DVD/DTS Poll Poco - Crazy Eyes [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Poco - Crazy Eyes

• Total voters
I was never much of a Poco fan and I got into this game at the 5.1 point so a quad mix has always seemed like I was getting cheated out of the center's help.
BUT
This one gave me a great feel for why quad was so nice. I read the comments about how the 5.1 was really just the Quad with L&R summed and dialed down to make the center. So I muted that and just listened to the Quad. How clear and defined it was. One of my favorite feelings is sitting in a room with great musicians as they play. This was exactly what this disc delivered.

I also saw how there were some disappointed in the lack of reverb. For me, I think reverb is way over-used and often a crutch for substandard players or vocalists. It's not that it doesn't make things sound better, of course it does. I do sound for a fair number of video productions, and I always treat the vocals, especially since most folks will be listening on garbage ear pods.

But it was a pleasure for me to hear the individual tracks without a fog of reverb. Especially with a band that plays and sings this well. I will be listening to this one quite a few times more.

Last edited:
Great album and mix... I'll go with a 9... I just prefer Cantamos a little bit more... In fact that is one of my favourite surround albums of all time full stop!

There is a kinda ironic situation where it's actually better to stream from 360RA in either Amazon Music HD or the (now unfortunately defunct) Deezer 360RA music. But even in Apple Music, or Tidal - it should offer a marginal uplift over the dts CD bitrate?!

Let's hope D-V reissue this great album one day... :phones

I also saw how there were some disappointed in the lack of reverb. For me, I think reverb is way over-used and often a crutch for substandard players or vocalists.
IMNSHO, when I hear reverb on vocals, I always think they’re trying to cover up some flaw, unless there’s a real artistic choice being made (“Time Has Come Today” by The Chambers Brothers, e.g.). While band-aids are occasionally necessary, they are usually obvious band-aids.

IMNSHO, when I hear reverb on vocals, I always think they’re trying to cover up some flaw, unless there’s a real artistic choice being made (“Time Has Come Today” by The Chambers Brothers, e.g.). While band-aids are occasionally necessary, they are usually obvious band-aids.
You’ve just given a new meaning to “band-aids” 😜

I think I am definitely the outlier, but I hate when remixes, Atmos or otherwise remove what I consider to be essential “sound” of the original mix if they included echo or reverb and they remove it, whether they are a great vocalist or not. A good example would be if they removed the reverb from Ozzy’s vocals on “Planet Caravan” from Sabbath days. I love that effect and removing it for me would ruin the song. I even feel the same way about what some have done to George Harrison remixes. In 1970, I grew up on the Phil Spector’s All Things Must Pass mix, and I loved the echo “hall-like effect” feel of that whole album, including George’s vocals, and with GH’s own rerelease as well as the box set made the vocals straight with no effects, and to me, it’s s lesser mix. Same with Giles Martin mix of “Long, long, long” from the White album. He cleaned up the vocals of any effect, and brought the vocals front and center, and to me it sounds like a different song, and not in a good way. I liked that dark echoing sound that made you feel like it was recorded in George’s big, old, cold stone castle/mansion. In both cases I’d rather listen to the original mixes.

I think I am definitely the outlier, but I hate when remixes, Atmos or otherwise remove what I consider to be essential “sound” of the original mix if they included echo or reverb and they remove it, whether they are a great vocalist or not. A good example would be if they removed the reverb from Ozzy’s vocals on “Planet Caravan” from Sabbath days. I love that effect and removing it for me would ruin the song. I even feel the same way about what some have done to George Harrison remixes. In 1970, I grew up on the Phil Spector’s All Things Must Pass mix, and I loved the echo “hall-like effect” feel of that whole album, including George’s vocals, and with GH’s own rerelease as well as the box set made the vocals straight with no effects, and to me, it’s s lesser mix. Same with Giles Martin mix of “Long, long, long” from the White album. He cleaned up the vocals of any effect, and brought the vocals front and center, and to me it sounds like a different song, and not in a good way. I liked that dark echoing sound that made you feel like it was recorded in George’s big, old, cold stone castle/mansion. In both cases I’d rather listen to the original mixes.
So what's your vote for this Poco album then?

Good point about “Planet Caravan”…the reverb sort of IS the song 😋

Yes, sorry, that was for my SACD of Poco’s Cantamos and Seven. Still have same vote for Crazy Eyes. Wish there was a 5.1 of Legacy and Legend.
So what's your vote for this Poco album then?
So my favorite Poco album is actually their reunion album Legacy. IMHO, super strong writing and pretty evenly shared (except for Meisner), all voices in their prime and at their best, all very confident in themselves and their individual abilities by then. There's not a single song on that album I don't like nor that I find weak, or disposable. Legend is my second favorite but has a few weaker tracks I feel since it is really a Cotton-Young release.

Back