Pioneer AVH-P7800DVD Into 3rd Gen 4Runner for DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timbre4

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
The previous $99 Kenwood AM/FM/CD player with iPod support, purchased when my son was driving this beast, had died suddenly and completely. This forced my hand (gave me permission actually!) to make a really nice change.

This is a quick recap of the recent install of Pioneer DVD-A player into my old 4Runner; had the dash apart for weeks so wasn't driving it much (work from home). Had to agonize about how to go about doing the center channel in this vehicle and psyche up for the massive amount of wiring to deal with between the head unit and hide-away unit! I bought a complete AVH-P7800 system off eBay several weeks earlier and decided what I would keep and use and then sell off the rest.

Once I decided on the 1 DIN space Alpine speaker, it started to come together. I knew the rear door speakers were small and cheap (4" dual cone); the RR one was already crackling so had to do something. The adaptors available and those speakers that can be made to fit made me nervous. The first speaker (LR) took a while because I was hesitant not move too fast and screw something up. So I had to break off and cut the adaptors I bought and simply decide I was going to drill holes as needed. So then the RR replacement went much quicker. With the install of Polk audio shallow 651S 6.5" coaxial speakers accomplished, I now had the system on it's feet.

I decided to use the included (50x6) amps built into the hide-away box and the sound was pretty decent. This was used to power the main speakers and a Sony XPlod amp (thanks for the recommendation- holland123) to drive a Pyle 12" truck box subwoofer behind driver's seat. Still learning how to store multiple EQ curves for DVD-A, FM or iPad jukebox and the remote control has proven to be very useful. It's really nice to get into the truck and have DVD-A playback, my iPad jukebox and FM radio again. The mast antenna had been broken off but the Kenwood HD radio still worked. I discovered that with a Y-adaptor fully restored FM by using the REAR antenna in the back window. Had no idea there were two antenna leads.

Rarely do I have any passengers so not in a rush to hide all the wires just yet. The rear speakers are too close to the floor, so I will re-visit in the spring with something better that is closer to ear level - maybe a pair in the very back - Stay tuned

7800open.JPG
Rear Old.JPG
Screen Up.JPG

7800dash.JPG
7800center.JPG
7800hide.JPG

7800cables.JPG
Clara.JPG
7800wires.JPG

Last edited:
The previous $99 Kenwood AM/FM/CD player with iPod support, purchased when my son was driving this beast, had died suddenly and completely. This forced my hand (gave me permission actually!) to make a really nice change.

This is a quick recap of the recent install of Pioneer DVD-A player into my old 4Runner; had the dash apart for weeks so wasn't driving it much (work from home). Had to agonize about how to go about doing the center channel in this vehicle and psyche up for the massive amount of wiring to deal with between the head unit and hide-away unit! I bought a complete AVH-P7800 system off eBay several weeks earlier and decided what I would keep and use and then sell off the rest.

Once I decided on the 1 DIN space Alpine speaker, it started to come together. I knew the rear door speakers were small and cheap (4" dual cone); the RR one was already crackling so had to do something. The adaptors available and those speakers that can be made to fit made me nervous. The first speaker (LR) took a while because I was hesitant not move too fast and screw something up. So I had to break off and cut the adaptors I bought and simply decide I was going to drill holes as needed. So then the RR replacement went much quicker. With the install of Polk audio shallow 651S 6.5" coaxial speakers accomplished, I now had the system on it's feet.

I decided to use the included (50x6) amps built into the hide-away box and the sound was pretty decent. This was used to power the main speakers and a Sony XPlod amp (thanks for the recommendation- holland123) to drive a Pyle 12" truck box subwoofer behind driver's seat. Still learning how to store multiple EQ curves for DVD-A, FM or iPad jukebox and the remote control has proven to be very useful. It's really nice to get into the truck and have DVD-A playback, my iPad jukebox and FM radio again. The mast antenna had been broken off but the Kenwood HD radio still worked. I discovered that with a Y-adaptor fully restored FM by using the REAR antenna in the back window. Had no idea there were two antenna leads.

Rarely I have any passengers so not in a rush to hide all the wires just yet. The rear speakers are too close to the floor for me, so I will re-visit in the spring with something better that is closer to ear level - maybe in the very back of the vehicle? - Stay tuned

View attachment 60568View attachment 60569View attachment 60570
View attachment 60571View attachment 60573View attachment 60574
View attachment 60577View attachment 60578View attachment 60579
Looks like your cat approves!

Back