Poll: Would you use a new Surround Poll for 'Atmos Streaming Content'?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you use a new Atmos Surround Poll for Streaming?

• Yes - but it should include all Atmos releases (BDA and Streaming)

Votes: 31 49.2%
  • Yes - just for Atmos streaming

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I don't care I never look at polls

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Because of low quality and it's ephemeral.
I get your take. You think it will be a short lived fad??

Perhaps the quality will improve as technology continues to evolve with streaming and bitrates. Although I will say, there really is no good reason why the bitrate can't be higher than the 768kbps currently.

I voted for streaming. I have a marantz 5+wides.0.4 setup with floorstander Dynaudios that to me sounds incredible when compared to 500k and 1M systems I do from time to time. I even played it for a Dolby Director and he liked it.

The thing with Atmos is that it is very easy to trick the brain with the appearance of heights when in fact no sound is coming off the tops. So I built a project box with a smoked plexi cover that has 5 of these guys to show me what speaker the objects are coming out of.(left out the center).

51Jy3NNMUrL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

They are xlr y split. I suggest this is an inexpensive way to make informed assessments, I hate when movie reviewers claim there is good heights usage in an atmos movie when in fact said movie has diddly squat (ie. Apocalypse Now 4k) the lofty chopper blade effects with the exception of 2 7 second segments are all reproduced by the floor level speakers, not unlike how it was done in 6 track stereo in 1979.

Again even if you have 2 tops just getting one of these will confirm how much usage is being given to those ceiling speakers.

I get your take. You think it will be a short lived fad??

Perhaps the quality will improve as technology continues to evolve with streaming and bitrates. Although I will say, there really is no good reason why the bitrate can't be higher than the 768kbps currently.
I don't think it will be short-lived. I do think it will hurt blu-ray distribution. There is already a lot of steaming-only Atmos music.
So, I think, overall, we're in for lower quality, increasingly, as a mainstay. I hope streaming quality greatly improves. Or that downloads become more prolific. Or both. But, BD is still my favorite.

I don't think it will be short-lived. I do think it will hurt blu-ray distribution. There is already a lot of steaming-only Atmos music.
So, I think, overall, we're in for lower quality, increasingly, as a mainstay. I hope streaming quality greatly improves. Or that downloads become more prolific. Or both. But, BD is still my favorite.
For sure physical disc would be the preferred delivery for Atmos. For all intents and purposes physical media is joining the dinosaurs. 😢

Because of low quality and it's ephemeral.

And, in many cases (as Baggy pointed out), exclusive to streaming. I'd have no problem with Atmos streaming if the titles on offer at Tidal, Apple, et al were also available as, say, high-res downloads. I get that streaming is convenient for some people--and that the bitrate is high enough for some people. And it can be a good tool for discovery. But like Duncan, I don't like to rent my music.

I totally agree. There is no reason for the abysmal 768kbps bitrate currently being used. Even 44.1k/16bit lossless stereo streamed by Tidal and Apple will consume over 1Mbps (variable, not fixed, bitrate). HiRes (96k/24bit) on Tidal will be well over 2Mbps. So, why limit Atmos to 768k? You can definitely hear the effect of compression, and it ruins the experience for me. Using 1.5Mbps, still lossy, would make a huge improvement.

I wonder if this is a Dolby decision? Dolby has always used too much compression in all of their mainstream codecs.

I don't have Atmos...dont know if i will one day or not but i think physical discs should be seperate catogory / poll vs streaming

If we do add an Atmos music poll sub-forum I could create the new Atmos Poll summary/table report to include Atmos releases from both the hires sub-forum and new streaming Atmos section. Users could then see all Atmos releases in the one summary. (Just an idea at this point - no additional work required as it will be automated).

Currently we (the moderators) are waiting on the QQ website admins to confirm if we can automate poll threads
creation, which greatly reduces the work required to add new polls. This will also enable us to add many new releases to other poll sub-forums, especially Legacy Quad (LPs & Tapes) where there’s hundreds of releases we’d like to add.

I had to look up "ephemeral"... :eek: :eek:

This actually makes me very sad for U youngins! Why? Cuz if everything becomes saved on some companies server farm what happens in say 3, 5, 10, 20 years going forward???

Nothing might be preserved for future generations. Cuz some business executive in a suit decides the server is to full n decides to hit that big bad delete button and all those "words n music" disappears into the ether forever!

SAD 😔

This actually makes me very sad for U youngins! Why? Cuz if everything becomes saved on some companies server farm what happens in say 3, 5, 10, 20 years going forward???

Nothing might be preserved for future generations. Cuz some business executive in a suit decides the server is to full n decides to hit that big bad delete button and all those "words n music" disappears into the ether forever!

SAD 😔
Dont they still print dictionaries?

Dont they still print dictionaries?

Words n Music have meaning feelings n emotions and change meanings over the years ...
The word "gay" used to mean happy ....todays world it means homosexual.
The word "mother" or "father" used to mean ur parents ur mom or dad...now here in USA they want to eliminate these terms/ words n change it to "birthing people"

Id like to b the fly on the wall when some 20yr old calls his mom birthing parent n she backslaps him right across his face!

Point is if eventually all printed media disappears n everything is on the servers WHO controls what is preserved??? or Not?

Back