Play QS sound source with handmade QS/SQ three Band Full Logic Quadraphonic Decoder

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's been making these hugely complicated decoders for years. They are all based on large numbers of op amps but as I find his circuit diagrams very difficult to follow I've never really been able to fathom how his various logic and steering mechanisms work. I don't know if he's ever demonstrated any of them to anyone so I've no idea how they actually sound - would love to hear some of them in action though!

He's been making these hugely complicated decoders for years. They are all based on large numbers of op amps but as I find his circuit diagrams very difficult to follow I've never really been able to fathom how his various logic and steering mechanisms work. I don't know if he's ever demonstrated any of them to anyone so I've no idea how they actually sound - would love to hear some of them in action though!

HAHA etc. Per wiki:

National Kid (Japanese: ナショナルキッド Hepburn: Nashonaru Kiddo) is a Japanese TV series produced by Toei Company[3] in 1960. Broadcast on NET, it was sponsored by Panasonic, then known as Matsushita Electric, to promote the National brand. Although not very famous in Japan, the series has obtained cult status in Brazil, where it was very popular.

Reading the text that goes to the video, he says display on left shows SQ decoding & the right one shows QS decoding. That means for what ever 2 ch source it's plugged into it is simultaneously decoding SQ & QS. I don't think that has ever been done before.

I think Onkyo was supposed to have a receiver that detected "which quad system " was playing . This was a mid 70's device , touted as one could stack any type quad lp and play them through as the unit would detect what quad was what. (or so it would seem).

I think Onkyo was supposed to have a receiver that detected "which quad system " was playing . This was a mid 70's device , touted as one could stack any type quad lp and play them through as the unit would detect what quad was what. (or so it would seem).
My memory is there was a reciever that would automatically switch over to CD-4 when appropriate and otherwise play whatever matrix decode was selected.

My memory is there was a reciever that would automatically switch over to CD-4 when appropriate and otherwise play whatever matrix decode was selected.
Yes, I think there were a couple of those - I think the logic was that you could stack your stereo and CD-4 LPs on an autochanger (shock, horror!) and the system who switch to quad playback whenever the 30KHz carrier was detected. It would have taken some very, very sophisticated analysis to determined what system a matrix record had been encoded with however!!

National Kid's decoder above seems to be decoding the input in both SQ and SQ simultaneously in parallel decoding chains- what on earth the point of that would be I cannot fathom.

Last edited:
I think the point of National Kid's setup is to visually determine which method a recording is encoded in without having to A-B test or guess by ear. Some early records didn't have the encoder marked on the disc or jacket, others were possibly incorrectly marked (think Japanese DSOTM) and in Japan there were other proprietary formats that claimed to be conforming to RM but maybe weren't. If one of his models like that was offered to me, I'd be a fool to say no. Besides, the lights are cool. Bling times 4?

I think the point of National Kid's setup is to visually determine which method a recording is encoded in without having to A-B test or guess by ear.
Maybe, but I'm not sure how you could come to any conclusion - If you look at the display in the YouTube clip can you tell whether the source is QS or SQ? - I certainly can't (and he's already told us its QS)!!
What is rather strange is that the two displays don't lend themselves to comparision anyway since they are different (he says SQ on the left and QS on the right) - the SQ display will always look 'better' as its got more pretty LEDs!
Capture.JPG

not sure why that would be or what purpose they really serve (you are right though - they look cool!)

Thank you for your interest. This decoder performs full logic decoding of QS and SQ simultaneously. The display on the panel shows the sound source direction detection result in those (direction emphasis) full logic processing.

Next is the matter of discrimination between stereo, QS and SQ.
I determine whether the sound source is stereo, QS or SQ based on the panel display, Lissajous waveform, and playback sound.
Sound sources that have a small number of instruments and do not sound at the same time can be identified by the panel display alone. However, if the rear channel is a sound source with only reverberation, it is very difficult to determine whether it is stereo, QS or SQ.

The display on the panel shows the sound source direction detection result in those (direction emphasis) full logic processing.
Nice to hear from you again on this forum.
Can I ask why the display on the right (the QS display) does not have LEDs to show CF or CB directions but the SQ display does?

Nice to hear from you again on this forum.
Can I ask why the display on the right (the QS display) does not have LEDs to show CF or CB directions but the SQ display does?
In the case of SQ, when there is a sound source in the front center or rear center, the direction cannot be determined only by the front left / right volume ratio and rear left / right volume ratio. Therefore, the direction is discriminated taking into account the volume ratio of the front and rear.

Incidentally, in the case of QS, when there is a sound source at the dead center (directly above), the direction cannot be determined only by the volume ratio of the front left and rear right, and the volume ratio of the front right and rear left. However, there is no problem because the dead center (directly above) does not require the direction emphasis logic to work.

Yes, that's right.
For example, when there is a sound source in the front center, the left front volume is the same as the right front volume.
At that time, the volume ratio is 1 regardless of the volume. (The volume ratio is 1 with or without sound)
So, even if there is a sound source ahead, it cannot be detected.

Audionics Space and Image Composer was a similar process.
http://www.pacair.com/audionics/Composer/Schematics/index.htm

Yes, that's right.
For example, when there is a sound source in the front center, the left front volume is the same as the right front volume.
At that time, the volume ratio is 1 regardless of the volume. (The volume ratio is 1 with or without sound)
So, even if there is a sound source ahead, it cannot be detected.

Audionics Space and Image Composer was a similar process.
http://www.pacair.com/audionics/Composer/Schematics/index.htm
For in phase signals, surely the fact that the "volume ratio" is 1 tells you that the source is central?

For in phase signals, surely the fact that the "volume ratio" is 1 tells you that the source is central?
Please forgive duplicate posts.
If the left and right volumes are the same, the volume ratio is 1 even when the volume is very low. Therefore, it cannot be determined that there is a sound source in the front center. Can only know if there is a sound on the right or a sound on the left.
To compensate for the lack of information, the volume ratio of the sum of the left and right signals and the difference between the left and right signals is obtained. Based on this, it is determined whether the sound is forward or backward.
By the way, in the circuit, A / B calculation is log (A) -log (B).

Back