Please welcome Bob Vosgien to QQ, the mastering engineer of the CTA Quad DTS Disc!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only wonder. All the discussion and talking about possibilies and the wishes to the big companies for more surround software are most theories. And an independent label - especially for surround production beneth classic - also for Pop, Jazz Easy Listening, Rock? I have make that with our quadro-surround label together with professionals - from the fans for the fans. But many fans likes more to talk about rarities and think, that only a few big stars or bands could make real well music.There are hundreds in the same quality. One should test live concerts with musicians without a big name in your own town with an enthusiastic auditorium. But also in the section music the situation seeems to be like that: A prophet is not without honour save in his own country or by the fans. When many of the fans would stay together, we could set up our activity to a bigger label. My intention is not to earn big money, but I like surround music and that must go on and especially in the quadraphonic manner. For our meanwhile 10 productions in 2 years I as producer have till now a loss of € 30.000 (thirtythousand).You may find another who will do the same! Nevertheless further productions are in planning. We produce in the good quadraphonic tradition, because 4 channel is easy for the producer and the listener and will reproduce also 5 channels with the phantom center. And this has the advantage especially for music, that the middel impression is exactly in quality and timbre the same like the both loudspeakers in front. Quadraphony should not end in 1976 by the fail of the admired big industry (system battle etc.). The fans have now the chance and the possibility to support our activity for their own interess (one should mean that) or the forum is further on full of wishes and theories. And again, for me is not the money the reason, but that surround music must go further on. We will see, how it works.

Dietrich

There's some real smart thinking in what Dietrich is saying about recording new artists and albums in Surround Sound vs. licensing titles from the major label.

Chad Kassem at Acoustic Sounds notes that he spent $100,000 to $150,000 per album to license The Doors albums for reissue as Surround Sound SACDs. So, if you're going to form a new reissue label and want to reissue well known, major artists, prepare to get out the check book big time !

To hear more about the Stereo and Surround Sound reissue world, check this audio interview with Chad Kassem, the Acoustic Sounds staff and Positive Feedback magazine, visit http://positive-feedback.com/Issue68/kassem_hirez.htm and the audio recording directly at http://positive-feedback.com/Issue6...ustic_Sounds_Super_Hi-Res_download_system.WMA It's an eye (and ear) opener!

It is not my intention to make reissues from always sometime the same old recordings - like the many different Pink Floyd. We make new recordings or new quadraphonic mixes and spend our money to the bands and the production crew.

Dietrich

It is not my intention to make reissues from always sometime the same old recordings - like the many different Pink Floyd. We make new recordings or new quadraphonic mixes and spend our money to the bands and the production crew.

Dietrich

Your approach makes sense. You can issue many more Surround Sound recordings on a limited budget with new artists and recordings - than the cost of even one major artist reissue in Surround.

You know that artist/album has to be popular with the surround crowd in order to finance it? You can't take a gamble on just anything. Speaking of which, I wonder just how popular that last/first release of Better Than Ezra really is/was.

.....Chad Kassem at Acoustic Sounds notes that he spent $100,000 to $150,000 per album to license The Doors albums for reissue as Surround Sound SACDs. So, if you're going to form a new reissue label and want to reissue well known, major artists, prepare to get out the check book big time........

Why would he spend all of that money to re-release titles that have been released over and over again in 5.1? If he wanted to be certain of decent sales, he should search for titles that cannot be purchased as easy as the Doors titles. Good grief, even the local "record store" here has a copy of the Perception box in stock! (Last time I checked)

There are a ton of unreleased Quad titles, and SACD/DVD-A titles that appeared then vanished. Pay to reissue those and you might make some sales!

Why would he spend all of that money to re-release titles that have been released over and over again in 5.1? If he wanted to be certain of decent sales, he should search for titles that cannot be purchased as easy as the Doors titles. Good grief, even the local "record store" here has a copy of the Perception box in stock! (Last time I checked)

There are a ton of unreleased Quad titles, and SACD/DVD-A titles that appeared then vanished. Pay to reissue those and you might make some sales!

If you look at the Top 10 in Sales for Multichannel SACD on the Acoustic Sounds web site, you'll see The Doors SACDs are there: The Doors (#2), L.A. Woman (#3), Strange Days (#5), Morrison Hotel (#6), Soft Parade (#7), Waiting for the Sun (#9).

They're even selling ahead of Dark Side of the Moon. It's pretty clear that he knows the market and what sells.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/10/Hybrid_Multichannel_SACD

As for reissuing the albums that were SACDs and DVDAs and went out of print as Downloads, that's coming. And not just from Acoustic Sounds by the way..... :)

Why would he spend all of that money to re-release titles that have been released over and over again in 5.1?
to be honest i don't buy such BS. he put perhaps 10 times more, than he really paid.
but well, i guess some people like to looks that they are suffer for greater idea

If you look at the Top 10 in Sales for Multichannel SACD on the Acoustic Sounds web site, you'll see The Doors SACDs are there: The Doors (#2), L.A. Woman (#3), Strange Days (#5), Morrison Hotel (#6), Soft Parade (#7), Waiting for the Sun (#9).

or it's just way to promote/push sales?
after all it is his site and what is real sale numbers we don't know

anyway, here is link to PDF doc. with latest research on "suffering" because of piracy, an entertaiment
industry (movies, music, books).
obviously the different readers will see/interprete it differently but statistical numbers are statistical
numbers and showing that "poor" big 3 (UMG, Sony, WEA) by making in 2012 60 billion still way too far
from death due starvation :)

media policy project

The question to reissue an album - or not - starts with the cost of rights from the record label and the artist. If the company wanting to do a reissue doesn't see a way to have the numbers pencil out (cost of rights, remastering, etc. vs. money to be made), they won't move forward with the project.

But we've heard this before on QQ - as witnessed by the comments from the guy at Universal Music who ran the SACD and DVD-A reissue program a few years back. The bottom line is that this is a business like any other where the goal is to make a net profit.

An update. These days Robert Vosgien is doing Analog Master Tape to Stereo DSD Transfers at Capitol Records for classic albums from the pre-digital era including titles by Canned Heat and Quicksilver Messenger Service. Worth a listen!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/99140/Canned_Heat-Boogie_With_Canned_Heat-DSD
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/99145/Canned_Heat-Living_The_Blues-DSD
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...ger_Service-Quicksilver_Messenger_Service-DSD
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/99148/Quicksilver_Messenger_Service-Happy_Trails-DSD

Rhino Quadio Flashback Thread - relive the fun some of you might have missed. This is a classic thread - start from the top.

Back