Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I guess I had my info wrong regarding Gong - You,
Apparently the masters are in the record company hands, here is a reply I got from Jonny Greene:

"Quad masters possibly only exist in Atlantic vaults in US, and not fully formed.
It was discussed a few years ago but no-one has the spare time (or money) to chase it up. "

I thought for some reason that Mike Howlett (Bass player for Gong) has the masters... but this is what Jonny said in a second mail:

"The master that Howlett had went up in the great shed fire of '99, or was it '01, I forget which.

I know the band would look with favour on anything Bob V might suggest or be able to do"

So there is hope? :)

I would guess that the next release will be a "higher profile" title, something that will attract more buyers than any of those ATCO releases.

Here's something of high profile: Kraftwerk Autobahn

Bob,

On the WB side, there were many high-profile titles announced for DVD-Audio release that were teased but never released. I remember the Phil Collins (first two albums), Paul Simon Graceland, Fleetwood Mac (first album - a track from which is included on the latest Acura sampler DVD-A), and many more. We read articles in magazines about these albums being mixed by famous folks.

Is there anyone at Rhino Handmade that can see any incentive to release these discs, be them as DVD-A or DVD-V DTS or Blu-Ray, just to get them out there? The mixes and preperation are done it seems. They won't make any money just sitting there. If it's multiple royalties that killed DVD-A/SACD, releasing them as surround only "Quadio Plus" titles would solve that.

It seems a shame that these mixes are there and not being heard, except by those in the industry.

Any chance Rhino Handmade could get to these titles?

Well, "Face value" on surround will be a dream come true.
One that will never happen is the first Cristopher Cross.

Hey Guys,
As much as I wish the next quad release would be Tres Hombres, it isn't... It's a possibility though in the future....
I kind of lost track of this thread for a little while. I was just mowing my yard and thinking about quad releases (which I am sure everyone does) and it just popped in my head, hey "Tres Hombres" should be the next Rhino quad release. It's a perfect fit...part of the Warner catalog, great quad mix, and it's never been released in a digital format. I rushed in to look at this thread to see if there has been any discussion on this title. Sadly I quickly found that Tres Hombres is not on deck. Put me down as another vote for including this title in the future.

Bob,

Any chance that there are any quad mixes of The Raspberries sitting in Capitol's vaults? I've seen at least one sampler that includes one of their songs.

Bob,

On the WB side, there were many high-profile titles announced for DVD-Audio release that were teased but never released. I remember the Phil Collins (first two albums), Paul Simon Graceland, Fleetwood Mac (first album - a track from which is included on the latest Acura sampler DVD-A), and many more. We read articles in magazines about these albums being mixed by famous folks.

Is there anyone at Rhino Handmade that can see any incentive to release these discs, be them as DVD-A or DVD-V DTS or Blu-Ray, just to get them out there? The mixes and preperation are done it seems. They won't make any money just sitting there. If it's multiple royalties that killed DVD-A/SACD, releasing them as surround only "Quadio Plus" titles would solve that.

It seems a shame that these mixes are there and not being heard, except by those in the industry.

Any chance Rhino Handmade could get to these titles?

I suppose there's chance of putting them out if they were remixed....I'll see what I can find out...

Hi Bob, sure great to have you here. Would it be possible for you to find out where the quad mix for Boston's first album is? It was announced at one point for SACD, but dropped. Rumor is that Tom Scholz quashed its' release. Any light you could shed on this? I think this would be a superb quad release, as it is so multilayered, yet the stereo mix seems cramped and murky. Thanks in advance, I love reading this thread!

Have been mostly away from QQ for months due to travel, general busy-ness, and now a brand-new baby... but just took time to read this whole thread. YOWZA! Exciting stuff! I'm not a Chicago fan but I guess I had better go track this release down. Thanks so much for doing this Bob, and I'm chomping at the bit to hear what the next title is.

Close to the Edge and the James Taylor title would be two great releases that I'd love to have, and anything popular and not before released in surround would be a great plan. Also some of the very popular titles that have only been released in quad, like Aqualung and Tres Hombres. I can't see reissuing former DVD-A titles on BluRay until the concept really proves itself profitable. My experience as a dealer in current and out-of-print books suggests that the sometimes crazy prices for OP titles on the secondary market are often supported by a rather small customer base. Build up interest in the series with the titles the serious devotees will all buy, and then Rhino can take advantage of the lower production costs for previous DVD-A releases.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... Zappa's "One Size Fits All"! One of my all time favorite albums, listed as a coming quad title but never released... if those tapes are out there somewhere (believe that they couldn't be found in the Zappa archives). The apparently mixed but unreleased "Roxy and Elsewhere" would be great too, but OSFA would have to be my ultimate surround title.

Bob, you may be the man to finally push me into BluRay. I guess it was inevitable, but until just now I hadn't given it any serious thought!

Mark Z

Agreed. Very encouraging development.

My copy of the Chicago "Quadio" disc has been ordered and should be here in the days ahead.

Zappa's "One Size Fits All"! One of my all time favorite albums, listed as a coming quad title but never released... if those tapes are out there somewhere (believe that they couldn't be found in the Zappa archives). The apparently mixed but unreleased "Roxy and Elsewhere" would be great too, but OSFA would have to be my ultimate surround title.

Yay! If One Size is in any way possible, i vote for that, too! And Close. :)

Just read this thread, and I already have the CTA disc in my hand. I ordered it when it was first announced. As an old geezer (old timer for you over the Pond) I owned the quad platter back in the 70's when I had hair (not the album but the fuzzy stuff on top).

I always remembered the horns - and was more than chuffed when I heard the new version on my shiny 5.1 system. I'm up for the Aretha Franklin Quadio too. I have things from other sources such as Jethro Tull but Aqualung in proper surround would be fantastic. I lifted the CD4 myself off a few years back - but the vinyl has suffered.

I keep an eye on Rhino now in case any new Quadio titles pop up - here's hoping and many, many thnaks for paving the way with CTA.

Yes, it would be great to hear of something new in the Quadio program as DTS, DVD-A or Blu-Ray format.

The latest Rhino Handmade item is unreleased Chicago - Live in '75, in stereo.

Dear Bob:
I won't buy the Chicago disc, simply because I'm not a big fan of Chicago. I won't buy the Doobies either, I have most of their better albums in CD-4. And my CD-4 system is sounding better than it ever did. What I will buy are recordings that have never been released in quad or multichannel. I would love to hear these in surround:

Alice Cooper: Love it to Death, Killer, School's Out.
Anything early Black Oak Arkansas.
Deep Purple: Fireball, Who do we think we are.

That's what comes to mind immediately. What labels do you have access to? Anyway, we are very appreciative of your efforts to promote surround music. I always wondered why the record companies just didn't assign just one employee to producing surround recordings to serve this niche. There he would be in the corner of the factory, churning out snall batches of product. I know there's not big money in it, but surely there's small money in it, enough to support that employee? I am willing to accept DTS surround CDs if that's all I can get. But Blue Ray will do a great job, and we don't need a special audio format for blue ray, like DVD Audio, We just need the music put down on the disc with just a background, or a photo gallery. If there is a music video, it could be shown also. Anyway, I wish you complete success with your efforts, because your surround success is our pleasure. Good Luck!
The Quadfather

Back