Playing DVD-A files from a PC.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Lensflair
Lets try this again, but follow all the steps and report back. OK? Baby steps.
Turn off ARC in your AVR.
Leave the AVR on and reboot the pc.
Right click on the Windows icon in the bottom left corner. A menu will come up. Select Device Manager.
Navigate to Sound, video and game controllers.
Tell us what is listed there.

Why not just burn it to a disc?
I had another post about that. That is what I originally wanted to do. However, according to a couple of other posters, they said my sony dvd player won't play burned copies. Sony evidently, sees copies as pirated copies. They suggested converting them to another format that Sony will allow, but that seemed like too much of a hassle. That being said. I never tried it. I don't know how to burn a .iso file. All of my burning software only allows for videoTS files, not audioTS files. No I have no clue how to burn a playable DVD from a .iso file, even if my player could play it.

Update. What a frustrating ride this has been. As I said earlier, I have never used a PC, but I recruited my son in law over the holidays to help with this, who is quite a computer whiz. We have stuck out.

I bought a refurbished PC to try to do this. The first PC had some issues, so I sent it back and bought a new one. This one was supposed to be able to play Dolby Atmos, so we assumed it would play 5.1. No matter what we tried, we couldn't get the speaker settings to go to 5.1. Only stereo. The laptop did not have an HDMI port on it. Only an USBc port. We thought maybe it was the HDMI to USBc adapter that we bought that might be the problem, so we bought a new cable that didn't require an adapter, and was rated for 7.1.2. That didn't work. We contacted Samsung customer support (for all it's worth) and they said that we needed a PC with a dedicated HDMI port.

I don't know if that is true. I don't know if it IS a computer issue. Whether it is a cable issue (the HDMI cable without the USBc is the same brand that I am using for everything else so I assume that was fine). We installed the latest update on my Yamaha receiver, but don't know if it is a communication with the receiver problem.

All I know is that we cannot get the PC to play in 5.1.

Any more ideas? We're out of them.

Thanks for all your help.

I thought it was understood you needed the HDMI or at least Display Port out. Now, there are outboard USB sound devices to be had. I have zero experience with them myself.
I offered several times to walk you through it but you did not respond in kind, and now you are throwing money at it.

I hope you get it all figured out.

Now that you have a Windows computer why don't you just burn the .iso file to DVD? ImgBurn and AnyBurn are freeware and are simple to use. I think they work with Mac also. So simple that when I dream while sleeping, there's a setting that automatically burns the images in my dreams... but watch out, that can get you into trouble with the missus!

I thought it was understood you needed the HDMI or at least Display Port out. Now, there are outboard USB sound devices to be had. I have zero experience with them myself.
I offered several times to walk you through it but you did not respond in kind, and now you are throwing money at it.

My apologies. Never meant to reject your offer to help (it's greatly appreciated) but since I am so far over my head, I have been giving all the info to my son in law. Trying to talk me through it would be like talking to a wall.

Are you affirming that I need a PC with an HDMI port?

Now that you have a Windows computer why don't you just burn the .iso file to DVD? ImgBurn and AnyBurn are freeware and are simple to use. I think they work with Mac also. So simple that when I dream while sleeping, there's a setting that automatically burns the images in my dreams... but watch out, that can get you into trouble with the missus!
I have Burn for mac, plus a few others. They all operate the same. The PC doesn't have a disc drive. Under what setting do you use to burn .iso files? I have three options: Data, Audio and Video. Video only allows VideoTS files. When I tried using the Audio setting on some 5.1 FLAC files, I only got stereo. Data? Which setting do I use? Please let me know and I'll give it a shot.

I'm saying yes... And it's also worth confirming the type of graphics card the laptop has. As you can't take it for granted that its accompanying audio chip-set is able to bit-stream the likes of lossless Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos) and DTS-HD MA/DTS:X. Although is should be able to support multi-channel LPCM...

Last edited:
I have Burn for mac, plus a few others. They all operate the same. The PC doesn't have a disc drive. Under what setting do you use to burn .iso files? I have three options: Data, Audio and Video. Video only allows VideoTS files. When I tried using the Audio setting on some 5.1 FLAC files, I only got stereo. Data? Which setting do I use? Please let me know and I'll give it a shot.
Just Google it. I am sure you will find something on burning an iso file to DVD on a Mac.

Under what setting do you use to burn .iso files?
One way to look at an .iso file is that it’s a wrapper for all the data that goes on a disc. I’ve opened up the wrapper with winzip, and it looks just like a disc looks when you open it with windows.

I make DVDs, CDs and Blu-rays fairly often, and when I do, I have my authoring program make an .iso file first, then burn that to the disc. I use a program called Roxio as my disc authoring program.

I’ve never tried to build an .iso file from a disc.

Well yeah, without additional USB devices. I mean you can buy outboard USB sound devices but I hate to see you keep buying stuff.
Now if you're locked into a pc with no HDMI port I'm not sure what other options you have. I personally have zero experience with USB audio devices.

I have a self built pc with your standard ATX motherboard. It has besides your usual array of ports, also HDMI and DisplayPort, either of which can be used to pass sound or video.

The same thing could be accomplished from either HDMI or DisplayPort out from a video card, though I prefer to use the HDMI port on the pc motherboard.

The HDMI cable or DisplayPort to HDMI cable connects the pc to the AVR. Simple as that, to pass either/both video and sound. All the rest is configuration and drivers.

Configure Windows sound settings for whatever capabilities your AVR has; e.g. 5.1, 7.1, etc.
If using the HDMI port from the motherboard of the computer, the driver will be the Intel driver, usually installed by Windows by default. Same with the DisplayPort port.
Configure your AVR however you need to, to accept the signal coming in from the HDMI cable. I always use the main input on the AVR (could be labeled as anything but should be one of the highest level HDMI ports you have). Then set up your HDMI out to your TV/monitor. Disable eARC/ARC at first until you get the sound working like you want it, then you can figure the TV sound stuff out (if that applies)
That's pretty much the gist of it.

Well yeah, without additional USB devices. I mean you can buy outboard USB sound devices but I hate to see you keep buying stuff.
Now if you're locked into a pc with no HDMI port I'm not sure what other options you have. I personally have zero experience with USB audio devices.

I have a self built pc with your standard ATX motherboard. It has besides your usual array of ports, also HDMI and DisplayPort, either of which can be used to pass sound or video.

The same thing could be accomplished from either HDMI or DisplayPort out from a video card, though I prefer to use the HDMI port on the pc motherboard.

The HDMI cable or DisplayPort to HDMI cable connects the pc to the AVR. Simple as that, to pass either/both video and sound. All the rest is configuration and drivers.

Configure Windows sound settings for whatever capabilities your AVR has; e.g. 5.1, 7.1, etc.
If using the HDMI port from the motherboard of the computer, the driver will be the Intel driver, usually installed by Windows by default. Same with the DisplayPort port.
Configure your AVR however you need to, to accept the signal coming in from the HDMI cable. I always use the main input on the AVR (could be labeled as anything but should be one of the highest level HDMI ports you have). Then set up your HDMI out to your TV/monitor. Disable eARC/ARC at first until you get the sound working like you want it, then you can figure the TV sound stuff out (if that applies)
That's pretty much the gist of it.
Thanks for the info. I specifically bought the laptop from Amazon (refurbished) with a 90 return policy. I sent it back. Found an inexpensive one with an HDMI port. It's on the way. I'll let you know how it works out when I receive it. Thanks again.

Back