HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• Total voters
I remember when WYWH was first released. The LP was sealed in a semi-dark blue shrink wrap with the round sticker in the top left quarter of the jacket. A Total Knock-Out design. So very appealing. And my school music buddy told me his sister told him it was in fact better than TDSOTM. Then I heard it and agreed. It took me more than a year to buy my own copy. But I did get the quad SQ LP, even not owning a quad system I had to have that one.

It's like getting a Beatles album at time of release. Memories that will not fade.

10/10 for me

Last edited:
I remember when WYWH was first released. The LP was sealed in a semi-dark blue shrink wrap with the round sticker in the top left quarter of the jacket. A Total Knock-Out design. So very appealing. And my school music buddy told me his sister told him it was in fact better than TDSOTM. Then I heard it and agreed. It took me more than a year to buy my own copy. But I did get the quad SQ LP, even not owning a quad system I had to have that one.

It's like getting a Beatles album at time of release. Memories than will not fade.

10/10 for me

I well remember buying WYWH in that blue wrapper. The two surreal postcards inside. And that robot handshake on the LP's label. Cool stuff.

However, I did not like the album at first. At that age I was into music that rocked. Too contemplative for me. But friends convinced me to not give up on it and it didn't take too long to click. Widened my horizons, changed perspectives- truly mind-blowing!

Talk about a grower- from dislike to one of my all-time faves. And it is my fave Floyd album. DSotM, Meddle and Animals are not far behind, but WYWH is the peak. One of my great concert memories seeing them play all of it along with all of Animals in '77.

It's like getting a Beatles album at time of release. Memories than will not fade.

10/10 for me
I still have that original sticker. At the time I stapled it to a small lampshade that was my grandfather's lamp that I hung onto after he died. The lamp and shade are still in use and sticker endures to this day (a little faded though).

I still have that original sticker. At the time I stapled it to a small lampshade that was my grandfather's lamp that I hung onto after he died. The lamp and shade are still in use and sticker endures to this day (a little faded though).
I have a couple of copies of that sticker in my PF goodie bag. The original has a gray border around the parameter, the sticker on the clear shrink wrap copies had no gray border.

The Japanese pressing had a large poster of a guy swimming in sand. Like the guy diving into Mono Lake on the postcard, but here swimming. I'll post a picture here if anyone wants to see that.

There are three artists / groups in my collection that have a "goodie bag" Beatles, Stones, and Floyd. The goodie bags are extra posters, postcards, stickers, and inner sleeves, promotional items, etc. Stuff that does not have a place in other albums, but is too good to toss out. I don't know what I will end up doing with that junk?

Last edited:
The goodie bags are extra posters, postcards, stickers, and inner sleeves, promotional items, etc. Stuff that does not have a place in other albums, but is too good to toss out. I don't know what I will end up doing with that junk?
Hmmm - interesting. I have acquired a lot of extra stuff too, and it tends to get tossed onto a shelf in a closet very disorganized. Maybe I need to consider a simple tote that seals and keep stuff in there.

Hmmm - interesting. I have acquired a lot of extra stuff too, and it tends to get tossed onto a shelf in a closet very disorganized. Maybe I need to consider a simple tote that seals and keep stuff in there.
I use an LP poly outer liner, sometimes the Japanese style with a resealable flap. Once a couple of inner sleeves are inside, it stays firm, and it then goes in the artist's section of the LP collection. For Floyd I have a set of WYWH postcards from many different countries, posters from US vs UK, inserts from Japanese releases where I sold off the LP but kept something groovy from it. For Beatles, I got the Pepper inners and cutouts, several sets of what album posters and the 4 headshot prints.

I'm gearing up to do a YouTube channel soon. And I'm going to through all this stuff actually. Because I keep seeing these videos from members of the so-called "vinyl community" where they sit in front of a big wall of LPs, they take stacks of records and show them off. I feel there is no depth or little background, and too much flipping, and flipping, and I got this I got that. I'd like to get into the details of what you actually got in a UK vs Japan vs US copy of a Beatles or Floyd album release. And nobody is doing that with any detail that I have seen. I can do it with autographed copies of when I met Pink Floyd, The Stones, and The Beatles as well. Plus the concert photography mixed in. I have a unique perspective. The goodie bags will or should help out in showing off the variations.

Last edited:
WYWH is PF's finest album, but neither surround mix does it full justice. Pity.
But I really think that the 70s quad mix brings more spaciousness to the album, especially on SOYCD. And the acoustic guitars ring better on the long later part of WYWH. The bottom line is they did not ruin the mix, nothing is missing or sounds bad. The US SQ vinyl LP is the best the album ever sounded played back in stereo. Even better than the UK SQ imo. For many years that is how I listened to it.

Last edited:
There are three artists / groups in my collection that have a "goodie bag" Beatles, Stones, and Floyd. The goodie bags are extra posters, postcards, stickers, and inner sleeves, promotional items, etc. Stuff that does not have a place in other albums, but is too good to toss out. I don't know what I will end up doing with that junk?
Chances are you won't end up doing anything with that "junk". Someone else will make the decision whether or not it's too good to toss out.
Wish I would have kept more of those trinkets and kept them pristine.

Chances are you won't end up doing anything with that "junk". Someone else will make the decision whether or not it's too good to toss out.
Wish I would have kept more of those trinkets and kept them pristine.
I know your right. I'll keep them throughout while clearing the clutter of everything else. I have kept so many things from my 12 and 13 year old me, I am shocked. Last year I was wondering if I still had Alvin Lee's harmonica he played in a Ten Years After concert and tossed to me at the foot of the stage. I went into a storage room and was digging into a box I figured it may have been in it as other keepsakes from some of that era are there. And sure enough there it was. Now I need to learn a bit of the part of "You Give Me Loving" which he played it on. I don't think it was "I'm Going Home" because that was the last song or near the last. And he tossed the harmonica during the middle of the show I thought. So I am going to tell my story about the concert, hold up the album, show off the ticket stub I still have, and blow a few chords on the thing perfectly with the record playing in the background. That would be a cute video, no?

I have a bunch of these types of video episodes I want to do, very personal stories with details about the music and records.

Last edited:
If you haven't seen this before, it's definitely worth a watch. It's concerning the 5.1 WYWH mix.
Tubular Bells had exactly the same problem when the original quad was mixed (that later ended up on the SACD). Some parts were entirely absent from the multi tracks and had clearly been dropped into the stereo mix later live to cover edit points. Since the quad was only a demo of what was possible, the quad mixing engineer just played the missing parts himself. It went out unaltered. All documented in the SACD inlay booklet.

I suspect this sort of thing is moderately common.

Back