Poll: Atmos Music: Are You Going to Listen at Home?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atmos Music: Are You Going to Listen?

• Total voters
Instead of “Me Too”, it can be “Us Too”. Or, “Wee Wee Too”. Take my wife, puleeeeeze!!! :dance

Or rather ALL LIVES MATTER, Perp. Simplicity, Simplicity! Ever hear the saying "Life IS Simple ..... WE make it COMPLEX?"

And whoever coined the phrase OPPOSITES ATTRACT obviously wasn't an audiophile!

Last edited:
I can't imagine not springing for an Atmos-capable receiver when I'm forced to replace my current equipment but I've had reliability issues with all three of my most recent boxes and am reluctant to buy anything new until I have to. My circa 2000 Denon still works great in my office, but the Pioneer and two Onkyos that followed it ALL needed trips to the shop for one reason or another AND my LG 3D TV died right at the moment it became irreplaceable, so I'm currently one of those grumpy old "Everything new sucks!" people.
I was lucky. I wanted so long to have an HDMI receiver than I did both upgrades at once.

That's the problem though. If many supposedly Atmos mixes are just going to be heard folded down to 5.1 or 7.1, that's honestly and truly going to follow that discrete intentional 5.1 or 7.1 mixes will better them. Now where the hell are we?
IMHO we are in a place where lots of 5.1 material exists that never would have existed otherwise. What's so bad about that?

I read comments like this and they always just shock me to the core. I can't imagine the depression I'd sink into if I ended up with someone so incompatible with me and then actually followed through and took down a music system or settled for portable/limited stuff. Not to project what's important to me on anyone else and cause problems! I mean, I AM single but that's more from being an awkward dude than anything else.
I am blessed with a most understanding and gracious wife.

I always get shocked by the people who state that they lie to their wives about what stuff costs and hide the money from other sources. I couldn't live like that.

Last edited:
I read comments like this and they always just shock me to the core. I can't imagine the depression I'd sink into if I ended up with someone so incompatible with me and then actually followed through and took down a music system or settled for portable/limited stuff. Not to project what's important to me on anyone else and cause problems! I mean, I AM single but that's more from being an awkward dude than anything else.
Ah, but I never took the speakers down... they're now an accepted part of our Great Room, and on top of that I eventually added plasma spheres, black lights and black light artwork! The room has essentially become my "man cave", lol. It's good to be the King (as long as my Queen let's me, he he).

Question: How many music titles are in Atmos now? How many will we have next year?

If we get enough music titles, I'll buy. If we don't get enough titles, well, we've seen this movie before.
I'm sure there are lots of indie and classical things, but I only know of two major rock releases. INXS and Auttomatic for the People. The REM is enough of a desert island disc for me that it is worth it to hang two more speakers. Plus, it's not really like a sacrifice anyway, I love adding speakers!

Someone may be along shortly to point out all of the ones I missed (that would be cool).

I just upgraded everything--new AV receiver, 2 new subs, 5 new speakers and 2 atmos speakers that sit on top of the front floor standing speakers. Believe it or not, with the software that comes with most AVRs you can adjust the speakers to actually work and sound like ceiling speakers. My old receiver with the PLII Logic system actually took a song and upmixed with the Atmos and it sounded amazing. Why wouldn't I want that? I guess if you heard it, you may change your mind to the doubters. Of course the speakers aren't free, but they can easily be added like I did and get a very nice effect. I think the Atmos music is ridiculously expensive, with the exception of the INXS disc. I also have movies but they didn't seem as discreet as the music. I still feel as if it is a worthwhile upgrade. I guess it is easier if you are single and can afford it, but I would have done this regardless. Like I said, it isn't obtrusive. I am actually excited to hear the new capabilities of my new receiver with the upgraded Dolby upmixer, as well as the DTS upmixer and Aura 3d upmixer. One of those has to sound amazing! Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I'm a collector by nature... currently I'm buying tons of 4K movies, even though I can currently only watch the included blu-rays, knowing that one day I will likely upgrade to a 4k monitor. I would likely do the same with Atmos music releases, and if I accumulated enough of them I might have to add the extra speakers to see what I'm missing (but until then I would listen to the 5.1 down mixes). Right now, though, this all seems like "much ado about nothing", given that we've only seen 2 mainstream music releases so far.

I'm a collector by nature... currently I'm buying tons of 4K movies, even though I can currently only watch the included blu-rays, knowing that one day I will likely upgrade to a 4k monitor. I would likely do the same with Atmos music releases, and if I accumulated enough of them I might have to add the extra speakers to see what I'm missing (but until then I would listen to the 5.1 down mixes). Right now, though, this all seems like "much ado about nothing", given that we've only seen 2 mainstream music releases so far.

There's more than two. Metallica's Through the Never is atmos, and it's awesome. Just to hear the bombs in the opening of One is scary good. Those are the kind of effects atmos for music was made for.

