• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pioneer QX-949A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LB-V

500 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I bought two vintage pieces of gear...one was a QSD-1, the other a Marantz 4140. The QSD-1 was like new, in excellent condition. I also bought a Marantz 4140, also in excellent condition. Both quite remarkable. The QSD-1 had been bought by the seller new in the late 70's...it came with box, etc.. The Marantz he had picked up along the way, becoming the second owner. Anyway, bought both pieces at different times, for a fair value, the QSD-1 at a very fair price. Now, fair to me may not be fair to others...I tend to buy exactly what I want and do not mind paying perhaps a premium to that end. Anyway, the seller's name is Carmine and he sold me some very nice units, well cared for and they were exactly as advertised and even better.

Carmine contacted me a while back and gave me first shot at his prized QX-949A. I passed....working on some Involve items, and perhaps a Wurly Scope. He listed it on eBay but it did not sell. He contacted me again yesterday. He said he will post it again on eBay on Sunday, but would like to provide the QQ an opportunity prior to that (I had told Carmine about the QQ). I can say that what Carmine sold me was top of the line. He cared very much about the units and it showed. If interested, PM me and I will provide you Carmine's email address to start the conversation. Below is the description from his first eBay ad and some pics.

Reluctantly, I have decided it is time to sell my cherished Pioneer QX-949A that I purchased new in 1976. Over time I have gravitated towards separate components and as a result this receiver has been relegated to storage in climate controlled storage for the better part of the last 30 years in it's original box. I have recently tested it and found that it operated properly in both 2 and 4 channel modes.

All lights including the ones on the scope work as well. It looks absolutely beautiful. Any potential new owner would be hard pressed to find anything more than very minor cosmetic flaws.

Even though those are accurate statements I would advise the successful buyer to have it cleaned and lubricated by a qualified technician familiar with servicing vintage Pioneer equipment. As you can see via the attached photos, it has only been serviced once in its lifetime and it was so long ago I don't remember what it went in for. Suffice to say it was nothing major.

This QX-949A will include the original:
* Pioneer Box with original cushioned side braces
* Operating Instructions
* Service Manual which I purchased separately. Has some writing on the cover
* Schematic Diagram
* CD-4 Test Record
* Rare foldout full color Pioneer advertising brochure for the QX-949, QX-747 & QX-646 models
* List of Authorized US Pioneer Service Stations in the USA at the time

* Copy of a Stereo Review test report of the QX-949 from May 1974. Not great quality but very readable

This is a rare opportunity to own an exemplary example of an exemplary piece of US Pioneer equipment which was the flagship and most advanced of all their quadraphonic offerings. It also works well as a traditional stereo receiver as well that has more inputs/outputs than most receivers and pre-amps. I have used it in both modes and in the quad version as I have a fair number of SQ and CD-4 records. For Sansui QS source material I used a Sansui QSD-1 decoder/synthesizer which I sold several months ago. Although Pioneer advertised it at 60 watts RMS per channel in stereo, the included Stereo Review test report revealed that it tested out at a respectable 72 watts per channel RMS in stereo mode. The Pioneer QX-949A was clearly one of the most versatile pieces of high fidelity equipment offered by any manufacturer.

FYI the QX-949A offered two obvious changes over the original QX-949.
1. First the SQ decoder on the QX-949 was replaced by a more advanced "full logic" SQ decoder on the QX-949A. The upgraded decoder offered better separation between the channels both from side to side and front to back on SQ source material.
2. Second the heat vent towards the back of the receiver cabinet was expanded all the way to the back end. The advantage of that obviously is better heat dissipation. I'm confident that Pioneer made some other changes inside the unit as well.

QX949A-12.jpgQX949A-9.jpgQX949A-8.jpgQX949A-10jpg.jpgQX949A-7.jpgQX949-11.jpgQX949A-6.jpgQX949A-1.jpgQX-949A-5.jpgQX949-2.jpg

I was sent to this thread trying to figure out what decoder might have been in Panasonic's sister brand the Technics flagship SA-8500X. Did they use the same parts and would this be full logic by chance?

Attachments

• PXL_20240217_203313405.jpg
    PXL_20240217_203313405.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I was sent to this thread trying to figure out what decoder might have been in Panasonic's sister brand the Technics flagship SA-8500X. Did they use the same parts and would this be full logic by chance?
This thread was about Pioneer not Panasonic. I looked at the Owners and the Service Manuals found on HiFiEngine, and it appears that the Technics SA-8500X unit has a very basic RM decoder. It has a second matrix position but no actual mention of SQ.

Technics/Panasonic was a big CD-4 supporter. I don't think that they put much effort into matrix decoding.

This thread was about Pioneer not Panasonic. I looked at the Owners and the Service Manuals found on HiFiEngine, and it appears that the Technics SA-8500X unit has a very basic RM decoder. It has a second matrix position but no actual mention of SQ.

Technics/Panasonic was a big CD-4 supporter. I don't think that they put much effort into matrix decoding.
Hasn't this all been said before in another thread not too long ago? It's no advantage for @DudeRocks to post similar posts about the same subject? That has already been answered.
One should know the difference between Panasonic and Pioneer.

Last edited:
Hasn't this all been said before in another thread not too long ago? It's no advantage for @DudeRocks to post similar posts about the same subject? That has already been answered.
One should know the difference between Panasonic and Pioneer.
One does not always know. That's why we come here for answers. I was actually sent here by the Facebook q8 forum because they were discussing a 949A and SA 8500X and I happen to have one so I want to know how they were similar and why the argument was going on about this on the Facebook forum. I couldn't find an answer and this most likely why is because they are actually not the same company. People were confusing pioneer with Panasonic. Also, one of the members here put a link to ask this here because they too were confused pioneer/Panasonic, so I was specifically directed to post my question in this thread by one of the other members. I can screenshot it if you like, was it you? My bad for spreading the joy and dealing with trying to learn from old quad heads who don't computer.

Last edited:
One does not always know. That's why we come here for answers. I was actually sent here by the Facebook q8 forum because they were discussing a 949A and SA 8500X and I happen to have one so I want to know how they were similar and why the argument was going on about this on the Facebook forum. I couldn't find an answer and this most likely why is because they are actually not the same company. People were confusing pioneer with Panasonic. Also, one of the members here put a link to ask this here because they too were confused pioneer/Panasonic, so I was specifically directed to post my question in this thread by one of the other members. I can screenshot it if you like, was it you? My bad for spreading the joy and dealing with trying to learn from old quad heads who don't computer.
I have a BSEE degree, and one thing it taught me is that I don’t (and can’t) know everything. Yes, there are a lot of things I DO know, and I’ve used that knowledge during my career to benefit me, my employers and their customers, but it doesn’t surprise me that people can confuse Pioneer and Panasonic. I’ve confused all sorts of illogical combinations in my life. Hell, I’ve even used an old girlfriend’s name with a current girlfriend. The consequences were minor, but lasting.

No need to apologize for seeking understanding. There are no prerequisites for this forum.

Back