Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its uncanny Gene, i was just recently looking at getting one of these Pioneer's to tide me over while i'm turntable-less.. i look forward to hearing your thoughts on setting it up and how it performs 👌 👍

And.....it's been shipped! Hopefully, it doesn't get tossed around via FedEx. :(
Hopefully no damage. But I'd expect the customary 1-2 days late via Fedex. They have to be the worst shipper of the big three. Tracking is typically a mess. Late packages. Lost packages. Lost packages that are found a week or two later. Scheduled deliveries that were canceled (sometimes claiming "at the request of the customer"). I've experienced all those things with Fedex. I've often wondered why businesses use them. It must be a cost thing.

Reactions: GOS
Hey gang - will this cart work on the PLX-1000? Any issues you see? I really don't want to spend more....give or take a few dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...1MEI1RPC/ref=psdc_11973981_t1_B00OQUJ1QO?th=1

1610480520766.png

WHAT??? you have not installed that BEAUTY YET????
SHAME ON YOU!!!!! (I know, I also "ignore" my new gear a few days before I finally install it! I have to do some MAJOR rearranging in my room and I keep putting it off cause of my back but that's another story!)

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!

WHAT??? you have not installed that BEAUTY YET????
SHAME ON YOU!!!!! (I know, I also "ignore" my new gear a few days before I finally install it! I have to do some MAJOR rearranging in my room and I keep putting it off cause of my back but that's another story!)

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!
The TT just shipped. And, it's coming from Florida......

Sure it will work. Any standard 1/2" mount cartridge will fit. But that AT is probably of lessor quality than the Ortofons you already have.
1/2 inch mount. Where in the description of all these carts, does it tell me this info? Or, in general, are you saying any cart that has that sort of boxy look....is a 1/2" mount?

It doesn't say, at least not on Amazon. But anything that has a mounting plate with those two hole cutouts is pretty much a 1/2" mount. Its the defacto standard. I'm not even sure if modern cartridges even have any other spacing standard. My guess would be, if they have a non-standard mount, they would certainly state that.

EDIT: it does state it when you buy it with headshell

VM540ML/H

Another rather NOOB question. Is a headshell, a headshell? Or, are some much better than others? Should I worry about the stock headshell that comes with the PLX-1000? Good enough?

Another rather NOOB question. Is a headshell, a headshell? Or, are some much better than others? Should I worry about the stock headshell that comes with the PLX-1000? Good enough?
It SHOULD be good enough. If it were a "cheapo" TT then, I would worry, but not with this Pioneer one...Some folks like to get a "high end" headshell but it would be up to you...

Reactions: GOS
It doesn't say, at least not on Amazon. But anything that has a mounting plate with those two hole cutouts is pretty much a 1/2" mount. Its the defacto standard. I'm not even sure if modern cartridges even have any other spacing standard. My guess would be, if they have a non-standard mount, they would certainly state that.

EDIT: it does state it when you buy it with headshell

VM540ML/H

might it be more plug and play for Gene's turntable when it comes pre-mounted on a headshell? possibly save him some setup hassle?

Back