Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lowest cable capacitance I've ever run across is the Blue Jeans Cable BJC LC-1 at 12 pF/ft (per foot of cable length). That's considered extremely low. They are a bit pricey though. In the teens and twenties is considered low. The Mogami cable I mentioned in my earlier comment (the one I actually received) measures in at 23 pF/ft; a bit higher than claimed (variance in materials, my meter, who knows). I've measured various other cables as high as 90+ pF/ft. Remember, If a cable's capacitance is quoted for the TOTAL length of the cable, you will need to divide that number by the length of the cable to get the per foot/meter measurement. Now, all of this "low capacitance stuff" is based on generally accepted knowledge. Whether you personally will hear any difference one way or another is going to be your call. Our ears are the weak link in all of this! In my case, I can't honestly say I hear a difference between a high or low capacitance cable; I've tried both. I just prefer to do things "right" (within reason of course)! Like many things in this hobby, opinions and knowledge will vary greatly.
Thanks for putting it into context.

I’m wondering with your new rig, if a re-rip of Equinox may be in order?

So, here's the deal. I took my time, got it all set up right. Right off the bat, I put on Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. Not to be dramatic, but holy shit. I promise you, this system, as is, BLOWS my previous one clean off the map. I swear, I went and got my wife and made her listen. So, what's different?

1. Separation across speakers
2. Fidelity
3. The upper end fidelity is off the charts compared to what I'm used to. (that's why I chose Piper, cause it has all kinds of stuff going on)
4. Silence between tracks
5. I can put it on my glass shelf, and it doesn't rumble!!!!!

Sorry Kap - I'm not going to do a A/B vs my OM30. Too much of a pain in the ass to change all the settings as they are very different carts. All I know is, this current setup totally blows my previous one away. Hands down, no contest.

So - when I get my preamp, if I can't tell any difference using that, vs my AVR phono inputs.....I'll simply return it.

Reactions: GOS
Yeah.....well....I need to figure out how to rip vinyl without a USB turntable.
Go get ‘em Cowboy :D

A0E9219E-617C-463D-889F-55F9540DD52F.gif

Reactions: GOS
I guess in all my yaking about low capacitance, I forgot to mention why it is "supposedly" important; especially with TTs. The theory goes something like this; A cable with low capacitance has less of a negative effect on higher frequency signals. The cable actually acts like a capacitor and higher frequencies are more suseptable to being "absorbed" by the cable, rather making it to their destination. I think this becomes even more critical with quad signals since the rear 2 channels are deliverd on a carrier frequency in the range of 30,000-50,000 Hz. That's the general idea anyway. Maybe someone else here can explain it better or more accurately.

I guess in all my yaking about low capacitance, I forgot to mention why it is "supposedly" important; especially with TTs. The theory goes something like this; A cable with low capacitance has less of a negative effect on higher frequency signals. The cable actually acts like a capacitor and higher frequencies are more suseptable to being "absorbed" by the cable, rather making it to their destination. I think this becomes even more critical with quad signals since the rear 2 channels are deliverd on a carrier frequency in the range of 30,000-50,000 Hz. That's the general idea anyway. Maybe someone else here can explain it better or more accurately.

It's just basic ac theory.
Any cable can be reduced to a simple circuit having resistive, capacitive and inductive elements.
When operating at ac the Impedance (Z) of a circuit is given by :
Z = √(Rsq + (XL - XC)sq)
which is inversely proportional to frequency (ƒ) due to the circuit's capacitance since -
Capacitance Reactance (XC ) is given by :
XC = 1/2πƒC
and directly proportional to frequency (ƒ) due to the circuit's inductance since -
Inductive Reactance (XL ) is given by :
XL = 2πƒL

Back