Poll: What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

• Total voters
Mine is a 5.3.4 - 5 on the floor, 3 subs and 4 overheads. But it is not Atmos. I can play true 5.1 & 7.1, but my front overheads get a processed center channel feed. You can read about it in a post I made. Search for Frankenstein Atmos.

Stupid question, what is the main difference between 1 sub and 4? Isn’t it overwhelming?
Actually quite the opposite @madscot. When implemented properly in a "Distributed Bass Array", four subwoofers strategically located at different points within the room will provide beneficial "modal averaging". The DBA smooths out the worst of the low frequency peaks and troughs which our domestic room dimensions would otherwise inflict on the bass region when you employ fullrange stereo loudspeakers or only a single sub. But wait, there are more benefits!

Your satellite loudspeakers whether stereo or multi-channel, can be placed for optimal soundstage and imaging performance without regard to the frequencies in the subwoofer pass-band. And the four subs go where they will collectively make the most extended and smoothest bass. Inevitably this will be at very different locations!

Finally running a multi-subwoofer array offers the further benefit of absolutely effortless low frequency performance. Where a single subwoofer would be working hard at high volume levels, dividing the output requirements across four subs leaves the individual subs just cruising along in their most linear and lowest distortion operational range- at any volume level.

Last edited:
Actually quite the opposite @madscot. When implemented properly in a "Distributed Bass Array", four subwoofers strategically located at different points within the room will provide beneficial "modal averaging". The DBA smooths out the worst of the low frequency peaks and troughs which our domestic room dimensions would otherwise inflict on the bass region when you employ fullrange stereo loudspeakers or only a single sub. But wait, there are more benefits!
I only have one SUB.

I think that the modal averaging and removing or diminishing the bass valleys and peaks on the room is interesting when you have several listening seats, even several rows in a Home Theater.

I'm the only critical listener at home (single row), my MLP is sound calibrated as much as I've been able to do it. My wife does not care for that, and we have few visitors to watch films. When I want to demo the "sound quality" and the "Atmos effects" to someone, I kindly let him sit in my MLP :)

I always thought the benefit of implementing several SUBs just for one single MLP was minimal. Also, more complicated to properly calibrate.

Am I wrong?

I think you mean upmixing.
Yea, that too. LOL
DSU does activate the Wides. It is good, maybe more surroundy (wide), but I didn't A-B compare DSU with and without Wides. Also DSU did improve when introducing support for Wides, and the DSU upmix quality is near to the Auromatic.
Thanks for the response!
That's what I had in mind with my question, if DSU would get the wides active with the various non-discrete wides sources.
I've got a new Denon AVR X4700H on the way and will have the ablity to try some of these other layouts but I'm not sure if my room is wide enough to take any real advantage of these formats?
BTW I'd just like to post this warning here. I'm getting the new Denon mainly because a close lightning strike took out my Marantz AV7703 pre/pro, my server computer, and a few other small things. I'd procrastinated putting in some serious surge protection for years and am now seriously sorry I never did.
I highly recommend putting a few $hundred into getting the best you can get. We all have some major money invested in our rigs, don't let your stuff get smoked if it can be avoided. ;)

I'm the only critical listener at home (single row), my MLP is sound calibrated as much as I've been able to do it. My wife does not care for that, and we have few visitors to watch films. When I want to demo the "sound quality" and the "Atmos effects" to someone, I kindly let him sit in my MLP :)

I always thought the benefit of implementing several SUBs just for one single MLP was minimal. Also, more complicated to properly calibrate.

Am I wrong?
Yes,
It's much more about getting your bass response as smooth as possible before attempting to use DRC to try and muscle things into tune.
Here's a great article by SVS on the subject
https://www.soundandvision.com/images/svs1/dualsubs.html

I only have one SUB.

I think that the modal averaging and removing or diminishing the bass valleys and peaks on the room is interesting when you have several listening seats, even several rows in a Home Theater.

Am I wrong?
With typically sized and constructed domestic sized listening rooms and a single (or even stereo) sub(s) there is no practical way to significantly mitigate the negative impact your room's modal behavior will have on bass frequencies. Even when optimizing for a single listening seat. The modal averaging gained from a well implemented multi-subwoofer distributed bass array offers measurable and audible smoothing whether the focus is on a single listening seat or a larger listening area.

In my room with 3 seats abreast, I further optimize low frequency performance exclusively for the center seat with DSP PEQ and time delay applied only to the subwoofer passband. Like you, I'm not particularly concerned about perfection at the adjacent seating. When keen audio buddies visit, we take turns in the "hot seat."

To accomplish this I don't bother with the Anthem ARC Genesis room correction in my pre-processor. DSP based room correction really only works in the low midrange and bass frequencies (below 500Hz) anyway, down where wavelengths are relatively long. Instead I employ targeted passive acoustic treatment and feed the subwoofer array with a standalone DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 loudspeaker controller operated in its "multi-sub mode". That way the same subwoofer-only DSP processing can be shared between both the multi-channel front end and a separate/independent all analog stereo source, preamplification, and subwoofer crossover signal chain. In my big rig, only the L & R main ATC loudspeaker pair, DSPeaker AM2.0 subwoofer processor, and the Seaton subwoofer array are shared between stereo and multi-channel listening. The silver front end components are stereo while the black components are multi-channel.

IMG_0844.JPG

I always used 5.2.2... w/ front uppers. But I've always enjoyed going back to 7.2... and most recently I have stayed there... I find it much more interesting and fun.

Many AVRs have two LFE outputs but no Atmos releases have two LFE channels. The AVR just sends same signal to both LFE outs (dual mono). Maybe the processor shifts phase a little, but it’s still dual mono.

24 channel spacial has two LFE channels (22.2) but current AVRs max out at 16 channel. Guess the next ‘upgrade’ that’s coming?

Edit: 22.2 adds: 3 Top Centre (centre for current 3 top rows), a back centre, 2nd LFE and a couple of front heights on wall (I think…)

Last edited:
I always used 5.2.2... w/ front uppers. But I've always enjoyed going back to 7.2... and most recently I have stayed there... I find it much more interesting and fun.
My setup is 5.1.2 and I find a 7.1 soundtrack sounds better than an atmos one, very strange, buying upfiring speakers is one of the worst home cinema decisions i’ve ever made ☹️

Many AVRs have two LFE outputs but no Atmos releases have two LFE channels. The AVR just sends same signal to both LFE outs (dual mono). Maybe the processor shifts phase a little, but it’s still dual mono.

24 channel spacial has two LFE channels (22.2) but current AVRs max out at 16 channel. Guess the next ‘upgrade’ that’s coming?

Edit: 22.2 adds: 3 Top Centre (centre for current 3 top rows), a back centre, 2nd LFE and a couple of front heights on wall (I think…)
I had two subs for stereo playback purposes before converting the system to surround. I still have my old home theater system, which is 7.1 with all satellite speakers that bottom out at 120 Hz. I might get around to adding four ceiling speakers to that. I'd need a new receiver too.

Back