Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Placed an order for this cartridge.

View attachment 61633
you're gonna regreeeeet iiiiit (not installing the OM30)...I mean , this looks incroyable BUT it is NOT a fine line stylus like the OM30...there is not a LOT of difference but the fine line stylus always sounded better than elliptical ones to me (of course I could be full of SHITE!!!! hahahahaha!!!)...you should at least A/B with both...

you're gonna regreeeeet iiiiit (not installing the OM30)...I mean , this looks incroyable BUT it is NOT a fine line stylus like the OM30...there is not a LOT of difference but the fine line stylus always sounded better than elliptical ones to me (of course I could be full of SHITE!!!! hahahahaha!!!)...you should at least A/B with both...
Of course I will A/B them! The Ortofon site says this one sounds better than the OM30. Of course they say that.......We'll see. Either way, I have 2 now......

And, just ordered this phono preamp.

1610579750082.png

Ya a fine line or shibata tip is a lot nicer, a better headshell upgrade will get you the very least of any in the upgrade department, on the other hand decent inter connect cables from the preamp to your power amp source will get you a good amount of improvement as the ones supplied will be very poor at best. Once your up and running try borrowing some if you can, taking some good ones for a test spin
can be an eye opener. You don't need $1000 cables but good $50 or plus ones really do produce good gains.

$2 chinese interconnects are a real bottle neck in the chain.

Ya a fine line or shibata tip is a lot nicer, a better headshell upgrade will get you the very least of any in the upgrade department, on the other hand decent inter connect cables from the preamp to your power amp source will get you a good amount of improvement as the ones supplied will be very poor at best. Once your up and running try borrowing some if you can, taking some good ones for a test spin
can be an eye opener. You don't need $1000 cables but good $50 or plus ones really do produce good gains.

I like these - BJC LC-1
https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/audioprices.htm

I'm sticking with my Sumiko Blackbird and Blue Point-2's. I have a couple of AT-150MLX's that I'm partial to as well, but their styli are seriously fragile. (Too many turntables turns out to be just about right...lol...)

My only hesitancy with these Ortyfoniums is their lackluster separation stats. That's a pretty big chunk of the imaging capability after all. So when you get the "2M Blue" installed I look forward to reading your impressions of it...

I'm sticking with my Sumiko Blackbird and Blue Point-2's. I have a couple of AT-150MLX's that I'm partial to as well, but their styli are seriously fragile. (Too many turntables turns out to be just about right...lol...)

My only hesitancy with these Ortyfoniums is their lackluster separation stats. That's a pretty big chunk of the imaging capability after all. So when you get the "2M Blue" installed I look forward to reading your impressions of it...
Aren’t those Blackbirds a cool “Grover Cleveland” - they better sound nifty! LOL

Gos the Ortofon cartiridges are deep/tall. You may need to raise the height of the tonearm mount with a spacer so that you can keep it level with the record and properly adjust it

I never thought about better quality RCA's. I'll certainly look into that.

Yes, I'll be listening the the seperation. That's important to me too. On the other hand, I've spent my whole career looking at data & statistics...and for sure how folks report these numbers isn't always a fair comparison.

cable lengths.

Always been told that RCA cable length between TT and AVR should be no more than 3 feet. So, what is the rules when you have a phono preamp in the middle?

So now I will have 2 connections.

1. TT to preamp (maximum length for this?)
2. Preamp to AVR (maximum length for this?)

Thanks!

Yes, I'll be listening the the seperation. That's important to me too. On the other hand, I've spent my whole career looking at data & statistics...and for sure how folks report these numbers isn't always a fair comparison.
AT and Sumiko both are by widely held reputation sticklers for "truth in advertising". That doesn't mean that Ortofon's lackadaisical approach to the reportage means they're bad, I want to say they're sort of mid 25-ish dB territory, maybe a little better once you hit the "Black". In the end, if you're happy with it, let the good times roll. A good test LP (or five or six, the Shures are worth seeking out) can help as do the aforementioned better RCA's.

FedEx came through. 1 day from Tampa to here. And, it was in perfect shape. My Ortofon 2M Blue arrives tomorrow, and then we'll see how long Acoustic Sounds takes to get the Parasound preamp out the door. They say it's being boxed up now. Little chance I'll see it this weekend, I'd think. Though, Salina Kansas isn't so far. And, FedEx also, so in theory, if they get it shipped tomorrow, I could see it Saturday.

It always helps if the sender ships things in original packaging. It looks great.

Cats are the funniest people!

Doug

Reactions: GOS
Back