HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• Total voters
I have the SACD 5.1 wish you were here and thinking about purchasing the Wish you were here Immersion box set for the Quad mix. Is the Quad 5.1 Blu ray mix in the Immersion box set worth purchasing if you have the James Guthrie mix already? I have the Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Blu ray box set and greatly prefer the Quad mix : Is the Quad Wish you were Here mix as great an upgrade from the James Guthrie 5.1 Wish you were Here mix? Opinions seem to be mixed on the forum.
Here's a link to the differences between the stereo & quad (hope this is allowed):Pink Floyd: Quad Mix Differences

Yes, I did read that, not having access to the orig Quad recordings, I didn't miss it. Was there ever any explanation for the tinkering?
I've never seen an official explanation. I've seen speculation that it was done simply to make the running time more closely match the stereo and 5.1, but I'd consider that vandalism.

My own speculation is that maybe leaving it in back in the 1970s was always considered a mistake (like the insanity at the end of side one of the U.S. SQ version) and removing it was viewed as a correction.

But I don't claim to actually know.

Here's a link to the differences between the stereo & quad (hope this is allowed):Pink Floyd: Quad Mix Differences
I am a quad 8-track collector, and didn't see in any of these discussions the difference between the U.K. discrete quad mixes of WYWH and DSOTM vs. the U.S. quad releases, which were generally less highly regarded. Those U.K. quad 8-tracks are pretty much the holy grail of 8-track collectors.

Any idea whether these Immersion box sets are including the U.S. or the U.K. quad mixes?

I am a quad 8-track collector, and didn't see in any of these discussions the difference between the U.K. discrete quad mixes of WYWH and DSOTM vs. the U.S. quad releases, which were generally less highly regarded. Those U.K. quad 8-tracks are pretty much the holy grail of 8-track collectors.

Any idea whether these Immersion box sets are including the U.S. or the U.K. quad mixes?

The US Q8 quad releases of these albums weren't different mixes. But they were decodes of matrix encoded versions which is why with 1970s hardware matrix decoders they sounded so lack lustre.

The UK Q8 releases were from the 4 channel masters and that is what is on the Immersion box sets.

The US Q8 quad releases of these albums weren't different mixes. But they were decodes of matrix encoded versions which is why with 1970s hardware matrix decoders they sounded so lack lustre.

The UK Q8 releases were from the 4 channel masters and that is what is on the Immersion box sets.
Thanks. Super helpful. :)

I just tried to play the quad mix on the blu for the first time, having bought recently bought the box-set, but every time I select the quad mix and press play, it plays in stereo only. The 5.1 mix plays in m/c, as does the title page audio, but the quad mix is only coming through to my AVR as stereo. Is there a fault with the blu-ray discs and the quad mix?

I just tried to play the quad mix on the blu for the first time, having bought recently bought the box-set, but every time I select the quad mix and press play, it plays in stereo only. The 5.1 mix plays in m/c, as does the title page audio, but the quad mix is only coming through to my AVR as stereo. Is there a fault with the blu-ray discs and the quad mix?
I think this is one of the discs that my Sony ubp x800 won't play--i have to play it through my OPPO to hear the quad mix.

I think this is one of the discs that my Sony ubp x800 won't play--i have to play it through my OPPO to hear the quad mix.
Mmm, I am playing it through my OPPO, an OPPO-105D. I'll try the DVD and see how that goes. I might end up sending it back in any case as I alredy have the SACD and I only bought the box-set for the quad mix.

It's a Marantz NR-1510. The quad mix on the DVD won't play properly either - still only the front left and right channels that are coming through. I can play the quad mix on my Pioneer DV-600 so that's something. I can also play a quad DVD rip of DSOTM through my OPPO so which ever way you look at it, my OPPO isn't happy with the quad mixes of WYWH on the DVD and blu-ray discs in my box-set. Incidentally, I ended up listening to the 5.1 mix on the blu ray and there were a number of clicks/pops towards the end. I'm pretty sure those artifacts don't appear on my SACD so I'm not happy about that either.

It's getting late and I'm off to bed shortly so I'll leave further investigation/experimentation till tomorrow. If I can't get the quad mix to play through my OPPO tomorrow then the box-set is going back.

Multichannel Analogue out from the Oppo to Analogue In on the receiver could be a solution if your receiver has the capability. That is the work around as it appears your receiver has a chip that does not support 4.0. The Oppo is fine.

Multichannel Analogue out from the Oppo to Analogue In on the receiver could be a solution if your receiver has the capability. That is the work around as it appears your receiver has a chip that does not support 4.0. The Oppo is fine.

I ended up trying a few discs with 4.0 audio and all of them - SACDs and DVD-As - played perfectly. I don't have another blu-ray disc with 4.0 audio so I couldn't see if it's a blu-ray thing, but the upshot is, my OPPO-103D/Marantz NR-1510 combo seems fine with 4.0 over HDMI with the exception of the 4.0 audio contained on the DVD and blu-ray from this WYWH set.

It's a moot point now though as I've decided to send it back as there's unwanted click noises on the 5.1 version and that's just not good enough, even without the 4.0 playback issues. Besides, I've got WYWH on SACD so I'll still be able to enjoy the album in surround sound without losing my marbles about it :)

I ended up trying a few discs with 4.0 audio and all of them - SACDs and DVD-As - played perfectly.

To my knowledge, there are no SACDs that have straight 4.0 audio on the multichannel layer. The quadraphonic titles from reissue labels like Sony Japan or Dutton-Vocalion are actually presented in either 5.0 (empty center channel) or 5.1 (empty center & LFE channels), presumably to prevent these types of playback issues.

I know this post is specifically about the Blu-ray of WYWH, but does anyone have thoughts about the SACD version? It seems pretty reasonably priced for new. Just curious. Thanks!
SACD is very good and sonically superior to previous Redbook editions and of course the 5.1 is incredible.

Last edited:
This is one of the albums I have WAY too many versions of
garden variety cd
garden variety vinyl
reissue anniversary vinyl
SACD
Immersion Set

I like this music I guess rated the blu an 8 cause a 10 is perfect and its not
the Blu Quad Mix is my preferred listen for convenience
The reissue anniversary vinyl sounds the best

This is one of the albums I have WAY too many versions of
garden variety cd