DVD/DTS Poll Pink - I'm Not Dead [DD DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DualDisc of Pink - I'm Not Dead

• Total voters
I'm not a massive Pink (or should that be P!nk?) fan. I mean, she's very cute and all my lesbian friends absolutely adore her, but musically, she's never really excited me too much. So why, I hear you ask, did I buy this album? Well, it was a 5.1 album that was being sold for £2.49! That's pretty much it. Also, I thought that maybe a 5.1 mix by Pink might help get the wife on board with this passion of mine, but this remains to be seen.

Anyway, this is a very listenable album with a decent 5.1 mix, albeit only in Dolby Digital, for which it loses a mark. Also, the fact that the non-conforming CD side doesn't actually register in some of my drives is a bit annoying.

But all in all, a worthwhile listen and if you can also find it at the price I did, it's a no brainer.

I'd give it 7.5 but halves aren't allowed, so I'll give her a sexist extra 0.5 for the gallery of pictures that accompany the tracks ;)

There's loads of other great Thom Cadley 5.1 mixes from back in the day out there
(ThomC is a QQ member)..

On SACD:
Vivian Green - A Love Story,
Dangerously In Love - Beyonce,
Survivor - Destiny's Child,
Incredible - Mary Mary,
Simply Deep - Kelly Rowland

On DualDisc:
Destiny Fulfilled - Destiny's Child.

If you fancy something poppy/R&B-y/contemporary-y in surround any of those should do the trick, some great surround stuff going on in all of them.

There's loads of other great Thom Cadley 5.1 mixes from back in the day out there
(ThomC is a QQ member)..

On SACD:
Vivian Green - A Love Story,
Dangerously In Love - Beyonce,
Survivor - Destiny's Child,
Incredible - Mary Mary,
Simply Deep - Kelly Rowland

On DualDisc:
Destiny Fulfilled - Destiny's Child.

If you fancy something poppy/R&B-y/contemporary-y in surround any of those should do the trick, some great surround stuff going on in all of them.

Thanks for the heads up :)

Fantastic 5.1 mix. Shame it was not Greatest Hits on DVD Audio!

This is another one of the inexpensive surround discs I've picked up lately that I never bought when it was first available. I really enjoy this disc. There is a lot of variety in the tunes and I enjoy them all. It's a great surround mix with some nice discrete action going on. Definitely worth the price you can get it for these days. I give it a 9.

You know, I finally pulled out my copy and listened to it. While the first few songs have great mixes I cant say this music really grabs me. The song I like the best is the unlisted bonus track of her singing a song with her dad that he wrote. Who knows it may grow on me...

You know, I finally pulled out my copy and listened to it. While the first few songs have great mixes I cant say this music really grabs me. The song I like the best is the unlisted bonus track of her singing a song with her dad that he wrote. Who knows it may grow on me...

Well, there is always that challenge. If only we could all universally enjoy every genre of music and every artist ever released in surround. What a treasure trove of titles we'd have at our disposal. But alas, we are victim's of our musical tastes. I've grown a bit more cautious about blindly ordering a disc based on rave reviews because too many times it arrives and is just not to my liking. So these days I usually have a listen to audio samples on Amazon before pulling the trigger on buying stuff. While I really appreciate the surround mixes on some titles and the fact that they were released in surround, if I don't like the music I'm ultimately not going to play it much.

Had a few minutes to myself and listened again. I have really gotten into P!nk sine this album came out. She is an extraordinary entertainer. This album showcases her many talents. I enjoyed this dualdisc as a reminder of why I began to listen to her in the first place. Lots of action in the speakers. Fills the room. Get it!

