HiRez Poll Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Pink Floyd - WISH YOU WERE HERE

• Total voters
"Wish You Were Here" has always been my favorite Pink Floyd album, ever since I heard my local FM station play the new release in it's entirety at midnight the day it was released. I rode my bike to the local record store after school, because I HAD to have it! I was really looking forward to hearing it in 5.1. I first listened to this after listening to Jakko's stellar mix of ELP's "Trilogy", and perhaps that is why I found the 5.1 mix of WYWH a bit underwhelming. I have listened to it twice since and am still underwhelmed. It sounds great, but as another person said, it sounds like "big stereo". That is a great description. Very little happens throughout "Shine on" as far as immersive 5.1 goes. The fun happens on "Welcome to the Machine"! Guthrie does a great job on that track, but returns to big stereo for the rest of the set, with the exception of the transition to the title track, which is also fun. Again, I think it sounds great, but I would have liked the surround mix to be a little more adventurous.

I'm amazed that anyone finds Jakko's Trilogy surround mix to be 'stellar'. To me it sounds like he's mixing on a really badly set up home studio.

But I find both WYWH surround mixes underwhelming too.

Speaking of immersion , the transfer of the original stereo mix of WYWH on the Immersion boxed set is excellent. For DR aficionados: it's got the best-looking waveform I've ever seen for this album ;)

It is my go-to (versus at least three other masterings I have).

Much to my surprise, this SACD is in stock at the Acoustic Sounds Store for $35, while it's going for more than $100 on Discogs and seems to be indeed sold out almost everywhere else.
Can't really decide which one they are offering, as on the one hand they mention CAPP 81034 SA as the Product Code (which Discogs says goes with the 2011 version) while they mention 190758103426 as the UPC (which Discogs associates with the 2018 version). As I understand that both versions are similiar, I ordered one straightaway!

Much to my surprise, this SACD is in stock at the Acoustic Sounds Store for $35, while it's going for more than $100 on Discogs and seems to be indeed sold out almost everywhere else.
Can't really decide which one they are offering, as on the one hand they mention CAPP 81034 SA as the Product Code (which Discogs says goes with the 2011 version) while they mention 190758103426 as the UPC (which Discogs associates with the 2018 version). As I understand that both versions are similiar, I ordered one straightaway!
Could some kind soul let us all know what the differences are between the two versions? :unsure:

Good find...
GREAT find, as I just finished hearing WYWH in 5.1 surround for the first time and it was awesome. DSOTM and Animals are slightly better IMO for different reasons, but it's like comparing racecars based on their paint jobs. We had this cranked. It was never harsh and there was tons of detail, little moments and parts unheard and buried in the stereo mix. This is going to see frequent replays. 10/10

Back