Pioneer QP-434 Quad 8 Deck Info Wanted

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Circular Vibes

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
I won this Quad 8 deck on Yahoo Japan Auctions this morning with the kooky plans to incorporate it into my elecric assist tricycle. What I do not know is if I am going to need a quad radio as well, or maybe a power amplifier. There seems to be no info online for this model. I do not even know if it works yet. For 1000 yen plus shipping, I was willing to take a chance. Looking at what wiring I see, it almost appears as if I need to hook up the antenna to the quad 8 deck and the front channels to the radio and the rears to a power amp or directly to speakers. I was kinda hoping for an all in one unit for simplicity. Does anyone out there have any info on this model or wiring info? If I need a radio as well, will any model work or at least maybe one with cassette if I need to go that route? Kooky I know, but if I were normal, er, I better not finish that thought.:p Also, if I need parts, especially the missing balance knob, any suggestions?
Pioneer QP-434-1.jpg
Pioneer QP-434-2.jpg
Pioneer QP-434-3.jpg
Pioneer QP-434-4.jpg
Pioneer QP-434-5.jpg

I have a QP-400 with a FM tuner. That model is Q8 only as it does not have a round hole for the antenna connection for a tuner or two for pass thru

It's exactly the same as a QP-424. Pretty powerful little unit for it's time.... 'bout 5 watts per channel through 4 ohms. I had one in my Javelin and liked it.
Don't know how or why you'd need to run it through a radio?

There's two sets of green wires and two sets of grey wires. The solid colors are Front Left and Front Right. The ones with the red stripe are Back Left and Back Right.

Thanks Q-Eight. 5 watts are all I really need in this case. I assumed there should have been more wires therefore that a radio was maybe needed. There is also the red wire with the white plastic thing that kinda looked like something to do with an antenna. I haven't looked at a car stereo of any kind since 1985 or so. I thought there should have been many more wires. On a second look, it seems that maybe some wires were taped up and not used. Perhaps the previous user had it wired for stereo. What a waste unless it had need of repairs. So I guess it is time to keep an eye out for an 8 track to radio converter cartridge.

There is also the red wire with the white plastic thing that kinda looked like something to do with an antenna.
Surely that's the 12v supply wire with part of a broken in-line fuse holder?
Looks as though its had a very rough life (or rather, death!)

Thanks Soundfield, that clears another mystery up for me. I can deal with making up a fuse holder once I know the required fuse to use. It does look kinda rough but if it didn't, I might be afraid to use it the way I want to. This way another quad piece of gear will likely survive and be enjoyed.

I've had one in my AMC Javelin for quite a few years. It's a good little deck. The slide mount provided hours of entertainment, too. ("Here, Hold my tape deck!") :LOL:
It developed speed issues though, went to Barry's for repair and his solution was a to machine a tight-fit ring that went around the flywheel to increase it's diameter and slow down playback as there's no adjustment on the motor. Well, after a while, it began to play way too slow, so I removed that ring, put on a fresh belt and it's played fine ever since!

Attachments

• More Monday 008.JPG
    More Monday 008.JPG
    859.6 KB · Views: 96
Back