Playing quad on a Denon X4500H

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A codec is a hardware- or software-based process that compresses and decompresses large amounts of data. Codecs are used in applications to play and create media files for users, as well as to send media files over a network. The term is a blend of the words coder and decoder, as well as compression and decompression. ;)

Yes, broadly, but it's a term that is widely misunderstood and misused.

Last edited:
A codec is a hardware- or software-based process that compresses and decompresses large amounts of data. Codecs are used in applications to play and create media files for users, as well as to send media files over a network. The term is a blend of the words coder and decoder, as well as compression and decompression. ;)
Actually, it is a hardware- or software-based process that encodes and decodes data in a special transmission form.

A modern alternative is to listen to digitized quad FLAC files off a small hard drive. I do that with a Denon AVR-X2200 system - the HDD connected to a Sony X800 Blu Ray player then HDMI into Denon AVR.
Hello
I have denon x3600, sony x800
Want decode Flac quad files..
So i must connect hd thru x800, and bitstream thru HDMI to receiver?
Also have htpc with foobar2000 sending to denon...nit sure how to configure that for true quad.
Thank you

Hello
I have denon x3600, sony x800
Want decode Flac quad files..
So i must connect hd thru x800, and bitstream thru HDMI to receiver?
Also have htpc with foobar2000 sending to denon...nit sure how to configure that for true quad.
Thank you
Seems like either of those approaches are workable. Try both and see which you prefer for playback in terms of information displayed and options presented.

Through the Sony disc player is adequate but not as good as the OPPO disc players where I can browse album folders while something is playing. The Sony will stop playing if you are shopping for other tunes in the menu.

I don’t have any feedback about using Foobar for this playback.

Make sure that your Flac files include a fifth silent channel so they are decoded properly. If you don’t, all you’ll hear is the front channels of your quad file.

Last edited:
Make sure that you were Flac files include a fifth silent channel so they are decoded properly. If you don’t, all you’ll hear is the front channels of your quad file.
Is that because of their Denon receiver, or their Sony player? I have a Denon 4200 and a media player with Kodi, and I don't need to add a silent channel to play quad FLAC files.

Is that because of their Denon receiver, or their Sony player? I have a Denon 4200 and a media player with Kodi, and I don't need to add a silent channel to play quad FLAC files.
The Sony player + Denon AVR-X2200 confirmed and his AVR very likely. I suspect yours could be as well. May be a list somewhere.

I think KODI might change the requirements equation.

Seems like either of those approaches are workable. Try both and see which you prefer for playback in terms of information displayed and options presented.

Through the Sony disc player is adequate but not as good as the OPPO disc players where I can browse album folders while something is playing. The Sony will stop playing if you are shopping for other tunes in the menu.

I don’t have any feedback about using Foobar for this playback.

Make sure that your Flac files include a fifth silent channel so they are decoded properly. If you don’t, all you’ll hear is the front channels of your quad file.
Thank you

A modern alternative is to listen to digitized quad FLAC files off a small hard drive. I do that with a Denon AVR-X2200 system - the HDD connected to a Sony X800 Blu Ray player then HDMI into Denon AVR.
Hello, i'm interested in your reply on the Quad question and using a Denon x3600. I too have a Sony x800 as you mentioned.
IF i have then a FLAC file quadrophonic 4.0 on say HDD or USB drive, do i have to bitstream to Denon ?
Thank you

Hello, i'm interested in your reply on the Quad question and using a Denon x3600. I too have a Sony x800 as you mentioned.
IF i have then a FLAC file quadrophonic 4.0 on say HDD or USB drive, do i have to bitstream to Denon ?
Thank you
The disc player is acting as the front end for your USB hard drive - sending the appropriate channels data across HDMI cable into the Denon AVR-X to be processed. There is no change necessary between playing a Blu Ray disc OR the FLAC files off USB drive.

The disc player is acting as the front end for your USB hard drive - sending the appropriate channels data across HDMI cable into the Denon AVR-X to be processed. There is no change necessary between playing a Blu Ray disc OR the FLAC files off USB drive.
Thank you...
I remember a few years ago I used The HDMI number two port to send
bitsream to AVR...
The AVR would see input as dsd format
..i think...memory not as good
Thank you for reply

I've not read through this entire thread, but just catching up with the daily posting digests and thought this was appropriate as I have a new Denon 4800 and an older Sony BDP-S780 player. I have lots of 5.1 channel flac files and realized I couldn't stream them using my server. Last week I tried playing them back on a USB stick, but could not get my AVR to see them as 5.1 files. Tonight I tried again and went through the Sony menus in case I missed something. Didn't make any changes, but tonight my Denon see them as MultiChannel Input played back through the front USB port on my Sony BDP!!! HooRah!

Chris

Back