HiRez Poll Polyphonic Spree - TOGETHER WE'RE HEAVY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Polyphonic Spree - TOGETHER WE'RE HEAVY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations.......(y) (n)

Definately a 10. Mix is great. Generally warm room filling sound. Great music. It is my current favourite and could be the disc of the year. I haven't heard any of the 5 Elton John discs that have come out as we haven't received them yet in the frozen north and with all the waiting I have lost the urge to pick them up, frankly. However, they will have to have extremely excellent mixes to beat the Polyphonic Spree disc.

oofah! A 10!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the best surround disc of the year for my money! It's everything Guy said it is. Hard to beat!

Been trying to get this in the UK, as everyone I have read a report by thinks it is very good.
But it seems to be "item is unavailable" at every store I try.

Anyone got a UK supplier for this please?

The guy that voted "waste of plastic" should have his hearing and musical sensibilities checked! Well I guess that just proves that there is one in every crowd.

Guy Robinson said:
The guy that voted "waste of plastic" should have his hearing and musical sensibilities checked! Well I guess that just proves that there is one in every crowd.
Or he should visit "www.luddite.com"

Guy Robinson said:

It is I. Yup, the sound is excellent but I cannot stand the 'music.'

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
It is I. Yup, the sound is excellent but I cannot stand the 'music.'

Kal

So I guess you vote differently than I do. I usually use 5 points for the sound/mix and 5 points for the music. If the music totally sucks but the sonics/mix is great it is a 5. If both suck then it is a 1.

Guy Robinson said:
So I guess you vote differently than I do. I usually use 5 points for the sound/mix and 5 points for the music. If the music totally sucks but the sonics/mix is great it is a 5. If both suck then it is a 1.

Well, the rating system is one thing; the issue of whether I will ever listen to it again is another. My criteria include the standard that technical superiority cannot trump a complete lack of musical interest.

Of course, that's a very personal determination and, no doubt, those who rate this one very highly will have commensurately low opinions of what I like.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
Well, the rating system is one thing; the issue of whether I will ever listen to it again is another. My criteria include the standard that technical superiority cannot trump a complete lack of musical interest.

Of course, that's a very personal determination and, no doubt, those who rate this one very highly will have commensurately low opinions of what I like.

Kal

It sounds like a few of our members who are having trouble finding it may be interested in buying it from you.

And the reason I rate things the way I do is to take that bias away from the music. This being a surround site the most important thing is the sonics/mix of the surround presentation. The music is secondary as some people like some artists and others don't. Not everyone will like B Spears or Crystal method. The 5/5 rating system helps to weigh the score by taking away some of the musical bias applied.

So just to drive the point home a "1" to me would be the Peter Green Fleetwood Mac fiasco where the music and the sonics both truly suck bringing the entire thing down to a 1 or 2 rating.

Calm down people, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've had this one since it was released and I must admit I have been unable to get through more than the first track or two. I won't vote on it until I do manage to listen all the way through (or if I manage to listen all the way through). Since (almost) everyone else loves it so much I am hoping that it will grow on me.

P.S. I would say that a disc that will never be listened to again is in fact a 'waste of plastic' as it has no purpose other than to be played.

I guess I take a more holistic view... it is only a waste of plastic if the total units of the disc produced outstrips demand for those who enjoy listening to it. Even then, it is only a marginal waste of plastic. Others, obviously, take a much more personal view. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

ahh, it all gets back to the microeconomic value of the individual disc to its owner vs. the macroeconomic value of the recording as a whole. Good point...

The whole scoring process is very subjective. Is 5 the average? And, should I give a disc a 5 if it is about average in quality based upon the discs that I own (and I am picky about which discs I buy, thereby skewing my average), or do I rate a disc based upon what I believe the average to be among all of the discs available? (Obviously I have too much time on my hands) I often rate a disc's mix based upon what I believe the average mix to be from the whole population of mch. discs. So, any disc I buy I assume is much better than the Silverline discs that I have never heard - so must be greater than 5. I'm thinking that is why we see so many discs rated to highly - have any discs received a cumlative score below average (5)? Or, is it because we don't spend our time rating discs we all believe to be inferior?

Sorry, been thinking about this a little bit - please feel free to ignore. My main point is that if Kal doesn't feel like the plastic in his copy of the disc is serving a useful purpose, he should feel free to vote that way.

BS

P.S. I don't take myself very seriously, so you shouldn't either. I find that the subjectivity of it all and the seriousness that it sometimes generates to be amusing.

Guy Robinson said:
It sounds like a few of our members who are having trouble finding it may be interested in buying it from you.

I already gave it away. I do not sell review copies for profit.

Kal

Kal Rubinson said:
I already gave it away. I do not sell review copies for profit.

Kal

Kal,
I have a great idea! Next time you get a disc you could send it to me and I could do a kind of "point/counter point" review with you. :rolleyes:

BananaSlug said:
P.S. I would say that a disc that will never be listened to again is in fact a 'waste of plastic' as it has no purpose other than to be played.

Since you found someone willing to take it (and hopefully enjoy it) I fail to see where waste has occured.

BananaSlug, I'm with you... it's all in fun! Even the pseudo-serious stuff is just fun. In the end, the polls really don't mean much anyway, but I do enjoy them! I think this is the best thing Jon has come up with for the site.

I do think we tend to put up stuff that folks are more prone to enjoy, and this skews the results towards the top-end. Perhaps Jon can use one week to put up some titles that are generally regarded as stinkers, just for fun?

And Kal, why don't you bug Jon to put up some titles you really do enjoy. I wouldn't mind seeing some classical titles in the poll, a healthy percentage of which I would rate pretty high.

Back