Poll: Would you use a new Surround Poll for 'Atmos Streaming Content'?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use a new Atmos Surround Poll for Streaming?

• Yes - but it should include all Atmos releases (BDA and Streaming)

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • Yes - just for Atmos streaming

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I don't care I never look at polls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Members have suggested we add a new Surround Poll for Atmos streaming content.

If this was implemented a new Poll Section would be added for 'Atmos' and a separate poll thread would be added for each new release. The new Atmos Poll results would be added to the QQ Surround Poll summary page with downloadable PDF versions and updated each month.

Here's your chance to vote and post your opinion:

I‘m also for the streaming option.
The physical outputs can stay in the Hi-Rez section.
I love the polls as they got me in so many new artists I would have never listened to.
So not only the poll for itself would be nice, but also to have suggestions and inspiration to listen to new music.
I totally understand that only full albums should be involved.

I voted for combining physical and streaming releases because in the end they are the same mix and it can be a bit confusing to report them on two separate places
Jep, but I would not double them.
When there are physical releases we don‘t need a „lossless“ version also in the streaming Atmos section.

Voted for the 'streaming only' option.

Random notes:
- We can always move the title to the hi-rez section if a physical copy is released afterwards, right?
- Also, we can always change our votes for individual titles once/if the technical stuff is sorted out by Tidal.
- However, there's a few Atmos titles available for download in hi-rez (Matt Darey, IAA), so where do we put these? I'd treat them as physical copies, personally.

I'm not a big poll voter anyway, but I appreciate being able to profit from reading other members' opinions. And as there are lots of Atmos titles that are (so far) streaming only, there should probably be polls for them. That said, the creator of the poll for a given title could try to list all of the formats, physical, download, and streaming, in which it's available, and voters could specify which version(s) they're basing their vote on.

I think we should leave the ATMOS physical releases in the Hi Rez Poll myself. Anyone can purchase a copy of a release. They don't have to be subscribed to a particular streaming service to listen to the title.
Do all streaming services provide all of the same titles? If they don't will you have to state which service has the release and should that have it's own sortable column?
Has it been verified that the streaming versions of the songs are the same mix as the physical releases?

If it's decided to create a poll that combines the physical and streaming entries, please create a format column so we could sort by format as well.

One additional issue (complication?)...Atmos listener setup...7.1.4 or...

I don't know if there are just a few Atmos configurations or if it's practical to include checkboxes for the various configurations.

Kirk Bayne
This gets more and more complicated.
We also have the other polls and users have different configurations 4.0, 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2.
That was never a point.
A usual Atmos poll like the others would be nice.

We've been dealing with various formats for a long time in the Polls i.e. SQ / Q8 etc. and then- dts / DVD-A / BD / SACD etc.

The Atmos mixes should mix down from the most extensive speaker configurations, so I'm not too concerned with that aspect. But, I do believe a Poll (if an Atmos mix of a title is created) should only be provided for a complete album of work and not just a song or two. This piece meal of some songs Atmos and others not, bothers me a bit.

There have also been opinions that a number of Atmos mixes sound like up-mixes; so it would be great to have some consensus on what mixes really shine (and who mixed them.)

Being an early drum banger for Dolby Atmos music, I think a streaming only Poll would make sense.
How about including a link for the song/album as well, to show from whichever source it was obtained. And it would help everyone who is interested but not yet heard it, to make an informed choice/decision.

To me the quality is good enough,I've compared some disc's against streaming,but even if I can hear a small difference,it's not a dealbreaker to me.
And I save big bucks by not having to buy big box's with all the other stuff that I don't want just to get the Atmos mix.
At my age I think streaming Atmos music will be along long after I'm gone. :cool:

One additional issue (complication?)...Atmos listener setup...7.1.4 or...

I don't know if there are just a few Atmos configurations or if it's practical to include checkboxes for the various configurations.

The current polls don't collect system information: Quad only, Subwoofer(s), 7.1, full range speakers/bookshelf speakers/sounbar, AVR vs Mono amps, decoder type, etc.

This info is irrelevant. Voting is relative to a members personal listening experience on their system.

I think it should be for albums and BDA/Streaming/Downloads as that is how the music will be distributed. I also think the Atmos poll should be different from the 'normal' surround as the listener's experience will differ from Quad/5.1/7.1 because of height speakers.

Maybe have a separate poll for different tracks ranked by an Artist if thats all that is available.

I don't have Atmos, not sure if I will or won't. If I do it'll be 5.0.4 (don't ban Snood, ban the LFE 😆)! I am fairly vehemently against renting music, so not up for streaming.

Back