Pioneer QM-800

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dennisnate

Anyone have any dope on this unit? There's a rusty hulk of one listed: ebay #1940177708.

All I can find out about the QM-800 is that it is a Quad (4 channel) power amplifier only (doesn't have any decoders built in) made between the years of 1974-1976 at an original cost of $300.

Judging by the absoultely appaling state it's in, probably best avoided !!!

I don't know about that Dave. Bill Jahn bought it and thats a name I've seen on several audio websites and who sold me a very nice 4270 at a very reasonable price.

For clarification, I believe the QM-800 is a 2 channel add-on quad adaptor type amp. It would have the power amps for the two rear channels and some early *modest* decoding or matrix synthesis.

The master volume and 4 VU meters serve to tie it all together (in theory at least) in one component.

It would be similar to a Marantz 2440 in design & functions.

timbre4

Database mentions there are 4 VU meters on the unit. Wouldn't that indicate 4 amplified output channels?

Also, mention of a 800 and 800A series. Unsure of difference, if any, between the two.

Personally.... I'd just go with two el cheapo 2 channel modern new units. The stuff on sale is cheap. Decent specs. 100 watts per channel doesn't cost nearly as much as it did 25 years ago!!!!!!!

"Database mentions there are 4 VU meters on the unit. Wouldn't that indicate 4 amplified output channels?"

No, not at all; consider that (just like the Marantz 2440 & similar units) the front channel signals are being passed to the unit and returned via the tape monitor circuit interrupts. The output viewed as front VU meters is merely line level.

The front channels are are brought in for decoding (if any) and to utilize a master volume function, otherwise not possible.

timbre4

There's another one of these babies on ebay for sale with clear photo front and rear.

Vintage Qm-800 Quadraphonic Power Amplifier Item # 1943407450

There's definately no tape loop returns here, just 2 sets of 4 RCA jacks labelled "INPUT" which can be selected from the rear panel. Only outputs are high-level speaker outputs via those oddball pioneer jacks.

So it genuinely is a simple 4 channel power amplfier!
Actually, at a fairly reasonable price too - this one's in nice nick, boxed, too.

Well, I bought it. Only fair that I started this thread with an inquiry and end it with a purchase. Couldn't resist those blue VUs. Will post specs/impressions. Pioneer built very few power amps of any sort;should be interesting.

My mistake! There's another unit I was thinking of that was the add-on component, something like QD-240 or similar.

Anybody? Beueller? .....Beuller?.......

[link]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1944430735[link]

This is the component I was thinking of, it's a QL-600A. (add-on amp with 2 channel amp and FOUR meters)

Beuller

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Anybody? Beueller? .....Beuller?....... [/quote]

Oh! Now I think I get the pun ! As in Ferris!
Very cleaver! Doh! - was that what you meant besides the name !?
Rob

WELL THIS ONE WAS INDEED A 4 CHANNEL PWR AMP ONLY. IT WAS RATED AT 30 WATTS X 4 INTO 8 OHMS ALL CH. DRIVEN AND AT .5 THD.FREQ.RESPONSE FROM 8 -60KHZ+/-.5DB. PWR BANDWIDTH 5-60KHZ. NICE AMP,LOOKS GOOD WITH MATCHING PREAMP QC-800A,ONLY DOWNSIDE STILL HAD GOOFY SPEAKER CONNECTORS PIONEER/AKAI WERE( IN)FAMOUS FOR IN THAT ERA!

Back