HiRez Poll Polyphonic Spree - TOGETHER WE'RE HEAVY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Polyphonic Spree - TOGETHER WE'RE HEAVY

• Total voters
Cai Campbell said:
Since you found someone willing to take it (and hopefully enjoy it) I fail to see where waste has occured.

BananaSlug, I'm with you... it's all in fun! Even the pseudo-serious stuff is just fun. In the end, the polls really don't mean much anyway, but I do enjoy them! I think this is the best thing Jon has come up with for the site.

I do think we tend to put up stuff that folks are more prone to enjoy, and this skews the results towards the top-end. Perhaps Jon can use one week to put up some titles that are generally regarded as stinkers, just for fun?

And Kal, why don't you bug Jon to put up some titles you really do enjoy. I wouldn't mind seeing some classical titles in the poll, a healthy percentage of which I would rate pretty high.

Yeah Cai! Jon, put up that E. Power Biggs Bach SACD. That damn thing rattles my entire house and makes the dog cower.

Use the Peter Green Fleetwood disc as the stinker posting.

Cai Campbell said:
And Kal, why don't you bug Jon to put up some titles you really do enjoy. I wouldn't mind seeing some classical titles in the poll, a healthy percentage of which I would rate pretty high.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind giving some mind numbing opera discs a 1 !!! ;)

Many titles that I have put up are titles that members have PM'd me to put up. That is what I asked for in my original post.

When I have "strayed" from the "middle", like Stankonia, for example, we have gotten very few votes. What does that say? I would rather have titles with a lot of activity at first, however.

If Kal or anyone want to suggest a few great classical titles, I'm for that. This would give people like me who like classical from time to time an idea of what there is that is out there that is good in surround. When I see a sea of classical SACDs, for example, many of the same title (How many Four Seasons discs are there?) I have no idea of what is good or what is ambience or bad.

As far as personal preferences, if you look at the poll chart, there are some great discs with one "1" vote. I have been tempted to delete those votes, but in fairness, I leave them there.

I only hope that if someone votes low, it is because they really do not think the disc is any good, and not because they do not like that "type" of music or the artist.

For example, if we get a few classical discs up there, I would not want a bunch of rockers voting "1" just because they do not like classical. If you don't like something, don't buy it. If you buy it and it sucks to you, let us know.

Hey, I could list the Looney Tunes DVD-A!!!! :D

Guy Robinson said:
Kal,
I have a great idea! Next time you get a disc you could send it to me and I could do a kind of "point/counter point" review with you. :rolleyes:

Since I get most of the MCH releases, I make a big bag of my rejects and have them distributed to other needy(!) Stereophile reviewers who might like them.

Kal

Damn, I kinda liked that Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac Disc.

Is there a poll around? I'd like to give it a 7.

JonUrban said:
Many titles that I have put up are titles that members have PM'd me to put up. That is what I asked for in my original post.

Jon, if possible you might put up some of the RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence SACDs. I have not really paid attention to classical music since High School music class and although I am aware of many composers and some of the major works, I never purchased or seriously sat down and listened to any classical, well, except for The 1812 Overture(the cannons:D) which I think we have all probably heard and /or have but, these 3CH recordings are great, they are not your average pop-oriented stick an instrument in every speaker approach to MCh playback, they are just the opposite, sit back close your eyes and that orchestra is right there in your living room, very defined and dependable locations, and then think about the fact that much of this music was played in halls or venues over 100 years ago and it really becomes a very nice experience.

And this is coming from a guy who has listened to rock primarily for the last 30yrs, but I have definitely expanded my horizons to include classical, and what makes that even better, being a HiRez fan, is there is quite a bit of material out there to try. I actually feel like a kid discovering something new. :)

Jim

Hmm, hate to drag this discussion back to this PARTICULAR release (ahem)...

I just got this in the mail the other day and took it for a spin this afternoon. WOW, what a fantastic release. I'm way into that whole "orchestral pop" sound, personally, so musically this album was right up my alley. (Makes me want to go out and pick up their first one, though I get the impression it's not as good as this one.) But that surround mix - holy moley! :eek: This is definitely "demo" material, if only to show your friends and neighbors what being entirely submersed in a surround mix is like. This is absolutely the perfect material to show off the true potential for surround sound. I can see myself chilling out with this one for years to come.