Recent contributions on QQ forum by Thom Cadley himself, the remixing engineer of P!nk's album I'm Not Dead in a multichannel presentation, had me reaching for it for yet another spin. What a treat! P!nk, an artist who keeps reinventing her sound from one album to the next, sadly had a single attempt at surround music for one of her studio albums. Such a shame, really, as it makes for one of the best listens one can get from some of today's pop music scene. The mix is adventurous, makes good use of the rear channels, and is a big step up from the stereo version. She has a lot more that could benefit from the same treatment.. Her recent album The Truth About Love instantly comes to mind.

Following her commercial breakthrough album Try This, and already lightyears ahead her first "cliché dance music" attempts at success, I'm Not Dead does not disappoint a bit. Like a good bottle of wine, everything about her had evolved since the last album: from her lyrics, her singing, her music and her "out-of-my-way..punk!" charismatic attitude. It's also a "constant" effort, with no let-down tracks that have me in one of my "Next!!!" moments. The bonus track I've Seen the Rain performed with her father, a song the war veteran wrote himself when in Vietnam, closes the album in a coda fashion, leaving the listener in reflection.

Content: 8.5
Mix: 9

Overall: 8.75 (rounded up to 9 for the poll)

If your palate can manage the bittersweet taste of pop music, then don't hesitate to add this one to your collection!

Let us know if you take the plunge!! I'm not usually fond of live performances, but when there's no other options to MCH... well, you know... :51banana:

According to AmazonUS, I should be in receipt of this BD~V tomorrow so I'll let you know. As with all the BD~V concerts, one can always turn off the video and just listen (intently) to the audio!

According to AmazonUS, I should be in receipt of this BD~V tomorrow so I'll let you know. As with all the BD~V concerts, one can always turn off the video and just listen (intently) to the audio!

Yeah, I know! :D It's the crowd cheering and the "live sound" itself that I find a little less appealing. When bands like Pink Floyd shut themselves in a studio for 6 months+, you know you're in for "perfection". But heck.. I got my "to buy" list for surround concerts growing and growing.. I'll have to give in sooner or later!

Please do tell how you like it!

Let us know if you take the plunge!! I'm not usually fond of live performances, but when there's no other options to MCH... well, you know... :51banana:

I played the PINK Truth About Love Tour Live In Melbourne tonight and it's a reference quality video extravaganza. Unfortunately, the audio (96/24 Dolby True HD) is not really discrete with of course the requisite audience response in the rear. The audio, however, is well balanced and compliments the frenetic cinematography capturing Pink's vibrant stage production which is excellent.

I think I got my $3.69 worth.......and more.

This disc is well-worth seeking out, even if you don't love pop.
Awesome mix. Musically? Eh... It's a'ight.
Very nice to have the hidden track with her dad. Very cool of her to perform for vets and nice dedication.
I can tell you it means a LOT when a performer comes to where you are in a war zone to try to uplift your spirits. That isn't always entirely possible, but it's wonderful that they try. Sometimes at no small risk to themselves.

If you find this, pick it up!

Just got this today, not sure if this was UK only but it's in PAL and playing on a PS3 is a no go unfortunately, ugh. Gotta get an Oppo I guess...

This is another one I already had on ordinary stereo CD (haven't listened to it for a while) after reading reviews on here about the DualDisc in 5.1 I decided I needed it, yea I have a serious surround addiction, but crikey I found it on ebay for an amazingly cheap £2.99, free postage, so it arrived this morning and straight into the Oppo it went, DVD side down, which it didn't seem to like much, the opening bit of advert video being stuttery, then the red cursor for choosing your options disappeared :( so I just pushed on play and then the Audio button and chose '2/2 Dolby Digital 5.1' and off we went and I'm really enjoying it, good surround stuff.
I just took out the disc and had a good look at it and it has a few scuffs on it which would probably account for the playback problems I've had, to be expected with a second hand item, it's a shame people don't treat these things as carefully as I do, they seem to use them as frisbees or something:mad: :mad:@: I've cleaned the disc and tried it in my Pioneer still stutters on the intro video but I had a cursor to choose the audio options, apart from that it plays through without further incident. So overall and for that price its OK.

Back