playing cd-4,sq and qs and when to disconnect demodulator or to swap out shabata cartidge

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aifrecords

say I have the demodualtor plugged into back of amp and shabata cartidge on turntable to play cd-4. when i am done and want to hear sq and qs do i have to swap out shabata with regular cartidge or can i keep shabata in? will it damage qs and sq?

next q when done with cd-4 and wanting to hear sq and qs turn off demodulator and still leave it in back of amp? or disconnect it from amp?

A CD-4 cartridge will play SQ, QS, and regular stereo records just fine.

What demodulator do you have?

Doug

ok and i guess with no harm to the sq and qs, havent bought anything yet, looking at sansui qrx 3500,5500,4500,7001,6001 for receiver s and for demod marantz cd 400b, pioneer cd4. the sony sqd 2050 says sq,r mtx and discrete on it so i wonder it that will do qs as well and if the discrete on that means a demod for cd4, same as sony sqd 202 same features , and thank you

So I am using a Marantz CD-400 (no B) which I am told is the same as a JVC 4DD-5, but with an added "aux" input. This is playing into the CD-4 input of a Marantz 4270. The 4270 also has the SQA-2B option board installed. (yes, you need both the CD-400 and the SQA-2B if you want all three formats. "Vario-Matrix" aka RM aka QS is built in.

This got real weird trying to figure everything out. Using this system is not intuitive. So I have my turntable hooked to the "Phono" input of the CD-400 and the "4 CH OUT" front and rear RCAs connected to the "CD-4/AUX" line in RCAs on the 4270. That part works as you'd expect. Here's where it gets weird though. If you want a 2 channel or matrix LP to play only through the front speakers, you need to also connect an interconnect from "2 CH DIRECT OUT" of the CD-400 to the "PHONO" input of the 4270. Then to play a 2-channel, SQ, or QS LP you reach behind the CD-400 and flip 2 CH DIRECT OUT switch to ON and set the receiver to PHONO. Otherwise, it'll play through both front and rear speakers, and who knows what'll happen if you try to apply SQ or QS decoding on top of that. Then if you want to go back to playing a CD-4 LP you need to flip the switch back and use the CD-4/AUX input. Yep, I really wish they'd arranged the switches on the CD-400 differently, but that's the way it works.

If you are using a Sansui QRX-7001 you need no demodulator, it will decode all three formats natively. I'll be hooking mine up tomorrow to see if it works as I'm pretty much done shaking down the Marantz setup! (I know it works, but I have not tested CD-4 playback as I did not have the capability the last time it was hooked up.) That works much more intuitively and by reputation has the best matrix decoders of the era. We'll find out I guess!

In other news, I found another AT-15Sa cartridge and I'm getting CD-4 decoding from my Dual 1229Q (as well as my Technics SL-1650 which was the first one I got working)

So I am using a Marantz CD-400 (no B) which I am told is the same as a JVC 4DD-5, but with an added "aux" input. This is playing into the CD-4 input of a Marantz 4270. The 4270 also has the SQA-2B option board installed. (yes, you need both the CD-400 and the SQA-2B if you want all three formats. "Vario-Matrix" aka RM aka QS is built in.

This got real weird trying to figure everything out. Using this system is not intuitive. So I have my turntable hooked to the "Phono" input of the CD-400 and the "4 CH OUT" front and rear RCAs connected to the "CD-4/AUX" line in RCAs on the 4270. That part works as you'd expect. Here's where it gets weird though. If you want a 2 channel or matrix LP to play only through the front speakers, you need to also connect an interconnect from "2 CH DIRECT OUT" of the CD-400 to the "PHONO" input of the 4270. Then to play a 2-channel, SQ, or QS LP you reach behind the CD-400 and flip 2 CH DIRECT OUT switch to ON and set the receiver to PHONO. Otherwise, it'll play through both front and rear speakers, and who knows what'll happen if you try to apply SQ or QS decoding on top of that. Then if you want to go back to playing a CD-4 LP you need to flip the switch back and use the CD-4/AUX input. Yep, I really wish they'd arranged the switches on the CD-400 differently, but that's the way it works.