FYI, I haven't bought a lot of DVD-A titles (I don't actually have a DVD-A player - just an SACD that handles DD and DTS), but I noticed that this particular title lacks both a DD surround mix, as well as a high-rez stereo mix. All you get is the PCM stereo, DTS surround, and high-rez surround. Interesting.

dprokopy said:
Hmm, hate to drag this discussion back to this PARTICULAR release (ahem)...

I just got this in the mail the other day and took it for a spin this afternoon. WOW, what a fantastic release. I'm way into that whole "orchestral pop" sound, personally, so musically this album was right up my alley. (Makes me want to go out and pick up their first one, though I get the impression it's not as good as this one.) But that surround mix - holy moley! :eek: This is definitely "demo" material, if only to show your friends and neighbors what being entirely submersed in a surround mix is like. This is absolutely the perfect material to show off the true potential for surround sound. I can see myself chilling out with this one for years to come.

FYI, I haven't bought a lot of DVD-A titles (I don't actually have a DVD-A player - just an SACD that handles DD and DTS), but I noticed that this particular title lacks both a DD surround mix, as well as a high-rez stereo mix. All you get is the PCM stereo, DTS surround, and high-rez surround. Interesting.

I'm glad that there is another "gusher" on this board other than myself.

Cai Campbell said:
Perhaps Jon can use one week to put up some titles that are generally regarded as stinkers, just for fun?

Great idea.

You can start with Blue Oyster Cult AOF.
(Forget about bludgeoning the Silverline dreck -- why waste cyberspace?)

I just got this one, and upon first listen i didn't like it too much at all. But after listening to it for the second time, it grew a little on me. Maybe something i would get out once in a while to hear something different. But then again i may end up selling it after a while, time will tell. Anyway i would rate the music as 5 and the surround mix as 7, for a average of 6. Fair.

Just gave this one an 8.
Finally managed to get the thing after 5 months or so waiting for it to become available here in the UK, and it is well worth the wait.
The mix is good and aggressive, which I like, and the clarity is not quite what it perhaps could be - seems overcompressed and almost distorted in places.
Also, the band have definitely been listening to their mid sixties Beatles discs.
These reasons are the only ones I downmarked it on, as well as the 24/48 resolution instead of full 24/96.
Another reason to downmark it is the absence of a DD Surround track. Okay - it's a DVD-A, but for compatibility it is a bit odd & unusual to have a DTS surround but not a Dolby one, given that DTS support is optional & requires special equipment.

The extras are fun.
I like the idea of the mix builds, going from rhythm > rhythm & orchestra > rhythm & orchestra & choir > full mix. That is fun listening to the buildup.
I also liked the 2 different videos included, and the option for LPCM stereo or DTS is again good, but would have benefitted from a Dolby track, just for maximum compatibility. Otherwise you are instantly alienating potential buyers who may only have a DD based surround setup with no DTS. Which is common, sad to say.
For the production job done, one less video and a Dolby soundtrack would have given it a 9.
24/96 would have been a full 10.

As long as you can play the disc, you should go buy it ASAP.

Have a banana:banana:

neil wilkes said:
Just gave this one an 8.
the clarity is not quite what it perhaps could be - seems overcompressed and almost distorted in places.

I know what you mean. Some of the "choir" parts and even the guitars at time are like this. A bit annoying.

This one is just too syrupy sweet for me. Not a bad mix, just couldn’t get past the Partridge Family style of music…

Bob R said:
Damn, I kinda liked that Peter Green - Fleetwood Mac Disc.
It's really hard to go wrong when Peter Green is involved, no matter how bad the recording quality! :phones

The mix is good and aggressive, which I like, and the clarity is not quite what it perhaps could be - seems overcompressed and almost distorted in places.
I agree, dynamic range in this title has been reduced to a waveform approaching a 2X4.

The original recording session was 48/24 so I have no prob with a bit-for-bit representation of the master - now if only they would have backed off about 6-8db on the limiter!

Pity it wasn't 96/24 but it still sounds good to me.

I like the mix and especially Track 2, Hold Me Now. Very uplifting music, I'll give it an 8

I just listened to this again for the first time in months, maybe years, and possibly for the first time since upgrading to a decent receiver and speakers, and I must say it's better than I remember it. I'm glad to see that I gave it a 9 many years ago.

I'll agree with those who say it's a bit too sugary, a bit too "Partridge Family", but they do it well. And I agree that at times it is too compressed, but the mix is adventurous and the sonics are balanced.

This disc is a real surround joy, if you're in the mood for a little sugar ah honey honey.

Back