Dual Disc Pink - I'm Not Dead Dualdisc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

omega4

QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
This has just been released in the UK. The DVD side has the whole album in 5.1 "stereo!" It would appear that it's in DD only, and not in DVD-A, which is not a surprise as it's released by Sony BMG. So no split brain here. Sony won't put out DVD-A releases, and now they won't put out 5.1 SACD. What on earth is going on!!!!

At least Warners are producing splendid DVD-A non-Dualdisc releases - Donald Fagen "Morph the Cat." That has to be the way to go! Also cheap at £12.99 in the UK. If only Warner could take over Sony....(and then I woke up!!)

Every UK site lists this as 5.1

Sony/BMG's DualDisc website lists this as enhanced stereo. What a bunch of morons. I will purchase it tomorrow and report back for sure (for the US anyway).

Stopped by the FYE Store in Midtown NYC today (4-5-06) to browse.
The package indicates that the Dual Disc has a 5.1 & enhanced stereo version.

I gave it a listen on the sampler station. It did not sound too bad for today’s pop standards. FYE had a $3.00 rebate which put the cost below $12.00 for me so I picked one up to see how the 5.1 mix is.

On the way back to my office, I felt a bit embarrassed with the disc in hand as I walked past Radio City Music Hall with the marquee welcoming David Gilmour tonight!
Must remember to leave the disc in my desk tonight before seeing the show.

i bought the dual disc here in germany and its actually quite a decent surround mix in dd 5.1. the music is fun too, there is much worse around.

what i dont get at all, in germany they have a "limited edition" as well that consists of the regular cd and a bonus dvd that contains the video content from the dual disc but not the 5.1. mix and is actually more expensive

with confusing marketing like this, its no surprise they cant establish new formats...

Hi all,

Hope you like this one.
No many get done this days.
A question for those who have this.

As is normal in the music biz, different countries get different bonus tracks.
(Industry-wide practice that's decades old, no need to get into discussing this practice here.)
I mixed a couple other songs that were not on the U.S. release.
I was told they were for Europe, etc.
So, what are the bonus tracks, if there are any, on this one where you live?

in germany its "fingers", sort of "she bop 2006"
also "i have seen the rain", the song with her father is there as a hidden track including introduction

not included: "centerfold" which i have seen mentioned elsewhere

Big Stevie said:
in germany its "fingers", sort of "she bop 2006"
also "i have seen the rain", the song with her father is there as a hidden track including introduction

not included: "centerfold" which i have seen mentioned elsewhere
Lucky you.
I like that one better anyway.
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not over enthusiastic about dual discs, and I'd not heard of P!nk, but the promise of a 5.1 mix on the DVD side persuaded me to buy the disc.

5.1 mix by Thom Cadley assisted by Mark Rinaldi. Mastered by Mark Wilder.

Somewhat reminiscent of Indigo Girls. It's quite amusing watching the diaphragm on the sub on the first track. Overall I'm pleased with it. (y)

Just gave this a spin. Adventurous but uninspired surround mix. I applaud Pink for tackling a virtual cornucopia of styles, but the net result is the most generic musical sampler I have ever heard. This disc is a total yawn-fest if you ask me. On top of that, the fidelity sucks eggs. Avoid.

Bob Romano said:
Boy... Just goes to show ya... one man's crap is another man's treasure.:D
I wanted to like it. I was supremely disappointed. Pink treads no new ground and all this has been done much better before.

But of course, your mileage may vary...

Cai Campbell said:
Just gave this a spin. Adventurous but uninspired surround mix. I applaud Pink for tackling a virtual cornucopia of styles, but the net result is the most generic musical sampler I have ever heard. This disc is a total yawn-fest if you ask me. On top of that, the fidelity sucks eggs. Avoid.
Cai Campbell said:
I wanted to like it. I was supremely disappointed. Pink treads no new ground and all this has been done much better before.

But of course, your mileage may vary....
You might be suprised, but, I agree with most of your points.
Though I would describe the mix as "Surround Aggressive" as opposed to "adventurous".
Musically, this one is much like an athlete whom you like, but is in a slump.
She's trying too hard, leaving you nothing to cheer.
And leaving me "uninspired" to be "adventuous".
(Coupled with a rather poor multitrack recording and a very bad stereo mix that I had to somewhat match.)
OTOH
Hopefully Cai and I are in the minority here, and anyone else who buys this will like it as much as Bob did.

Hi there!
I'm just listening to the multichannel track on this, and I was pleasantly surprised how good DD can sound after I listened to the DD5.1 track of the new Ian Gillan DualDisc the other day! It's night and day, really!
I'm sure it would sound better still with a HiRez track, but even with DD this sounds pretty nifty.
Where the music is concerned so far there were some songs I really liked and some where so-so; but no real bummer (at least for my taste).
Best regards,
Oliver

ThomC said:
Hi all,

As is normal in the music biz, different countries get different bonus tracks.
(Industry-wide practice that's decades old, no need to get into discussing this practice here.)
I ?

actually, if u have some time to spare i would like to learn something about the reasoning for that practice which i never really understood so far

it makes sense to me that albums are remixed ore repackaged for different markets (like ace of base or la bouche for the us market to name some bands that wont have too many fans here ;)) )
but these bonus tracks? usually they are not even very good and never seemed "country specific" in any way to me...
(not talking about pink here but in general=

I got this for under $7 used and didn't think it was terrible--especially at that price. Granted I agree with the shortcomings previously mentioned but she is a different type of artist available in surround and has the potential to pull in more 5.1 fans...

I have this and it's not that bad, really.

I also have two spare copies if anyone wants to make me an offer? PM me :)

Finally picked up a new copy on Ebay for $8 including shipping, so will finally give this a listen when I get home from the holidays.

Back