Playing iso files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have to convert DSD to PCM (FLAC), know it is a lossy process. But sometimes it is necessary if the playback devices don't support DSD. Make sure the conversions are 44.1k family (i.e 24/176.4k) to make losses minimal. Try DSD2FLAC

There are Mac instructions (haven't used so can't say it's updated lately).
https://www.sonore.us/dsd2flac.html

If you have to convert DSD to PCM (FLAC), know it is a lossy process. But sometimes it is necessary if the playback devices don't support DSD. Make sure the conversions are 44.1k family (i.e 24/176.4k) to make losses minimal. Try DSD2FLAC

There are Mac instructions (haven't used so can't say it's updated lately).
https://www.sonore.us/dsd2flac.html
88.2kHz is probably the best. If you’re properly filtering upon conversion, 176.4kHz is pretty pointless.

Pointless? Thanks for that.
Yes, for the most part.

In very simple terms, even if you filter as high as 50kHz, you‘re mostly just wasting the extra space needed between 24/88 and 24/176 on noise.

Try both. If you don’t hear a difference or the 24/88 even sounds better, why waste the storage space?

Pointless? Thanks for that. So 352.8k is even more pointless? How about 32fs?
Yes. I can’t tell if you’re trying to be clever (you’re not), but If you’re converting DSD64 to PCM, 352.8k is even more pointless.

And yes, it is lossy in the literal sense. But it is not comparable to the common usage of the term when converting to a mp3 or aac.

? The modulation noise (not really noise, but the bit clock carrier that's being modulated by the audio producing an uncorrelated white noise in the audio realm) is attenuated/removed by the decimation filtering within the DSD(PDM) > PCM conversion process. The problem of any down conversion from DSD (any rate) to PCM is that the lower the PCM sample rate, the steeper and therefore more intrusive is the decimation filter required. 176.4k is half the rate of 352.8KHz (DXD) PCM, so therefore twice the filter steepness and non-linear phase effects. But at 88.2k that steepness and non-linear phase effects are four times as much as DXD (aka 352.8k). It's a main reason Pyramix chose 352.8k as DXD, since filtering at that sample rate was least intrusive and yet file sizes could still be manageable. If you hear a DSD conversion at 16fs or 32fs you'll hear why they are even better, but file sizes get unwieldy. And no, it's not about hearing above 30k!

I rip iso to dff files and playback thru a Sony Blu ray 6200. I have an OPPO and honestly the Sony over HDMI is hard to beat. You can play multichannel DSD over the thing and get on one eBay for 40 dollars. Foobar plugins are a pain to me and forget multi channel over them. I never have used JRiver. I just play of of hard drives ..I know the Sony can be played over network but my days of NAS are done. It seems that multi channel is coming back because off high res and Atmos now being pushed by the Overlords. I won't live long enough to stream multi channel DSD over my phone but it's coming.

Lately I've went to play an .iso file with Foobar and now it crashes, only trying to play a multichannel file. The Stereo files still play fine. I have no idea what's caused this. I've changed nothing, added or removed any features. It just started doing it. That's a disappointment, because it was working fine before. Somethings happened. I've tried re-installing it with no success.
Yeah I am not a fan of foobar, honestly. I like playing my files over MPC HC and lav filters. It won't play wav or DSD but that why I have an external. I been using mixing software and these codecs for a long, long time being an htpc enthusiast so it takes a curve to get used to all the variations.

You can use this to convert SACD ISOs to DSF/DFF files and play them. Or you can convert the resulting DSF/DFF files to 24/88.2 FLAC with Foobar.

Foobar and JRiver will also play ISO files directly

Just tried downloading Sonore ISO@DSD and got a warning "potential security risk"
any one else get that message and was able to safely use it?

Back