Playing SACDs with Quad Receivers & Buying SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oppo 105, Oppo 103, Marantz DV7600..... Disc player must play SACD and have 5.1 analog outs.
I'm sure others know many more options than these. Which Sansui quad do you have?

It sends full-range audio to the rears, rather than using bass-management to cut off the lows to them.

QZ you fixed a problem for me. I had inadvertently set one rear Klipsch Academy to large and one to small on my Oppo 105. I was trying to figure out why they didn't sound balanced. Even swapped speakers, thinking one was muted. When that failed, I started suspecting the Marantz 4300 receiver(recapped). I think it was my incorrect settings all along!

I have two Sony DVP-NS3100ES DVD-Video/SACD players, one silver (in my home office quad system) and one black (as a backup). Build quality is fantastic, and SACD sound quality is much better than my OPPO BDP-103 units. There is a small computer monitor off to one side for settings and disk menus. They do not play DVD-Audio, but that format is dead anyway, however they do play multichannel Audio-DVDs like the Jethro Tull releases. I paid less for both of mine used than I did for one used OPPO 103D … about 1/2 actually. I don't mean to throw cold water on the OPPO fans, but their strength is that they play all formats. They are not the best for sound, unless you spring for a 105 or 205.

P1030776.JPG

Last edited:
QZ you fixed a problem for me. I had inadvertently set one rear Klipsch Academy to large and one to small on my Oppo 105. I was trying to figure out why they didn't sound balanced. Even swapped speakers, thinking one was muted. When that failed, I started suspecting the Marantz 4300 receiver(recapped). I think it was my incorrect settings all along!

I am glad to help. It is always nice when the problem is an inexpensive (or free) fix.

I'm in the same situation as switchblade. I have a older model quad receiver (Sansui) and would love to get into some SACDs and the like. Right now, I just have albums. Anyone have a recommendation for a player that won't break the bank and do a decent job? Not sure if any are available "new" or if this is a technology that's not supported anymore (like my quad albums.) Again, I won't have a center channel or subwoofer.
Because you need multichannel analog outputs, "new" would be very difficult. And its not that the technology isn't supported... SACD's are released regularly by several re-issue companies, though, ironically, not by Sony, who invented them... its because you cant use digital outputs into your vintage gear.

Karl already mentioned the Oppo 1xx series players and a Marantz, but even those aren't new. Look into the used market for older Oppo's. On the rare occasion I actually play a disk these days, I use an Oppo BDP-83 SE. That model, as well as the 9XX series Oppo's will do all you need and more, for a lot cheaper.

Oppo 105, Oppo 103, Marantz DV7600..... Disc player must play SACD and have 5.1 analog outs.
I'm sure others know many more options than these. Which Sansui quad do you have?
Just bought the QX-7001 from a local stereo store/repair shop that used to be a Sansui dealer. Totally done over. It's pretty amazing!

Unfortunately, manufacturers seem to have given up on multichannel audio. Very few new home theatre receivers have a multichannel input today. They rely on HDMI for that, and the same goes for many Blu-ray players. The big problem is that HDMI boards in a LOT of receivers are horribly unreliable. Google "HDMI board failures" for more info. My main multichannel system centres around an Arcam AV9 preamp/processor, but I have NEVER connected an HDMI cable. It does have a 7.1-channel analog input though, so that is how I listen to my modern digital multichannel and legacy analog quadraphonic components.

If you don't need Blu-ray there are a lot of "universal" players out there cheap on eBay. Samsung DVD-HD841 for one, my favourite was Pioneer Elite DV-45A but it won't recognize many of the latest DV discs, so I can't recommend it anymore. My Oppo DV970HD cost me about $50 as I recall but I don't see any on eBay right now only the DV971H which doesn't do SACD. You might have to do some research, search sites like eBay for available SACD players then google search for more information about them, make sure they do surround and have audio outputs for all channels.
If you don't mind breaking the bank a little bit look for Oppo BDP-103.

Oppo is a great choice, but I never could find an excuse to upgrade my Pioneer 578A. You can get that or a 563 which will play DVD-A, SACD and DTS dirt cheap on ePay.

Oppo is a great choice, but I never could find an excuse to upgrade my Pioneer 578A. You can get that or a 563 which will play DVD-A, SACD and DTS dirt cheap on ePay.
Of course, now that I saw this thread, guess who is looking to see which Oppos have analog 5.1 out....PC but no disc player in the mancave.

Of course, now that I saw this thread, guess who is looking to see which Oppos have analog 5.1 out....PC but no disc player in the mancave.

If you can find a DV-980H, I use one in my bedroom system with a Yamaha RX-V1500 and I love it … although it does have a tendency to pull the disk-loading drawer in unexpectedly, so you have to be careful or it will pinch the disk. This is a fairly common problem with this model. I only paid $35 (Canadian) for it though, and it has multichannel analog line outputs. You can't go wrong, and it plays HDCDs too.

P1030777.JPG

Last edited:
Man I love the looks (and control) of these older receivers :p - but they can be finicky little fucks!

Worse than 'modern' home theatre receivers with HDMI settings, digital input assignments, useless DSP settings, speaker size and distance settings, bass management, and space shuttle remote controls? Not hardly.

Hello :This is my first response to any posting since I am new to this site ,I love my Pioneer Elite DVD-45A it plays SACD , DSD CD`s , DVD`S , CD`S and pretty much anything you can throw at it , have not try re-writes yet ,it also has all the out-puts you yourself need ,its in my Stereo cabinet right now , but I do remember rca connections for front ,surround and center I believe , you can Google the brand and model number plus Owners Manual and get more information ,I am currently running it into one of my Vintage quad receivers a Pioneer QX-646 which I believe is one of the best sounding units I have ever heard ,it has the capability to run 6 speakers but I am just running 4 right now ,what a wonderful rich tube like sound this thing puts out , even with a Digital player such as the 45A,must have a good dac on board, I believe I payed around $50.00 or $60.00 for the Pioneer 45a what a pleasant surprise that was , well good luck with your system , Regards Robert

Back