Pink Floyd The Wall in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Money is less important to them than preserving and cultivating their catalogue in a way that satisfies themselves and their legacies

I don't read it that way. They are putting up the rights to their masters and brand rights, that means they would likely need to give up a sizable amount of control. I doubt any conglomerate is gonna give you 500 million and then say "you just tell us what you want and don't want to release for us to recoup the purchase price".

And shrewdly, they want to retain publishing rights so the big payday isn't the end of the income stream.

I agree with that. But given the balance of power in the band (and let’s still call them a band, even though it’s more an entity that curates the legacy and does the odd thing for charity) it’s hard to see there being much impetus for anything relating to The Wall or The Final Cut, much as I’d love 5.1 versions of each of them.

If anything for fans, I would see this as being good thing for thinking 5.1s of other titles will see the light of day. No one would be shelling out the money if they were just satisfied with the back catalog sales. The down side may be that the new controlling interests may think Guthrie or Jackson isn't with the money on a 5.1 remix.

If anything for fans, I would see this as being good thing for thinking 5.1s of other titles will see the light of day. No one would be shelling out the money if they were just satisfied with the back catalog sales. The down side may be that the new controlling interests may think Guthrie or Jackson isn't with the money on a 5.1 remix.
Andy Jackson is retired but he may mix Gilmour's next album if asked (if and when it ever happens).
The 5.1 mix of The Wall is done and is sure to be released since they paid Guthrie for his work.

Andy Jackson is retired but he may mix Gilmour's next album if asked (if and when it ever happens).
The 5.1 mix of The Wall is done and is sure to be released since they paid Guthrie for his work.

And when you can get Roger Waters & David Gilmour to agree on the liner notes for a Deluxe Edition of The Wall.

You know...I saw something kinda weird on utube yesterday, regarding The Wall.

This guy claimed to have a legitimate copy , maybe 4th generation R2R.

And at the top of the tape notes...it stated "QUAD MIX in something"or on another tape". Something to that affect.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but this was clearly an effects Reel, as were the notation selections on this tape ...

Anyway I thought I'd put this up, maybe someone knows more ?

You know...I saw something kinda weird on utube yesterday, regarding The Wall.

This guy claimed to have a legitimate copy , maybe 4th generation R2R.

And at the top of the tape notes...it stated "QUAD MIX in something"or on another tape". Something to that affect.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but this was clearly an effects Reel, as were the notation selections on this tape ...

Anyway I thought I'd put this up, maybe someone knows more ?

This is just a guess, but if the tape was just an effects reel, then maybe it was something used in the live shows. They were certainly playing live shows in quad at the time.

AMEM (y)

I do hope for everyone that The Wall becomes a reality sooner rather than later but to be honest I have little interest.
I probably listen to Animals a couple times a month for one of my Pink Floyd fixes, along with just about every other post Adam Heart Mother album in my library.
On the other hand, it's been years since I played The Wall for enjoyment. If I never heard a bunch of middleschoolers scream "hey teacher, live those kids along" again I'd be at peace with it. LOL
I believe it's "Hey, Teacher, Leave those kids alone"

This is just a guess, but if the tape was just an effects reel, then maybe it was something used in the live shows. They were certainly playing live shows in quad at the time.
Absolutely, I went to 2 of the shows in LA in 80, fantastic quad sound, stage production was incredible for the time, just had to witness it a 2nd time

I had always thought it was " behind the grand stands " thanks for clearing that up. The accent is hard to decypher
I always thought it was “Yes, you behind the green shed!”

Listening to it again closely just now I still think it is green shed. Not saying it is not bike sheds but I just don’t hear that!

Last edited:
I thought it was "woodshed".

So that quad fx reel...
They did in fact prepare a quad fx tape to use for the live shows. As they had been doing for a long time at that point. They used joysticks to pan soloing instruments and vocals around the room. They panned some pre-recorded fx by hand - improvising with it in the moment. And they had pre-mixed to quad pre-recorded fx they could pipe right into the quad speakers.

If this is genuinely a copy of said quad fx reel it could be interesting and revealing. Someone could use it to help reconstruct a live recording derived from audience tapers.

I mean, the band could do all these things and produce something with their surround mix moves produced into place. At least work up a recording to 'fan club' levels with genuine surround mixing in place. But they don't seem interested.

I don't know about the lyric in question but every last version of Mother I've ever heard from the original tour recordings to various solo tours down the road, the audience reaction to "Should I trust the government?" is the most enthusiastic #&@% NO!!!!! you'll ever hear from a crowd! No exceptions. "There's one smoking a joint!" usually gets an extra round of applause too.

How the heck did he get Clapton to record and tour with him after immortalizing his (Clapton's) racist crap from a couple years previous like that? And how did he even want to?!

Back