Pioneer QD 210 SQ decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Alan Rutlidge

Anyone know anything about this decoder? I guess it's one of the earlier non-logic models? Any useful information will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Alan

I had one of these briefly. It was my first logic decoder. I actually preferred basic to this unit. The gain riding effect was so pronounced adn so slow that it was more distracting than anything. It is a half logic or front back logic decoder. Generally speaking, stay away from Pioneer decoders. As a rule they are alot worse than other similar units. The receivers etc are fine, but their decoding capabilities are really subpar.

I have had the same experience with Pioneer SQ decoders. I would play them for friends who didn't really understand quad and they would look around wondering what they were supposed to hear. A basic Sony unit would be better in my opinion, even an SQD-1000. Before I got my Tate, I used an SQD-2010 for many years and I like it a lot as well. If you can find one of them, or a 2020 that is likely the best bang for the buck out there ... Lafayette SQ-W notwithstanding, but they are quite rare ... almost never seen here in Canada. I also had a Radio Shack SQ-II that I sold on eBay for about $20 and it was very good as well ... certainly for the money they usually sell for. Good luck, Mike.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm somewhat glad I didn't buy it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a Sony or a Tate (living in hope) hehehe.

Cheers,
Alan

Back