PIONEER QX-949 V/S QX-949A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

JAZZIQUAD

Hello everyone:

Do someone know the differences between these two models?
What does mean full logic decoders?

THANKS

JAZZIQUAD

I have had both. The 949A adds "logic" to the SQ board, but it is THE WORST decoder I have ever heard. I prefer the non A unit's decoder...which is almost non functional to begin with. However, almost ever "non A" I have heard has had a noisy channel somewhere in the line up. The 2 "A" unit I have are very quiet. I don't know if they changed the design or what....

The Pioneer receivers weren't very good in the decoding department. Imagine my surprise when I went from a Pioneer decoder to a Tate!

The Quadfather

HI,
Thanks for all the advices. I´m just starting on qud equipment, and I thought that my QX-949 was one of the coolest units, and now I´m finding out in the web that it isn't so. Oh! How I miss the QRX-8001 that my family loose before I was interested in these beauties!!!

THANKS AND HAPPY QUADING!

Quadfather: Thanks for the "fource" it's cool!

JAZZIQUAD

Other than the SQ decoder, it's a fine unit. But if you are going to use one, I suggest you go with external decoding. On my QX4000 that I started with, I couldn't hardly hear any separation, but the sound was good. The QX949 has a pretty good CD-4 demodulator as far as I know.

The Quadfather

Back