If you are using a Sansui QRX-7001 you need no demodulator, it will decode all three formats natively. I'll be hooking mine up tomorrow to see if it works as I'm pretty much done shaking down the Marantz setup! (I know it works, but I have not tested CD-4 playback as I did not have the capability the last time it was hooked up.) That works much more intuitively and by reputation has the best matrix decoders of the era. We'll find out I guess!

In other news, I found another AT-15Sa cartridge and I'm getting CD-4 decoding from my Dual 1229Q (as well as my Technics SL-1650 which was the first one I got working)
No harm with the demodulator feeding double stereo out to the amp, matrix decoding if selected would only be derived from the front channels with that setup.

Yes it's a pain switching the direct output as they put the damn switch on the back! Although It's best to play stereo and matrix through the receivers phono input to bypass the 15KHz low pass filter, even though a pain to switch.

I have a Marantz receiver (in my shed), when I last used it I found that the SQ decoder was not all that great and the Vari-Matix (not Vario) is of the most basic type similar to Dyna or Electrovoice, it will work on QS but not very well!

No harm with the demodulator feeding double stereo out to the amp, matrix decoding if selected would only be derived from the front channels with that setup.

Yes it's a pain switching the direct output as they put the damn switch on the back! Although It's best to play stereo and matrix through the receivers phono input to bypass the 15KHz low pass filter, even though a pain to switch.

I have a Marantz receiver (in my shed), when I last used it I found that the SQ decoder was not all that great and the Vari-Matix (not Vario) is of the most basic type similar to Dyna or Electrovoice, it will work on QS but not very well!

I received the Marantz from an old friend of mine in semi-working condition in exchange for sending him a Simpson meter that I'd bought cheap and broken and was able to fix inexpensively. AFTER purchasing the QRX-7001 after researching OCD style and determining that that was what I wanted (or a higher model QRX) now I have two decent quad receivers, what to do? Actually three as I also have a KR-9940 that's been away at the spa for about a year now, I should call and check up on it.

Yes, what to do with multiple quad receivers, my dilemma as well, the answer is to get more speakers :)
I now have two, also. I had a Sansui QRX-7001 that I bought in Jan 2020 and loved it SO much I bought a 9001 through the QRX Restore. I guess the tune up on the quad parts really works because the 9001 sounds much better than the 7001, which was restored by a local former Sansui dealer. Now, what to do with the 7001? :unsure:

I now have two, also. I had a Sansui QRX-7001 that I bought in Jan 2020 and loved it SO much I bought a 9001 through the QRX Restore. I guess the tune up on the quad parts really works because the 9001 sounds much better than the 7001, which was restored by a local former Sansui dealer. Now, what to do with the 7001? :unsure:
The 9001 has lower harmonic distortion rating so it should sound better than the 7001.

Your demodulator should also have a bypass output that can be directly connected to your receiver's phono input for when you're playing records that aren't CD-4. A front-panel knob should have a "bypass" or "2-ch" setting that will route the signal from your turntable directly to the receiver's phono input. This would be fine for playing stereo, SQ, and QS records. Marantz offered two different SQ decoder modules for their receivers; a basic model, and a full-logic version. Either one fits in the pocket on the bottom of the receiver. You might want to see which one is in there.

ok and i guess with no harm to the sq and qs, havent bought anything yet, looking at sansui qrx 3500,5500,4500,7001,6001 for receiver s and for demod marantz cd 400b, pioneer cd4. the sony sqd 2050 says sq,r mtx and discrete on it so i wonder it that will do qs as well and if the discrete on that means a demod for cd4, same as sony sqd 202 same features , and thank you
The Sony SQD-2050's "R-Mtx" setting is, basically, QS. It also works for EV-encoded records, and does a nice job with stereo records, too.

Back