gave you everything that I owned and asked for nothing in return. Would you do the same for me as I would for you? Or take me for a ride, and strip me of everything including my pride. But spirit is something that no one destroys”

Similar here also (the Ladies 💃 ruled!) Was mainly a Rock n' Roll guy; buuuutttt, since I've been exposed to more Funk music in my later years, I've grown very enamored with the Funk and consider Disco sort of a sister genre to the brother Funk (lots of similarities.) So I'm not so hard off of Disco these days. I can hear some beats in a lot of music that could be a faintly nod to Disco, and it can make it more interesting IMO 😁
There’s always been a fine line between disco and funk. I mean the Ohio Players were awesome funk in my mind, but they were a staple in discos. Even hard funk like the Funkadelics were played at the disco. Get off your ass and jam would get you right out on the floor. I’m thankful there are no pictures of me out there!

I can only speak for me. I had no love for Disco, and was happy when it went away. But it had nothing to do with race or gender in the least. It was starting to gradually creep into my rock landscape, and my teenage sensibilities resented that. Besides, I wasn't a good dancer.

Yeah, my issue with it at the time was that it seemed like it just took over. I mean, LITERALLY in some cases: What was at the time the last reasonably underground radio station in my home town went disco. Everything was disco this and disco that and there was just no effing escape. I mean, MCA called Laserdisc "DiscoVision"!

It always struck me as somewhat aggressively, insecurely, overcompensatingly heterosexual, so I was surprised to learn decades later just how many gay people were involved in the music. Possibly related, someone falsely attributed anti-gay quotes to Donna Summer, who then had to go out of her way to disavow them.

In David Bowman's (yes, 2001 fans, that was really his name) book about the Talking Heads, there's a passage where David Byrne talks about anti-disco sentiment and how, in his opinion, it always seemed like a cover for having an issue with black or gay people. I was hoping to find the exact quote, but there's no entry for "Disco" in the book's index.

(I know, I'm contributing to the topic drift. It's just an interesting subject to me because I remember the era, remember my antipathy toward it but now that I'm no longer being force-fed I find that I actually enjoy it.)

"And the trigger word will be "disco" which will activate the sleeper agents in the Pink Floyd thread. They will immediately rise up and completely derail any possibility of news regarding The Wall 5.1 surround release."

"Excellent. I see the plan is working to perfection."
What? No menacing Dr. Evil laugh?

allright, back to Pink Floyd again: what does everyone think will be the most dramatic use of surround on The Wall?

I'm thinking it might be "the trial" sequence, with the various characters coming in & the orchestra bits/musical cues

allright, back to Pink Floyd again: what does everyone think will be the most dramatic use of surround on The Wall?

I'm thinking it might be "the trial" sequence, with the various characters coming in & the orchestra bits/musical cues
I would guess the dialogue/sound effects will be the most dramatic: baby crying, helicopters, "You! Yes, You! Stand still laddie!", "Are all these your guitars?", breaking glass, etc. I can't imagine James Guthrie getting too aggressive with any of the actual music, but here's to hoping.

In concert (in 1980) the surround effects were most evident in the birds at the start of Goodbye Blue Sky, in Another Brick Pt 3, in Bring the Boys Back Home, The Show Must Go On, and the start of The Trial. I wonder if Guthrie has a reference to the original live mix? I believe he was doing the mix at the time.

In concert (in 1980) the surround effects were most evident in the birds at the start of Goodbye Blue Sky, in Another Brick Pt 3, in Bring the Boys Back Home, The Show Must Go On, and the start of The Trial. I wonder if Guthrie has a reference to the original live mix? I believe he was doing the mix at the time.

ah that is a good point: JG mixed the live shows, so he would be familiar with how they did things

did they ever release the live Wall ( 1980 ) concert in surround? probably the DVD was? or was it only audio

I can only speculate on some of this. Maybe Ron knows?
I believe they prepared a quad fx reel for the tour just like for '77. That would have had all the folly elements. You can listen to all the shows from the original tour and hear the identical taped elements (if you study the recordings). As far as I can tell from the tapes (13 year old me never made it to any of the shows), some of Dave's & Rick's solos and Rick's worm sounds would have been joystick panned live. Those elements being unique show to show for that.

Guthrie would have certainly been the guy who produced that quad fx reel for the tour. He's into going back to original sources and paying attention to detail there in his remixes. (Weather you agree with his final results or not.) He'll have the quad elements as heard at the shows in the surround mix almost guaranteed.

I believe they prepared a quad fx reel for the tour just like for '77. That would have had all the folly elements. You can listen to all the shows from the original tour and hear the identical taped elements (if you study the recordings). As far as I can tell from the tapes (13 year old me never made it to any of the shows), some of Dave's & Rick's solos and Rick's worm sounds would have been joystick panned live. Those elements being unique show to show for that.

Guthrie would have certainly been the guy who produced that quad fx reel for the tour. He's into going back to original sources and paying attention to detail there in his remixes. (Weather you agree with his final results or not.) He'll have the quad elements as heard at the shows in the surround mix almost guaranteed.
The live music (as opposed to pre-recorded effects) I remember to have been most active in the surrounds was Rick's keyboard swirls in Another Brick 3. It was quite thrilling live, but recall that this was an improvised and somewhat extended section that does not mirror the studio LP. So whether Guthrie would choose to reproduce that effect in that song is up for grabs.

There was a sound effects reel that was played back during the shows. I'm not sure if it was in quad or panned via the Azimuth Coordinator like the keyboards and guitar (especially during the solo during Money). The panned effects were all done live.

Back