Playing DVD-A files from a PC.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. I specifically bought the laptop from Amazon (refurbished) with a 90 return policy. I sent it back. Found an inexpensive one with an HDMI port. It's on the way. I'll let you know how it works out when I receive it. Thanks again.
One thing I should add that may be obvious, is that when you are configuring the sound in Windows, be sure to have the AVR and pc connected and the AVR turned on.
When you get things going, I'll help any way I can.

One way to look at an .iso file is that it’s a wrapper for all the data that goes on a disc. I’ve opened up the wrapper with winzip, and it looks just like a disc looks when you open it with windows.

I make DVDs, CDs and Blu-rays fairly often, and when I do, I have my authoring program make an .iso file first, then burn that to the disc. I use a program called Roxio as my disc authoring program.

I’ve never tried to build an .iso file from a disc.
I don't use Roxio, but if you have an unencrypted BD disc you can just copy the folders out and create an ISO with ImgBurn. ImgBurn is all I've used for years to create ISO's and as a burning program.
It will also create ISO's of DVD/DVDA discs if you have the proper folders.
I don't author DVD's anymore, except very simple ones rarely with AudioMuxer, and very rarely I author DVDA's with discWelder Chrome. (lossless only-no VIDEO_TS)

One thing I should add that may be obvious, is that when you are configuring the sound in Windows, be sure to have the AVR and pc connected and the AVR turned on.
When you get things going, I'll help any way I can.
Technically, your laptop and AVR should be able to perform an HDMI connection handshake, to automatically determine the A/V capabilities of your laptop.

Technically, your laptop and AVR should be able to perform an HDMI connection handshake, to automatically determine the A/V capabilities of your laptop.
Well, his current laptop has no HDMI port.
But, I have often found that Windows has a mind of it's own when it comes to sound.
I've had more problems with my Window 10 Pro machine that makes me want to pull what little hair I have left out, while my Windows 11 Pro machine is much easier with sound configuration.

With my Win 10 machine, I've been through some very convoluted steps and got everything working, only to have an "update" break everything and reduce everything back to stereo once again. I finally just gave up on it since it's not my main pc and frankly not worth my time. I have had to ocassionaly work through a few problems with Win 11, but nothing I could not figure out. I want to say I've seen it all, but with Windows you just never know! lol. I just figure it out and keep on trucking. Persistence & patience. Sometimes a few cold snacks.

I wanted to add, that usually once things are sorted out, they usually stay that way.

Just Google it. I am sure you will find something on burning an iso file to DVD on a Mac.
Nope.

Didn't work.

According to Google, burning the .iso file to DVD was just like burning any DVD. However, the DVD player didn't recognize the file.

I used Burn. Seem to be the only free Mac equivalent to the PC burning softwares. Also tried the software that came with my Mac. That didn't work either.

Grrrrrrrr.

I don't want to confuse @Lensflair but thought I would add this as a "new" wrinkle that just happened to me for anyone else following this.
I don't remember what speaker setup he said he has.
I have an Atmos 7.1.4 setup, meaning I have your standard 5.1 + side surrounds + 4 overhead speakers.
I normally set up sound in Windows 11 as 7.1.
But of course I still listen to a lot of 5.1.
Windows likes to treat side surrounds as rear surrounds, nothing new here, but on my system, playback of 5.1 the rear speakers were always active and the side surrounds were silent.
Not the case now, and I have to go into Windows sound and switch from 7.1 to 5.1 else the side surrounds become the "rears". bummer.

Something in recent Windows update? Not sure. I do know something changed in latest Intel driver update as "exclusive mode" totally destroys the sound for me in Foobar.
Still checking this out. I'll get there, and for now not using exclusive mode in Foobar solves that problem. Hmm turned off exclusive mode in Windows Sound, will see what happens.
Ah, Windows. No wonder it confuses Mac users. I've been using Windows since the first version and sometimes it confuses hell out of me.

Hmmm...

In the case of lossless Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos) and DTS-HD MA/DTS:X, if your computer has been configured to send the original audio 'bit-stream' via HDMI to your AVR then this wont alter/change the mapping positions of your speakers.

Hmmm...

In the case of lossless Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos) and DTS-HD MA/DTS:X, if your computer has been configured to send the original audio 'bit-stream' via HDMI to your AVR then this wont alter/change the mapping positions of your speakers.
Right! Don't know why the 5.1 pcm/flac suddenly changed. But it's fixed.

Nope.

Didn't work.

According to Google, burning the .iso file to DVD was just like burning any DVD. However, the DVD player didn't recognize the file.

I used Burn. Seem to be the only free Mac equivalent to the PC burning softwares. Also tried the software that came with my Mac. That didn't work either.

Grrrrrrrr.
You may have a corrupt iso file.

An update . . .

FINALLY, after getting a PC with an HDMI port, and a little futzing, I got this to work! It solved two problems. It plays .iso files, and I had a couple of flac files that for some reason wouldn't play from a flash drive. They play perfectly now.

Thanks again for all of the help. I still need to play around and learn more about this PC stuff. Now need to figure out how to play .wav + .cue files.

I'm an old dog who has a hard time learning new tricks.

Thanks again!

An update . . .

FINALLY, after getting a PC with an HDMI port, and a little futzing, I got this to work! It solved two problems. It plays .iso files, and I had a couple of flac files that for some reason wouldn't play from a flash drive. They play perfectly now.

Thanks again for all of the help. I still need to play around and learn more about this PC stuff. Now need to figure out how to play .wav + .cue files.

I'm an old dog who has a hard time learning new tricks.

Thanks again!
CUE + WAV files should also work perfectly in foobar2000, FYI.

Back