The four horsemen playing Orion in atmos on an empty stage really opens up the air/space of the soundstage

Last edited:
I couldn't decide between I already have a system, or I plan to, because there wasn't a choice for "If I can ever get my electrician friend to come over and install my ceiling speakers for me".

When I started this poll thread yesterday I voted ‘I already have Atmos’ but I’m actually at the end of installing today. My 4 new ceilings speakers and all cabling installation was completed about an hour ago. I’m just about to plug them in to my AVR and do an Audessy calibration. So my first listen to real Atmos will be tonight over a few beers.:LB

I am blessed with a most understanding and gracious wife.

I always get shocked by the people who state that they lie to their wives about what stuff costs and hide the money from other sources. I couldn't live like that.
Indeed. Frightening! I get uneasy with a house guest I don't know and trust. I'm happy for anyone who found someone they can talk to and has their back.

Ah, but I never took the speakers down... they're now an accepted part of our Great Room, and on top of that I eventually added plasma spheres, black lights and black light artwork! The room has essentially become my "man cave", lol. It's good to be the King (as long as my Queen let's me, he he).

Oh good! A happy ending after all.

wait... ah screw it :D

Indeed. Frightening! I get uneasy with a house guest I don't know and trust. I'm happy for anyone who found someone they can talk to and has their back.

I've got dogs that let me know if someone may have bad intentions, kicked out a guy that my sons best friend brought over once. My Siberian/Wolf hybrid growled and gave this guy the death stare for the 5 minutes he was probably casing our house. Exit stage right, as good as that dog was my German Shepherd was absolutely the best at reading minds and acting on it. I still had discs stolen once at a party we gave, wife's co-workers wtf. (GSD was on the mantel in a box😔)

The ambisonic-like scaling part with folding down to a smaller speaker array from the original it was monitored with while mixing.

It's accurate. No argument.
It can even scale down to binaural stereo and still preserve the spacial accuracy. No argument there either and that's a fine idea in itself.
But doing that requires precision now with the playback monitoring system!

Here's an example of where I'm going with that:

You've maybe heard a live field recording before. Take a Deadhead audience recording (I don't like them either - just a recognizable example). One made with expensive accurate mics. Play that back on a reference level system and listen in the sweet spot and you have a frighteningly accurate capture and you hear just what you did at the live event.

Now play it back on an average home system. Someone's gonna comment "Oh a bootleg" from the sound. It's just a little undefined or distant. Can't crank the volume up to lifelike on that "average" system without blowing a speaker!

Now play it on a boombox (dating myself here). Kind of shitty right?

Now take a studio recording (or even a live multitrack recording actually) that is very discrete and efficient.
You can run the poor thing to a cassette. Capture it back to SD digital with an old Soundblasticator card with shitty 16 bit converters. Burn that to a CD. Rip it back and convert to an mp3. Upload it to Youtube. Do a couple more things!

The damn thing still sounds better than that field recording on an average or less system!

See what I'm saying?

Or how about just how the phantom center image on cruder speakers or out of alignment and calibration speakers falls apart? Whereas on a reference system you can walk right up to it!

That field recording - which is a truly accurate capture of a spacial audio event - falls apart quickly unless you have a dialed in reference system.
The efficient mix crafted from discrete elements can be bludgeoned and most of it is still there. The meat n' potatoes of it anyway. Do that gauntlet I suggested above to the field recording and it would be white noise and static!

As soon as we abandon some of the old school mix techniques (eg. kick drum in mono in the front stereo pair to couple the speakers, some discrete elements directly in a speaker, panning is often L C R - in-between stuff and motion are often accomplished more with Haas effect kind of tricks. You're not so much creating a sound stage. It's more like placing the raw elements of sound in a way that the system becomes the band in the room. If the speakers are positioned a little off or are not perfectly reference flat, it still works.

A fold-down that resulted in all kinds of phantom imaging would need a reference quality speaker array to hear a mix properly. In the same way that you need good quality stereo speakers properly aligned and calibrated to hear a phantom center clearly. Otherwise it gets wishy washy.

In a perfect world, we would appreciate throwing away idiosyncratic old school tricks for perfection in accuracy!
Right here right now, most folks would be listening to mush. Soundbars?! You wouldn't hear shit! (Well, actually that's exactly what you'd hear.)

There's more than two. Metallica's Through the Never is atmos, and it's awesome. Just to hear the bombs in the opening of One is scary good. Those are the kind of effects atmos for music was made for.

The four horsemen playing Orion in atmos on an empty stage really opens up the air/space of the soundstage
Hey, I’ve got this one! I guess I’m already on my way :)

Well, I see this: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductDetails?viewState=DetailView&cartID=&sku=Dolby Atmos Production Suite&&store=shop

I might just spring for $300 to be able to decode someone's album into discrete channels to audition. Then have the tools to create moving forward.

Someone recommend an album please, that has some wild 3D surround and uses the full speaker array to do it!
I' not certain, but I believe that is a plug in for ProTools. Do you have ProTools?

Back