HiRez Poll Polyphonic Spree - TOGETHER WE'RE HEAVY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Polyphonic Spree - TOGETHER WE'RE HEAVY

• Total voters
I agree with Dr. Simple about the "Partridge Family" comment...
If you mixed The Flaming Lips with the Partridge Family & an orchestral brass ensemble - this is what you'd get....:yikes

The mix is quite good too!!!

for me the mix is mostly great and absolutely amazing at times.. I don't dislike the music, though its a bit sappy and saccharine at times, its got its moments..

..it's just - and this is rare for me, as I'm a fan of the centre channel - I wish they hadnt discretely steered the guys' voice into the centre.. when he goes into a higher register I find it bordering on painful and there's a "whiney" intonation to it that gets grating after a few songs..!! I guess I could just silence the centre/him..!

oh and I agree with previous comments about distortion/compression issues, there's a kind of bass "overload" (for want of a better desc.!?) which gives the rhythm section an almost 'chuggy' feel and takes away a bit from the lighter poppy sprightly/breezier feel of some of the uptempo numbers..

..plus I find it just a tiny bit bright - although that seems to happen on a fair number of DTS Ent's discs, which is a shame as I love the vast majority of their surround mixes.

still I'll vote pretty high here when I've heard it a few more times, despite my gripes I do like it quite a bit! the rear use being v.sympathetic to the material and really thoughtfully done I reckon.

I've been picking up some discs I never purchased the first time around. A friend of mine was telling me how much they were into Polyphonic Spree and I did a little research and found this surround title by them. Just got it today and have been listening for the first time. I could understand that the music might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I am really enjoying it. There is a lot going on in the band. There are 22 members, so lots of instrumentation and vocals. There is a lot of discrete sound coming from each channel. I really am enjoying it. I'd suggest if you had not heard the group and were thinking of buying you might want to preview a few tracks online first to see if it's something you'd enjoy. It almost reminds me of a soundtrack to a musical. All in all, I gave it a 9. I see in the poll that the voting is spread all over the place, so definitely differing opinions on the disc.

Back