Poll: Atmos Music: Are You Going to Listen at Home?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atmos Music: Are You Going to Listen?

• Total voters
I must admit to slacking on trying to find a title to demo for myself. Then there's the technical aspect of getting a full discreet multichannel rip to a non-proprietary format (wav or wavpak). I haven't exactly spent time learning that either. I very much need to hear something interesting in the channels to make me even remotely consider hanging speakers from the ceiling and adding a dozen or more object speakers around the room. I mean something SERIOUSLY interesting that strikes me as being ruined if folded down to 5.1 or 7.1!

Don't get me wrong. I think the idea of an over 60 speaker system is full on bad ass! Sounds like it would be a fun ride creating a mix that made for a reason for the system to exist. It's just... Can we just get more 5.1 mixes please? And free of the hyped shit mastering that has damaged so many! THEN we can start talking about your 60-some speaker 3D systems.

I changed the question by adding “at home”.

Jim, the current Atmos home system seem to be limited to 16 channel (15.1 in the ‘old’ system).

I went for reasonable quality in-ceiling speakers which sound very good and are nearly invisible. I added 4 in-ceilings to my 7.1 (a 7.1.4 system)

I voted: I’ll listen to Atmos as 5.1 or 7.1.

Essentially, I lack the motivation to upgrade because:
1. I've only got 1 Atmos album (INXS: Kick) and it's only INXS.
2. Most movies I buy have mono(!) audio cos they're old (but they're awesome and still around, like Olivia de Havilland - 102 and still kicking!).
3. I'd have to spend several thousand dollars on a new receiver and speakers, which would be even more of a mismatch between all of my speakers (yeah, I could buy new everything but I can't justify the cost).
4. Sounds silly but I have a big problem with putting holes in the walls (I waited 5 years in this house before I hung anything on the wall!).

If I was building a new house, I'd do it but I have no plans to move so it's not gonna happen. If it was cheaper and less effort, I'd be more inclined to do it but I really can't be bothered. However, I'm sure that if I did, I wouldn't regret it, probably just like you QQers who have already upgraded.

At the moment a 5.1.4 setup even though I've got 2 subs, just didn't need both with my new Marantz ,better kick than my previous AVR. I'm contemplating on going 7.1.4 if more music is released in Atmos.

I have one Atmos SACD. I would buy more if I could get them to work with headphones on the hardware that I have (my AVR will do Atmos with speakers). I have seen ads for Atmos headsets, but they require an Xbox One, which I am not going to buy just to listen to a few CDs. FWIW, I also have some Quadraphonic (Surround Sound) CDs and SACDs.

Does anyone make an Atmos optical drive and Atmos headphones that will work with a Windows 7 PC?

Last edited:
I would go Atmos if
A) I was younger and had the drive to totally revamp my system; from receiver to additional speakers not to mention all the wiring involved.
B) I would really want to do it right which would mean ceiling mounted speakers. Unfortunately, that would be very difficult in my listening room.
C) I am more of a content person, so I will be quite happy listening to a really good sounding 5.1 system if it's an album I really want to listen to.
D) I listen to music more than watching movies and I'm guessing ATMOS is more effective with connected visual content.
E) I'm lazy.:rolleyes::phones

3. I'd have to spend several thousand dollars on a new receiver and speakers, which would be even more of a mismatch between all of my speakers (yeah, I could buy new everything but I can't justify the cost).
4. Sounds silly but I have a big problem with putting holes in the walls (I waited 5 years in this house before I hung anything on the wall!).

my 4 height speakers in my 7.1.4 atmos system are upfiring. They are 90% as good as dedicated ceiling speakers so there's no valid reason for your reasons 3 and 4.
Why would heights have to be matched, they are reproducing a completely different sound than the fronts so there is no reason for a match, IMO a mismatch would actually be advantageous.

Last edited:
I don't want the cost to upgrade hardware and buy more speakers, neither do I have a large enough listening space to feel it is worth my while, let alone the mess of installing ceiling speakers.

