Pioneer QD-210 SQ decoder testing

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decoder Man

There are at least a couple of websites dicussing and even showing test results of various models of SQ decoders. I believe it to be common knowledge, the Tate 101A is the best with the Lafayette SQ-W comming in a strong second. What I have not found is any meaningful discussions or test results, comparing the QD-210 to the Tate and Lafayette models. Can anyone enlighten me or refer me to where I may find such information?

There are at least a couple of websites dicussing and even showing test results of various models of SQ decoders. I believe it to be common knowledge, the Tate 101A is the best with the Lafayette SQ-W comming in a strong second. What I have not found is any meaningful discussions or test results, comparing the QD-210 to the Tate and Lafayette models. Can anyone enlighten me or refer me to where I may find such information?

I am not surprised that they wouldn't test the QD-210. It is widely considered to be one of the worst SQ decoders out there, and a comparison with a Tate or even an SQ-W would be an insult to both of them.

Having said that, I have seen some ridiculous bids on eBay lately for these turkeys, so collectors must want them for some reason ... they can't be quaddies. If you are looking for an SQ decoder, look elsewhere ... even a lowly Sony SQD-1000 would do no worse than a Pioneer. Mike.

I use a Lafayette SQ-W. I was just curious because, as you said, Ebay has had some ridiculous prices. As an example. There is a seller in Canada who is selling new old stock for a former store owner. He is asking $161.00USD. This is far too much. I contacted him and was surprised to find that he believes, because it is brand new and old, it is valuable,regardless of how it performs.

I am not surprised that they wouldn't test the QD-210. It is widely considered to be one of the worst SQ decoders out there, and a comparison with a Tate or even an SQ-W would be an insult to both of them.

Having said that, I have seen some ridiculous bids on eBay lately for these turkeys, so collectors must want them for some reason ... they can't be quaddies. If you are looking for an SQ decoder, look elsewhere ... even a lowly Sony SQD-1000 would do no worse than a Pioneer. Mike.

Right you are, Mike. I bought one of these barkers new in the '70s. After laboring using only no-logic decoders for a few years, I was really expecting great things from a front back logic decoder. I was impressed alright. Instead of 3 db of sep, this thing had 8! And the logic was so slow it took a couple seconds to pump down the rears, which was really the only effect noticable, a reduction of rear volume. Awesome.
I went back to the sony no-logic decoder after that until I got a Kenwood receiver with full logic, also a pretty lousy decoder, by the way. Then the Audionics Tate! Relief at last.
Marc

It was initially listed for $1200
What? For half the original asking price & little more than the current asking price you can get a superlative SM v2. I do not shill or pimp for involve. But really times have come around where you no longer need to rely on vintage for best possible sound. Door stop.

Front-back logic was horrible. It took out the one thing I wanted to hear: concert hall ambience.

I just bought one in an eBay auction for a whopping $0.99! I figured that the case alone is worth the shipping cost!

Looking at the schematic, which is oddly is labeled as a CD-4 Demodulator, it appears to be a basic decoder with vari-blend across the front and back. That makes it similar to the Sony SQD 1000.

I actually like the sound of the Sony 1000, it has no pumping logic action, so will see how this one compares. Not that I need any more decoders but vintage quad equipement is an addiction!

Last edited:
Here are pictures of the decoder. I did a bit more listening as well. Listening to the back channels only you notice a reduction in separation when playing an SQ recording but on stereo it is not all that noticeable. One other side effect is that bass is reduced when the channels blend. Blending only the mid and high frequencies would have been a better way to do it. The Sony SQD-1000 works in a similar manner but seems to produce less side effects. I think that the Sony blends both front and rear (but rear more) when a centre signal (vocal) is present.
Is it a great decoder? No, but a piece of history yes. The Quality of construction with the 100% shielding is amazing! Overkill!

Pioneer SQ Front.JPG
Pioneer SQ top.JPG
Pioneer SQ power.JPG
Pioneer SQ board.JPG
Pioneer SQ back.JPG

Back