Poll: What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your current Atmos speaker layout?

• Total voters
No, it’s not only the speakers on the ceiling that would be a problem, my other half thinks I have too many speakers as it is, not to mention cables everywhere, no chance at all 😳

I have that problem too. I actually have three surround systems:

1) The aforementioned 5.2.2 system in my ground floor man-cubby hole in the town house. Had it wired for side surrounds and two ceiling speakers when it was built three years ago. All speakers are wife-approved.

2) A 5.1 system in the town house living room with all speakers prewired in the ceiling, which was all the wife would allow in there. We don't use it very much.

3) The aforementioned 7.1 system in the basement of the cabin. I think I can do whatever I want down there.

No, it’s not only the speakers on the ceiling that would be a problem, my other half thinks I have too many speakers as it is, not to mention cables everywhere, no chance at all 😳

I have that problem too. I actually have three surround systems:
I had the dictator problem too.
Sent her down the road and now I not only can do exactly as I please but I also have more money to do it with. ;)
YMMV

My system started as 7.2, then went to 5.2.4 Dolby Atmos, but I missed my wides, so with a new AVR and
spare speakers I now have 7.2.4. Somehow the wides seem to act differently, but the soundstage is
sooo much better now. I was also able to upgrade to HDMI 2 so that my TV now streams Dolby Atmos
(tested using "Stranger Things" and "The Sandman" on Netflix) using eARC and I love it all!

My AVR (Sony STR-DN1080) only allows 2 hight speakers so my home theater setup is 5.2.2. In the future I would like to upgrade to an AVR that supports 4 hight speakers. As is I am enjoying the setup I have but I think it could be so much better with additional hight speakers.

A 7.0.4 upgrade here. I’ve just added 2 wides and the difference is night and day. Now I can start listening again from the scratch, as everything Atmos sounds totally unbelievable here.

Weird, all I did was use my 1st AVR Pioneer (no HDMI) as external power amp for my rear heights, added two bookshelves to the sides (I use towers for fronts and rears) and switched the cables for surrounds and surrounds back. Then tweaked the volume levels on my Denon AVR-X4400H by ear a little bit and that was it.

Oh my, Xmas came early for me this year. Time to get a little naughty with the volume 🔊🎵

Last edited:
A 7.0.4 upgrade here. I’ve just added 2 wides and the difference is night and day. Now I can start listening again from the scratch, as everything Atmos sounds totally unbelievable here.

Weird, all I did was use my 1st AVR Pioneer (no HDMI) as external power amp for my rear heights, added two bookshelves to the sides (I use towers for fronts and rears) and switched the cables for surrounds and surrounds back. Then tweaked the volume levels on my Denon AVR-X4400H by ear a little bit and that was it.

Oh my, Xmas came early for me this year. Time to get a little naughty with the volume 🔊🎵
So you're running wides but no rears?

So you're running wides but no rears?
Wides and rears - I guess I should've said I changed 'surround' cables to 'surround back' outputs and added wides to 'surround'... Basically tried to say so little effort, so tremendous outcome... Should (and could!) have done this more than a year ago!😵‍💫🎃

Wides and rears - I guess I should've said I changed 'surround' cables to 'surround back' outputs and added wides to 'surround'... Basically tried to say so little effort, so tremendous outcome... Should (and could!) have done this more than a year ago!😵‍💫🎃
So with wides you mean side surrounds? 90- 120 degrees from the listening chair? Wides normally goes between front and side surrounds.

Back