I don't want the cost to upgrade hardware and buy more speakers, neither do I have a large enough listening space to feel it is worth my while, let alone the mess of installing ceiling speakers.

but isn't that what everyone said about quad and then 5.1?

I just don't get why everyone here upgraded from stereo to quad and then 5.1 and suddenly declared 5.1 the winner and no need to go any further.

seems rather arbitrary and, well, ignorant to me??

why is 5.1 the be all end all?

I recently splurged on a new AVR with Atmos / Auro capabilities.* The previous owner of my house had left me some nice Jambo ceiling speakers installed as rear heights, useless on my old AVR as a 7.2 wide system. Rather than do the ceiling thing, I found some nice 47' stands for my previous wides, placed them on top of the two 12-inch subs that were in the corners with my two fronts, and voila! Two new heights that actually look rather cool perched high above the subs. I do miss them as wides, though, but that would mean a new AVR and two new speakers in the future. So I'm enjoying the conversion from 7.2 to 5.2.4 that uses the Jambos.

*I should point out it was the next step up from my Denon, discontinued, and half-price! Using the wides along with the unused Jambos made it a cheap transition -- I agree that it is not yet established enough to put much money on -- but I'm happy with the result! The R.E.M. was spectacularly changed from hearing it in 7.2 previously, and I'm enjoying the upmixes.

Last edited:
but isn't that what everyone said about quad and then 5.1?

I just don't get why everyone here upgraded from stereo to quad and then 5.1 and suddenly declared 5.1 the winner and no need to go any further.

seems rather arbitrary and, well, ignorant to me??

why is 5.1 the be all end all?
I went from stereo to 5.0. I'm too young for buying into quad when it was new: no ignorance, but practicality in terms of cost, hassle, mess and family. 5.x works fine for films which is more of a family/couple thing and it's fine for usually me for music. It's a niche format for music, Atmos even more so.

I would go Atmos if
A) I was younger and had the drive to totally revamp my system; from receiver to additional speakers not to mention all the wiring involved.
B) I would really want to do it right which would mean ceiling mounted speakers. Unfortunately, that would be very difficult in my listening room.
C) I am more of a content person, so I will be quite happy listening to a really good sounding 5.1 system if it's an album I really want to listen to.
D) I listen to music more than watching movies and I'm guessing ATMOS is more effective with connected visual content.
E) I'm lazy.:rolleyes::phones
+1 & + the cost of a whole new system; somewherrrrre over the🌈 - way up high...

I went from stereo to 5.0. I'm too young for buying into quad when it was new: no ignorance, but practicality in terms of cost, hassle, mess and family. 5.x works fine for films which is more of a family/couple thing and it's fine for usually me for music. It's a niche format for music, Atmos even more so.

you bought 3 more speakers and a new receiver and discs to achieve your 5.0 niche (from stereo)?

why stop there and think that's it? Just keep expanding into the niche, that what separates stereo listeners from 5.1 just like mp3 from mlp, etc. If you're gonna expand, why stop short, take it to it's logical limit.

I'm saying, I think everyone is stopping short at 5.1 purely because of finance. If they had the money all would expand into atmos.

Don't blame technolgy for lack of finance. That's what's killed many a good technology in the past. Just because people can't afford something doesn't mean that something is bad.

I have one Atmos SACD. I would buy more if I could get them to work with headphones on the hardware that I have (my AVR will do Atmos with speakers). I have seen ads for Atmos headsets, but they require an Xbox One, which I am not going to buy just to listen to a few CDs. FWIW, I also have some Quadraphonic (Surround Sound) CDs and SACDs.

Does anyone make an Atmos optical drive and Atmos headphones that will work with a Windows 7 PC?

Welcome to the forum:hi

Assuming I can downmix Atmos to 5.1 in the short term, yes I will by Atmos formatted music. For the most part, it's a wait and see thing for me. If there appears to be significant Atmos output in the type of stuff I enjoy, yes I would eventually upgrade. So my vote was the "Maybe" option.

Back