Pioneer SC-95 & ATMOS with strange issue ??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blitztorte

Hello QQ. If this question is too techy or in the wrong forum then feel free to move or delete it. I am looking for any feedback from fellow Pioneer owners.

I have a Pioneer SC-95 and a 5.1.4 speaker arrangement. The Pioneer has the Speaker System selected = “7.2.4 SB Pre out”.

I have never been satisfied with the ATMOS performance of my setup. I don’t know if it is my room or speaker placement or a technical issue or what. Wiring all seems fine. But thought I would run some test tones to check out the system. I first started with 5.1 tones and everything was coming out of the appropriate speakers. Then I used a Dolby ATMOS DEMO Disc 2016 and selected the 5.1.4 ATMOS test tones.
I first ran the sweep with the Pioneer in “Auto Surround” mode. (The display showed Dolby Atmos)
All the test tones came out of the expected speakers including the 4 ceiling speakers) except:
The Left Rear tone came out of both the Left Main and Left Rear speakers
The Right Rear tone came out of both the Right Main and Right Rear speakers

I am not sure if the issue is with the ATMOS test disc?

I then put the Pioneer in “Optimum Surround” mode and reran the tones sweep. (The display showed Optimum)
Left, Right, Center, SW tones and associated speaker playback were ok. Then it gets really weird.
Left Rear and Right Rear tones both came out of the Left Rear and Right Rear speakers.
Left Front Ceiling and Right Front Ceiling tones came out of the Left Main and Right Main speakers.
Left Rear Ceiling and Right Rear Ceiling tones came out of the Left Rear and Right Rear speakers.

Not sure if I described the issue well enough or if anyone has an idea on what could be happening of if there even is an issue. But appreciate any feedback.

Thank you!

Thanks for the response. Direct and Pure Direct respond the same as Auto Surround mode as listed above. In Auto Surround/Direct/Pure Direct modes I do see Dolby Atmos listed in the display when playing the demo disc. Do you recall where this ‘Legacy’ setting is?

Thanks for the response. Direct and Pure Direct respond the same as Auto Surround mode as listed above. In Auto Surround/Direct/Pure Direct modes I do see Dolby Atmos listed in the display when playing the demo disc. Do you recall where this ‘Legacy’ setting is?

it's hard to find

in my app I use as a remote it's under listening mode and there are a string of dots in the upper right corner, press those dots and you get a drop down of object / legacy

you must select object or atmos will not play back correctly

Thanks for the info. I located that setting in the app and the listening modes were already set to Object. I tried another tone generator program and it was acting a bit weird also so maybe I have an issue with the Pioneer.

Last edited:
Back